Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, Speedometer, Gas & Headlights With Level and Larger Tires?

FastHamFreddy

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Project Manager
Tried searching the forum and couldn't find anything on this.

Recently purchased a 2021 F150 XLT crew cab 4x4, with the 302A High package, Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0, and Powerboost motor.

Looking to do a 2" level and eventually either 33" or 34" tires in the near future and had a few questions and was curious if anyone had any experience with this.

1.) I have seen in previous years (models) some had to adjust their lights downward when lifting the front end, do you need to do this with the LED lights that are on the 302A high package? I know it automatically works your brights and whatnot but did not know if anything needed to be adjusted when the front end is lifted.

2.) Will the adaptive cruise control, and lane centering with the Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 still work as intended, or will that also need to be adjusted?

3.) Will the speedometer need to be adjusted with the 2" level, or only after the larger tires are installed?

4.) I know both leveling and larger tires will effect my mpg, but will I need to have the gas gauge adjusted as well? Have seen other forums state when they did the math, they actually got better mpg than what was shown.

Also, in the event I were to do the 2" level first, and not get the tires until the ones I have need replaces (year or so), will I need to do all of the adjustments again for the tires that were done for the level?

All feedback is greatly appreciated, first truck and not wanting to mess anything up.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Sarynnus

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
1. The headlights will need to be adjusted if you lift the front. I have a 4 Inch lift on mine, and I have the 502A package with the automatic adjusting projectors. I was also under the assumption that they will adjust themselves, and that's not true. You'll have to bring it to a dealership, it took them 10 minutes and 20$ to readjust mine.

2. All your cruise control, lane centering systems will still work as intended, no adjustment needed. There has been a lengthy discussion about this in previous threads, and no adjustment needed unless the truck specifically says on the dash to service the Adaptive Cruise. If it doesn't say, it ain't broken.

3. Speedo will not need to be adjusted with just a level, only if you change the diameter of the tires. Modern speedometers calculate your speed based on the diameter of the tire, multiplied by pi, gives the distance traveled per rotation. All the calculations are done automatically by the truck, and if you change your tire size, you need to tell the truck the new tire diameter (since the truck doesn't know you changed tires). This is really simple to do by using ForScan and an OBD - USB adapter for your laptop and punching in the new tire diameter. (Plenty of posts on how to do it available).

4. No gas gauge adjustment is needed. What people are talking about is manually calculating how much gas you put in your tank, and how many miles you drove gives a more accurate reading than using the trip meter to tell your MPG. The computer calculates your MPG based on how much gas is consumed by your injectors. Unfortunately, it can be inaccurate as there is no way to calculate the density of the fuel, as it can vary. Manual calculations are always more accurate.

No need to adjust a gas gauge, most gas gauges work by a little floater in the gas tank that floats on top of your fuel. The higher it is, the more gas you have, and that corresponds with your fuel needle. Nothing to do with tire size.

As per your question at the end of your post, the only adjustment that is needed for just a level, is headlight readjustment. Change in tires, needs a speedo recalibration. Those are the only changes that are needed.

OP
OP
FastHamFreddy

FastHamFreddy

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Project Manager