Sponsored

Active lane assist when towing?

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
I understand that the bluecruise is not available when towing
But is it possible to get active lane assist working with towing?

Currently the passive lane assist does not provide any aid, only vibration of the steering wheel
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
No, it cannot be done as towing disables some of the driver assist features needed for that to be possible. As someone who tows frequently and has the lane change assist feature activated on my truck, I can also tell you that I would not want this to work. Lane change assist works well enough by itself, but the initial move to change lanes is a little bit aggressive. I would not want my truck to initiate a lane change that aggressively if I have my 3 ton + boat behind me. Once the updates gets sent out and you are able to try it for yourself, you'll see what I mean.

medic455

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 SXT Supercab 4x4 bone stock
Occupation
Surgical Tech
I wouldn’t want mine on either, hauling the fifth wheel is stressful enough.

OP
OP

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
No, it cannot be done as towing disables some of the driver assist features needed for that to be possible. As someone who tows frequently and has the lane change assist feature activated on my truck, I can also tell you that I would not want this to work. Lane change assist works well enough by itself, but the initial move to change lanes is a little bit aggressive. I would not want my truck to initiate a lane change that aggressively if I have my 3 ton + boat behind me. Once the updates gets sent out and you are able to try it for yourself, you'll see what I mean.
You got BC1.4?
I got active sway controller installed on my trailer, and it works excellent in super windy days
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Tuson-RV-Brakes/335TSC-1000.html

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
@rugedraw have you seen if lane centering even still works on your 21 with latest software with a trailer connected? With my 21 and a trailer connected to the 7 pin, lane centering would still engage, but now with my 23, no go at all as soon as you plug in the 7 pin. Not sure if its a software change, year change, or something to do with trailer backup assist since that was a difference between them as well.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
@rugedraw have you seen if lane centering even still works on your 21 with latest software with a trailer connected? With my 21 and a trailer connected to the 7 pin, lane centering would still engage, but now with my 23, no go at all as soon as you plug in the 7 pin. Not sure if its a software change, year change, or something to do with trailer backup assist since that was a difference between them as well.
I have not tried it. Tbh, when I am towing, I want full control of my truck. I turn all that sh*t off.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I have not tried it. Tbh, when I am towing, I want full control of my truck. I turn all that sh*t off.
For sure when you're towing your boat, but I'm just towing my single axle trailer with my RZR on it 5 hours away, the lack of lane centering gets to me haha.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I have found active lane assist to cause control problems when there has been a strong crosswind and the system tries to correct again and again. With a trailer in tow that would be even more of a problem.

It was also a problem with my Mercedes Sprinter and I was glad to sell it and be rid of that "feature".

OP
OP

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
I have found active lane assist to cause control problems when there has been a strong crosswind and the system tries to correct again and again. With a trailer in tow that would be even more of a problem.

It was also a problem with my Mercedes Sprinter and I was glad to sell it and be rid of that "feature".
in those cases, user can turn it off when the situation is not good.
But user should have the choice to turn it on as the truck is capable

Sponsored

Chappy133

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired US Army
I do not have Blue Cruise. Towed our 25” travel trailer to Key West from PA in late January with adaptive cruise control (ACC) and did not have any issues. The only feature I dislike is when camera picks up the reduced speed limit sign the ACC quickly brakes to the new lower speed. So what I do is “X” out of ACC and coast to the new speed limit and then resume ACC. Wish that was an option like the speed tolerance preferences.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
I do not have Blue Cruise. Towed our 25” travel trailer to Key West from PA in late January with adaptive cruise control (ACC) and did not have any issues. The only feature I dislike is when camera picks up the reduced speed limit sign the ACC quickly brakes to the new lower speed. So what I do is “X” out of ACC and coast to the new speed limit and then resume ACC. Wish that was an option like the speed tolerance preferences.
I do the same thing (cancel resume) but run with Predictive Speed Assist off so the speed sign recognition doesn't mis-read a sign on the parallel access road.

Xman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ram 1500, 2024 F150 Lariat on order
I do the same thing (cancel resume) but run with Predictive Speed Assist off so the speed sign recognition doesn't mis-read a sign on the parallel access road.
During a resent 2023 F150 test drive, I turned Predictive Speed Assist OFF (based on experience with other vehicles). The salesman insisted it be left on for the test drive. As expected, 2 miles into the drive, the cruise control went from 72 to 55 when it read a sign on the assess road. Even if the speed change is correct, it is a PIA because hardly anyone slows to 55 anymore. This automatic change can cause issues when in heavy traffic when it causes you vehicle to slow down when no one else does.
Sponsored