Sponsored

According to Ford, software updates are available over the internet or through cellular phone connections

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Not up to speed on this, so here's my question.
Can i get system updates for my 2021 F150 automatically through my cell phone as long as it's paired with my truck without anything else i need to do?
Or do i absolutely need to have wifi from my home internet, which wont work for me since i park inside my shop and is out of reach (metal building)
Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Neither. Your truck has it's own cellular connection totally separate from your phone (antenna in one of the black bulbs on the roof) through AT&T which is paid for by Ford, 100% invisible to you (not an add-on option). All signs are pointing to the truck using it's own cellular connection and not a Wifi connection, even if Wifi available and connected, despite what Ford encourages us to do. Perhaps someday the truck will lean more on a Wifi connection, but so far OTAs have been delivered using the truck's own cellular connection.

If connection to AT&T towers is weak at home or inside your metal shop building then OTAs will likely be delayed until you spend some significant time in an area with good AT&T coverage.

OP
OP
Pete6114

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Neither. Your truck has it's own cellular connection totally separate from your phone (antenna in one of the black bulbs on the roof) through AT&T which is paid for by Ford, 100% invisible to you (not an add-on option). All signs are pointing to the truck using it's own cellular connection and not a Wifi connection, even if Wifi available and connected, despite what Ford encourages us to do. Perhaps someday the truck will lean more on a Wifi connection, but so far OTAs have been delivered using the truck's own cellular connection.

If connection to AT&T towers is weak at home or inside your metal shop building then OTAs will likely be delayed until you spend some significant time in an area with good AT&T coverage.
Awesome explanation. Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored