Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Hey All,
Up until recently, I thought I had a handle on how to connect the phone to the Sync 4. I'm not sure if an update hit or if I messed some settings up, but now when my phone connects to the truck via the wireless projection the phone no longer has access to the internet and therefor google maps, waze, etc. are useless.
1. How is everyone else connecting to the system? I am currently connecting to the truck via Wireless Projection, Blue Tooth and sometimes the USB fire port all at the same time. Is this normal?
2. What is the point of the wireless projection if it stops the internet from working on the phone? I know if I turn it off the phone will not connect to the truck without the cable.
3. With all the other connections, what is Bluetooth connection used for?

Thanks for the insight,
Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I'll be honest, I'm not even sure what you are talking about with the wireless projection.

I use android auto and most people either use that or Apple car play.

Do you have a phone that doesn't support either?

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I had this exact same issue pretty much when I was playing around with wireless AA. Since it utilizes wifi to connect, the phone thinks its on wifi thus ignores the cell signal. I don't use AA very much so it's been a while since I messed with it, but I remember a setting someplace to fallback to cell even when connect to wifi for certain apps, or something along those lines.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I had this exact same issue pretty much when I was playing around with wireless AA. Since it utilizes wifi to connect, the phone thinks its on wifi thus ignores the cell signal. I don't use AA very much so it's been a while since I messed with it, but I remember a setting someplace to fallback to cell even when connect to wifi for certain apps, or something along those lines.
So I have a totally different experience. When I hook up to Android Auto, yes my phone shows a wifi signal like it is connected to wifi, however, all regular phone functions work. I can search in Google, or open the Amazon app and search, literally everything works, and of course if I'm streaming music to my truck via AA, that's using cell service since I don't pay for the internet connection in the truck itself.

I have never heard of the phone ceasing to work when connected to AA because if that was the case nothing would work, your phone or AA in sync4 since everything comes from the phone.

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
My guess is that you changed a setting too force your phone to use WiFi when connected, even if there's no Internet.
Sponsored