First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
vintage motorcycle restoration
I have a new 23 STX with manual HVAC and it will randomly turn the compressor on even when the AC is off and it is just blowing outside temp air in. If I turn the entire system off with the power button, it will usually go back to normal but will do it again later in the day of the next day. If the AC button isn't pushed, how can it even do that?
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
What's the temps in-cab? The truck may be trying to cool the in-dash electronics. It does this with the AC (not directly, but the AC running drops in-dash temps where APIM / GWM and even the PCM reside) The IPMA is behind the driver kick panel as well so kinda dash, but not.

OP
OP
National Superbike

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
What's the temps in-cab? The truck may be trying to cool the in-dash electronics. It does this with the AC (not directly, but the AC running drops in-dash temps where APIM / GWM and even the PCM reside) The IPMA is behind the driver kick panel as well so kinda dash, but not.
It was 70 outside, a bit warmer inside but humid. I was wondering if there is a humidity sensor that might kick it on but it truly seems random.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, there is a humidity sensor in-cab that's also another variable. Truck is trying to control driver comfort within the variables you allow it. It can't run AC w/ blower off though so just kinda is what it is.

OP
OP
National Superbike

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
Yes, there is a humidity sensor in-cab that's also another variable. Truck is trying to control driver comfort within the variables you allow it. It can't run AC w/ blower off though so just kinda is what it is.
It's the first manual AC vehicle I've had that would turn on the compressor on it's own with the AC set to off. Pretty annoying since the air coming out of the vents is super cold when it does it and it didn't seem like it would shut itself off either. My friend is a tech at the local Ford dealer so I'll stop by and ask him if it's normal.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
National Superbike

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
It's normal behavior, there are a few threads of it happening in either hot or humid conditions. Here's one showing up below for instance.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...y-when-humid-or-raining-is-this-normal.11608/
Thanks for finding those threads... I will say, it is annoying- yesterday morning it was 64 deg and foggy and it did it and I had no need for it at all. The air gets super cold and the only solution is to turn the system off with the power button. I'll still run it by my friend at the dealer and see what he says and report back. He told me one time that he wouldn't buy any F150 newer than a '16 since all he does all day is chase down electronic and electrical problems on the newer trucks- but this may actually be normal, I guess.

OP
OP
National Superbike

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
Tonight, 71 deg and somewhat humid and with it set on vents, it had the compressor running, air coming out cold as hell and the only way to stop it was to turn the whole system off. Previously, it hadn't done it in 3 or 4 days. Pretty sure something is wrong...

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tonight, 71 deg and somewhat humid and with it set on vents, it had the compressor running, air coming out cold as hell and the only way to stop it was to turn the whole system off. Previously, it hadn't done it in 3 or 4 days. Pretty sure something is wrong...
I'm north of you and with the rain we've had this past week it's humid as hell. My dad's up in north GA in the mountains and got hammered. 40hrs w/out power and the rivers are raging.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a new 23 STX with manual HVAC and it will randomly turn the compressor on even when the AC is off and it is just blowing outside temp air in. If I turn the entire system off with the power button, it will usually go back to normal but will do it again later in the day of the next day. If the AC button isn't pushed, how can it even do that?
Hello, Curt! Are you still experiencing this concern with your AC? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
National Superbike

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
I'm north of you and with the rain we've had this past week it's humid as hell. My dad's up in north GA in the mountains and got hammered. 40hrs w/out power and the rivers are raging.
Yeah, lots of rain but normal humidity for summertime. It was 80ish and humid during the day yesterday after a lot of rain and it did not turn the compressor on- and I drove it on several errands. But last night it was 71 and 70% humidity and it would not turn off. I'm going to stop by the dealer and ask my friend about the issue before I escalate it with Ford.
A friend in Texas said it has been crazy there with rivers flooding, etc.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, lots of rain but normal humidity for summertime. It was 80ish and humid during the day yesterday after a lot of rain and it did not turn the compressor on- and I drove it on several errands. But last night it was 71 and 70% humidity and it would not turn off. I'm going to stop by the dealer and ask my friend about the issue before I escalate it with Ford.
A friend in Texas said it has been crazy there with rivers flooding, etc.
The HVAC's programming keeps changing. Yes it's normal, yes the dealer will be happy to install the latest HVAC update, yes the AC will still run in similar circumstances.
This is normal. It took ford 2 years of people bitching about batteries and the issues associated with low batteries before they finally changed the BMS logic.
Ford knows better than you even if it's causing loads of issues.

blazef150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 stx
Even though it is a manual control AC system it will attempt to keep the inside of the cabin from having any condensation calculating dew point and relative humidity. This would be especially bad with all of the electronics now days.

OP
OP
National Superbike

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
Even though it is a manual control AC system it will attempt to keep the inside of the cabin from having any condensation calculating dew point and relative humidity. This would be especially bad with all of the electronics now days.
Have you noticed this with your truck? Being a STX it also has manual AC and living in Charleston similar or worse humidity than Atlanta... I've had a LOT of cars and trucks and this is the first one that has done this with the AC.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you noticed this with your truck? Being a STX it also has manual AC and living in Charleston similar or worse humidity than Atlanta... I've had a LOT of cars and trucks and this is the first one that has done this with the AC.
About the only thing "manual" in these trucks are the rear door windows and the rear sliding window. Everything else is completely computer controlled despite what control panel they put into the truck (or if you have human operated levers like a non-power seat). The computer can't control the XLT's power seats, but it can in other trims. I upgraded my seats and the memory function works as it should moving the seat.
Sponsored