First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 2.7
Occupation
Accountant
So im still deciding over 501A Lariat VS 502A (Canada Build).

The availability of the unleashed option is a key part of this because the unleashed is not an available option in the 501A. Unleashed is :B&O Sound System Unleashed by Bang & Olufsen with HD Radio™ (Incl. 18 speakers and subwoofer).

If I go with the 501A which has B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen (8 Branded Speakers and subwoofer) would that be the exact same system that is in my 2018 Lariat that has a B&O stereo? Because mine doesn't sound like it has a subwoofer unless its broken or I don't have it tuned properly. Not too happy with it, its not even that loud when I crank up a good song, goes to volume 30 max and you can still carry on a conversation.

Also headlights ....502A has LED Projector with Dynamic bending Headlamps w/ LED Taillamps , its not clear to me from the build guide what type of headlights the 501A has are they LED?

Any advice would be appreciated

Tom
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
From what I can tell, the 2018 F-150s had a ten speaker B&O Play system with 675 total watts. This included a thin style subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat on the bed wall of the truck.

Keep in mind “B&O Play” was designed and marketed as an entry level premium sound system for Ford for the 2018/2019 model years. All the press releases and other info I’ve seen so far for Bang & Olufsen for no longer label themselves as “B&O Play” for 2021 Ford models. This could be Ford’s attempt to keep moving the F-150 up market.

The Bang & Olufsen sound system in the 2021 F-150 is listed as having eight speakers rated at 640 watts with an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer (ECS)”. This is supposed to be a slim, space saving subwoofer.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the fact that the base 2021 B&O system makes less overall power than the earlier B&O Play systems. I have seen review videos where Ford representatives have said they allowed the staff at B&O to have pretty much free reign over the 2021 F-150’s interior in an effort to get the best sound possible. Whereas other manufacturers and vehicles give audio companies set spaces/locations and parameters to abide by.

Although I haven’t heard the base B&O system for the 2021 F-150 yet, I think it’s safe to say it will be an adequate improvement from the generation thirteen F-150s.

Also, in my opinion, because B&O Play was marketed as a cheaper and/or entry level Bang & Olufsen sound system, they may have used cheaper and lesser quality speaker cones, drivers, wires, and other components that could be different than the ones used in the generation fourteen F-150.

In reference to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system, it comes with eighteen speakers producing 1,080 watts. It’s two main features are headrest and headliner mounted speakers for the front row of the truck. It also uses an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer”, likely the same one that’s used in the base B&O system.

I consider myself a bit of an audiophile. After listening to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed at one of the test drive events, I was amazed. In other cars, headliner and head rest mounted speakers were gimmicky and, in my opinion, hurt the sound of the system. This was not the case at all in the F-150. The overall sound was very clear and immersive. It’s hard to explain but the combination of the headliner and head rest speakers kind of created a shower of sound, and it was really a cool experience. Overall loudness of a system is only as good as how well the speakers maintain their clarity without getting distorted. I tried several genres of music on the B&O Unleashed system at a pretty high volume (around 20ish out of 30, if I recall), and that was plenty for me. I also didn’t want to deafen the Ford rep. who was also in the truck.

Since being able to hear it at the test drive event, the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system was a non-negotiable option for me on my order. As the clock ticks the days and weeks away until I take delivery, the thing I’m probably looking forward to most about the truck is hearing that sound system again!

Anyway, ending my tirade. Here is the media release from Harman, the parent company of Bang & Olufsen, for the new sound systems for the 2021 Ford F-150 with additional information:

https://news.harman.com/blog/blog_articles-20200629

Last edited:

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In reference to the headlights, the 501A will have what Ford calls the LED Reflector. The 502A will have the LED Projector.

LED Reflector shown on a Lariat 501A on Ford.com build and price:
Ford F-150 501A vs 502A Headlights and Stereos A0FA3765-8684-45ED-B029-D78DCF33C831

LED Projector shown on a Lariat 502A on Ford.com build and price:
Ford F-150 501A vs 502A Headlights and Stereos 4CF8A465-FA36-43FF-9407-5D3E6BB4D831

LED Reflector Headlights in person/in use:
Ford F-150 501A vs 502A Headlights and Stereos 5F736B05-0C92-476E-A6EE-3FBFFC5F44E1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote

Coyote

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 2.7
Occupation
Accountant
From what I can tell, the 2018 F-150s had a ten speaker B&O Play system with 675 total watts. This included a thin style subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat on the bed wall of the truck.

Keep in mind “B&O Play” was designed and marketed as an entry level premium sound system for Ford for the 2018/2019 model years. All the press releases and other info I’ve seen so far for Bang & Olufsen for no longer label themselves as “B&O Play” for 2021 Ford models. This could be Ford’s attempt to keep moving the F-150 up market.

The Bang & Olufsen sound system in the 2021 F-150 is listed as having eight speakers rated at 640 watts with an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer (ECS)”. This is supposed to be a slim, space saving subwoofer.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the fact that the base 2021 B&O system makes less overall power than the earlier B&O Play systems. I have seen review videos where Ford representatives have said they allowed the staff at B&O have pretty much free reign over the 2021 F-150’s interior in an effort to get the best sound possible. Whereas other manufacturers and vehicles give audio companies set spaces/locations and parameters to abide by.

Although I haven’t heard the base B&O system for the 2021 F-150 yet, I think it’s safe to say it will be an adequate improvement from the generation thirteen F-150s.

Also, in my opinion, because B&O Play was marketed as a cheaper and/or entry level Bang & Olufsen sound system, they may have used cheaper and lesser quality speaker cones, drivers, wires, and other components that could be different than the ones used in the generation fourteen F-150.

In reference to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system, it comes with eighteen speakers producing 1,080 watts. It’s two main features are headrest and headliner mounted speakers for the front row of the truck. It also uses an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer”, likely the same one that’s used in the base B&O system.

I consider myself a bit of an audiophile. After listening to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed at one of the test drive events, I was amazed. In other cars, headliner and head rest mounted speakers were gimmicky and, in my opinion, hurt the sound of the system. This was not the case at all in the F-150. The overall sound was very clear and immersive. It’s hard to explain but the combination of the headliner and head rear speakers kind of created a shower of sound, and it was really a cool experience. Overall loudness of a system is only as good as how well the speakers maintain their clarity without getting distorted. I tried several genres of music on the B&O Unleashed system at a pretty high volume (around 20ish out of 30, if I recall), and that was plenty for me. I also didn’t want to deafen the Ford rep. who was also in the truck.

Since being able to hear it at the test drive event, the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system was a non-negotiable option for me on my order. As the clock ticks the days and weeks away until I take delivery, the thing I’m probably looking forward to most about the truck is hearing that sound system again!

Anyway, ending my tirade. Here is the media release from Harman, the parent company of Bang & Olufsen, for the new sound systems for the 2021 Ford F-150 with additional information:

https://news.harman.com/blog/blog_articles-20200629
Wow thanks for the very thorough reply!!,

I am definitely leaning towards 502A I really dont want to regret not getting Unleashed, but its like $5 K more in the end and if I want the hybrid, which I do, its another $5K - so much for trying to build a cheap Lariat!

Thanks again for the time you took to craft a very thorough reply. Super helpful

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow thanks for the very thorough reply!!,

I am definitely leaning towards 502A I really dont want to regret not getting Unleashed, but its like $5 K more in the end and if I want the hybrid, which I do, its another $5K - so much for trying to build a cheap Lariat!

Thanks again for the time you took to craft a very thorough reply. Super helpful
You’re very welcome! I get it. For my build, the 502A High was a $6,920 package! The way I see it, this will be my vehicle for the better part of the next decade, so I’ll spring for it this time around.
Sponsored