Driveshaft damage - due to recall

Deepsky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Supercrew
Many are well aware of the 185K F150s recalled due to the potential of sagging insulation falling on the driveshaft and causing excess wear. Our 2021 F150 was one of those trucks, and we've been waiting on a driveshaft since April 19, 2022. There are ongoing COPUS cases initiated by both the dealer and by corporate customer service, at this time, 3 total. Our story is a very long one, and I don't want to bore folks with details, but at one point (June 15) we were told the driveshaft shipped, only later to find out (after much prodding) that the shipment was stopped for some unknown reason. We've also experienced having a COPUS case cancelled by Ford, for some unknown reason. We can't seem to get anywhere with the customer service reps nor the dealership, and it appears that information is not getting from the higher levels to our customer service reps or the dealership. So far, we've not been able to talk with anyone above the corporate customer service reps, despite our best efforts. Meanwhile, we've been stranded at a campground in Texas with no tow vehicle.

I'm guessing our experience is not uncommon, but I am wondering how long others have been waiting to get their driveshafts under this recall? For us, it's been 3.5 months, with no ETA.
Sponsored

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
Have you checked into your state's Lemon Law or a Ford buyback? I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. I would probably run out of patience after 30 days or so, myself. Good luck.

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
Yikes! My truck also needs a driveshaft due to the recall but my dealership thought they would have it in a week or two. Tomorrow will be a week. It's been at the dealership since because I'm also having their collision center fix some hail and storm damage on the vehicle.

I was told the truck is still drivable so I'm expecting a call to pick the truck up when the body work is finished. I guess I won't hold my breath on getting a new driveshaft any time soon! Sorry for your troubles.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
what strikes me as ODD, is there hundreds of places that can make the replacement driveshaft.
Ford could easily buy one or have one made at your local drive line shop

we had a similiar problem with our bus an dits a/c condensor, damon ended up goign to napa and had one purchased that met the same size. yes it took damon to get off the corporate rear, and it took a few weeks

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
what strikes me as ODD, is there hundreds of places that can make the replacement driveshaft.
Ford could easily buy one or have one made at your local drive line shop
While that may be an intuitively 'rational' alternative, methinks that, given this is a NHTSA Safety Recall, Ford is constrained to using parts they have fully vetted as meeting OE specifications even on a 'temporary' or 'interim' basis.

That's impractical to demonstrate for individually fabricated driveshafts even though they admittedly may be perfectly serviceable.

Just sayin', and yeah, the delay on OE replacements is a major bummer for sure.

_________

Though the recall cites ~185,000 potentially affected vehicles, I do wonder how many have actually suffered the damage that triggers the need for driveshaft replacement (?).

Last edited:

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Ford could imo
set a contract easy enough to get another vendor to help supplement the need for new drive shafts.
legal nerds may not like that. but its an easy fix to get replacements,
we are not launching ships to the moon.
maybe if QC was more involved? 350s had axle wall thickness to thin and broke .
somebody failed at a high level

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Buybacks are a losing proposition these days with the “I word” increasing the value of new trucks.

I would just get a new steel driveshaft made up and wait for the replacement rather than be stranded somewhere.

Then when the new one arrives, sell the steel shaft to someone who off-roads. Or if you don’t notice any appreciable MPG difference, hand off the old scored alloy shaft and sell the replacement to someone OCD enough to want Ford’s hokey Coke can driveshaft.

Good luck!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Just a note that any remedy other than Ford replacing the driveshaft will not 'clear the recall' on your VIN. Maybe of no concern .... until resale time (a private-party sale can legally occur with an open recall IF you find a willing buyer).

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford doesn’t replace the driveshaft, a dealership does and the varying experiences here should be enough to think that there’s at least one dealership within an hour’s drive that will happily take a recalled part that the owner removed themselves and hand them the replacement without asking questions.

From my own experience, this is usually best done at the end of the work day.

This is assuming though that OP both gets a steel driveshaft made and decided to keep it on their truck.

OP
OP

Deepsky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Supercrew
We have been considering a custom drive shaft. In the not-too-distant future, we'll have to leave the campground we're at as we'll exceed our maximum stay. We do have the truck in our possession, but we are forbidden to tow and were told to drive only locally. But again, if we run out of time at our campground, we'll have to pull out our camper with the only vehicle we own, which is our F150.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
@Deepsky you're in a particularly tough position, I sincerely wish you the best in finding a timely solution, temporary or otherwise.

charmnh

First Name
Harmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 King Ranch, 2018 F150 King Ranch , both 4x4
Occupation
Happily retired
Many are well aware of the 185K F150s recalled due to the potential of sagging insulation falling on the driveshaft and causing excess wear. Our 2021 F150 was one of those trucks, and we've been waiting on a driveshaft since April 19, 2022. There are ongoing COPUS cases initiated by both the dealer and by corporate customer service, at this time, 3 total. Our story is a very long one, and I don't want to bore folks with details, but at one point (June 15) we were told the driveshaft shipped, only later to find out (after much prodding) that the shipment was stopped for some unknown reason. We've also experienced having a COPUS case cancelled by Ford, for some unknown reason. We can't seem to get anywhere with the customer service reps nor the dealership, and it appears that information is not getting from the higher levels to our customer service reps or the dealership. So far, we've not been able to talk with anyone above the corporate customer service reps, despite our best efforts. Meanwhile, we've been stranded at a campground in Texas with no tow vehicle.

I'm guessing our experience is not uncommon, but I am wondering how long others have been waiting to get their driveshafts under this recall? For us, it's been 3.5 months, with no ETA.
Waited 4 months and one week, but recall is complete now. Fortunately, I had a good dealer who furnished me with a loaner.
Sponsored