First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
First thing first, I built this truck ('21 3.5eb xlt SuperCrew w/ a mild lift -- see my other posts) to wheel, so I know trail damage is just a matter of time. But still, when I felt the vibration in the steering wheel when I got back on the highway, I was confused — I hadn't taken what I thought to be a big hit. I actually assumed it was a wheel out of balance.

I crawled under after taking it in to have the wheels rebalanced and found a 7" scratch w/ about a 1/8" indent in the center of the driveshaft (photos to come). My first take away was why the fuck is the drive shaft aluminum??!! My second was why the fuck is it so soft?? Couldn't Ford have at least used 6061 or something that can take a little abuse??

Where I'm at now: I've been advised to stop driving it, which I have. I've put in an order for a replacement -- currently waiting on an ETA.

My question: Is the tremor driveshaft any more stout? How about the Raptor? And would the Raptor fit? Same engine, different transmission. Is there an aftermarket company making steel or anything better than stock?? It'll only be a matter of time until I do this again.
Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
First thing first, I built this truck ('21 3.5eb xlt SuperCrew w/ a mild lift -- see my other posts) to wheel, so I know trail damage is just a matter of time. But still, when I felt the vibration in the steering wheel when I got back on the highway, I was confused — I hadn't taken what I thought to be a big hit. I actually assumed it was a wheel out of balance.

I crawled under after taking it in to have the wheels rebalanced and found a 7" scratch w/ about a 1/8" indent in the center of the driveshaft (photos to come). My first take away was why the fuck is the drive shaft aluminum??!! My second was why the fuck is it so soft?? Couldn't Ford have at least used 6061 or something that can take a little abuse??

Where I'm at now: I've been advised to stop driving it, which I have. I've put in an order for a replacement -- currently waiting on an ETA.

My question: Is the tremor driveshaft any more stout? How about the Raptor? And would the Raptor fit? Same engine, different transmission. Is there an aftermarket company making steel or anything better than stock?? It'll only be a matter of time until I do this again.
I dont know of any truck that uses a steel shaft these days. As far as aluminum? Not sure on types of alloys, but for serious off-road, upgraded drive shaft is alwaya part of my "uprade list"

Stock shafts are built for MPG, regardless of trim level or brand.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
I dont know of any truck that uses a steel shaft these days. As far as aluminum? Not sure on types of alloys, but for serious off-road, upgraded drive shaft is alwaya part of my "uprade list"

Stock shafts are built for MPG, regardless of trim level or brand.
Good to know on the "stock drive shaft" bit.

Any aftermarket suggestions?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
A good driveshaft place can fab up a steel drive shaft no problem and balance it better than factory.

Most big cities have at least one. It’s old school tech and some of these shops have been established for decades. Sometimes they will also do differential work or steering components. So the names will be XYZ Driveshaft and Axle or XYZ Rack and Pinion and Driveshaft.

The aluminum alloy prop shafts are for the CAFE standards, not durability.

Call around, you might get lucky and there’s a place that already has all the parts needed in stock and can fit your truck into their schedule. Once I drove to a place where they removed, repaired, balanced and installed a drive shaft for an old Mercedes while I sat in the car eating lunch and listening to the radio.

Just be super careful when driving around with the damaged one, usually the failure is limited to the shaft itself and it will just drag on the ground but sometimes a wrecked spinning shaft can do significant damage in the blink of an eye. I might slowly drive to get it repaired in Eco mode while keeping the RPMs low but I would recommend you tow the truck to get it repaired. Seriously though, if you do drive it there, pretend there’s a block of wood under your gas pedal.

Good luck!

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE

Might be worth a call.
These guys are where the Ford dealers in central WI and southern MN goto for driveshaft repair/ vibration on F150’s. They been in buisness 50 years Or more.

P T Welding & Driveshaft Repair.
150 Industrial Rd
La cresent MN 55947
ph 507 895-4779

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Thanks for all the info guys. I found an off-road specific shop that could sell me one w/ shipping for $900 – these guys were the most promising, but the price wasn't quite right for me at the moment. Still, it's a great option if anyone is looking for a quality upgrade (if I wasn't looking to spend money on a bumper and rock sliders, I would have hopped right on it).

https://www.evilmanufacturing.com/d...aptor-evil-offroad-aluminum-drive-shaft-2rtph

Also, a handful of drive shaft places in Denver said they could help me out. Just needed to provide specs, which I can't get right now, as I had to leave town and leave the truck at home.

But Glenwood Springs Ford made it happen nonetheless and got me a replacement on it's way (so they say – to be delivered early next week). They priced it for me: $350. Hopefully labor won't be astronomical.

Stoked for all the support here!
Sponsored