Sponsored

2023 Center console shifter weirdness

Fortech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4
Hey, I have a 2023 Sport with the front buckets and Center console, including the lie flat shifter.

From time to time, the shifter seems to be out of calibration, for example:

- Press button to shift from Park into D, I feel the shifter move through 3 “notches” (R, N, D) and attempt to drive. Vehicle doesn’t move and I look down and truck in in N.

- Driving in reverse and attempt to shift back into D. I feel the shifter move through 2 notches (N, D) and again, truck in N with N illuminated.

I’ve been driving a console shift of one make or another since 2002 however this new 2023 is definitely doing some odd things. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Maybe a cable that needs some adjustment?

It’s weird but it seems that from time to time the shifter has an extra notch or click which is throwing me off. I’m not the type to look down each time I move the shifter, it’s been second nature for years but this Ford is throwing me off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Use the fold down feature a few times. I thought it was crazy until I read it on the forum. Using the fold feature seems to get it back into whatever notch it comes out of then it feels normal and not loose.

NotMyName

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco First Edition, 2022 F150 Platinum
I’ll give it a try!
I have a 22 platy with exact same issue including going from D to P (feeling the clicks) and ending up between R and P. I’ll give the fold feature a try. Mine doesn’t do it all the time.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This console shifter mechanism taught me to be gentle, slow, and deliberate with selecting.

I honestly felt like it wouldn't hold up and was destined to fall apart or break in short time. But now, ~2.5 years later, I don't even think about it anymore. But it DID require ME to change my behavior.

Having said all that, it wouldn't surprise me if someone got a damaged one. They just don't feel very robust internally.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
When I bought truck it felt loose and I thought I was going to break it. Laid down couple times and it feels like I'm shifting now. I did read that the auto moving to park feature can also mess up the feel of shifter. I think Ford just put way too many parts into overcomplicating it. Doesn't help the feeling of it when it's not physically connected to anything.

TarnishedCopper

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Occupation
Retired/Auctioneer
I took my '22 in to the dealership. They said they re-programmed it, and it has worked perfectly ever since. It was really aggravating like there was an added position in the shifter before and difficult to tell what gear you were really in. I wish it had the good old shift on the comumn personally.

Deeber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 PowerBoost
Occupation
Data Architect
This console shifter mechanism taught me to be gentle, slow, and deliberate with selecting.

I honestly felt like it wouldn't hold up and was destined to fall apart or break in short time. But now, ~2.5 years later, I don't even think about it anymore. But it DID require ME to change my behavior.

Having said all that, it wouldn't surprise me if someone got a damaged one. They just don't feel very robust internally.
A few months ago, my shifter started acting weird.
It would only move to neutral or it wouldn’t come out of drive.
We went to Home Depot and when we tried to shift, it wouldn’t move out of park. We sat there for 15 minutes, trying various things, and it finally went in to drive.
When we got home I tried to cycle it to park, reverse, drive and park. When it got to drive it never moved again; no matter what I did!
I ended up having to shut it off and call Ford for a tow.
The culprit was the shifter and it had to be replaced. They told me at the shop that this “wasn’t an un-common occurrence”.

OP
OP

Fortech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4
Hmmm, thanks for the replies everyone. I completed a search before making the post and didn’t come up with anything so I wasn’t optimistic that I was going to get any valuable replies, seems that I was wrong!

I haven’t had my first oil change yet so this is something I will def bring up at a future visit if things don’t get better
Sponsored