2021 Lariat 502A - Automatic headlights not coming on

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 502A
Hey all - today I got in the truck and I saw something blink by really quick on the dash about the automatic headlights. I now see that the auto mode isn’t working - I can cycle through the other switch modes and the lights come on fine, but in Auto mode they don’t come on - no running lights, etc. The dash shows the switch mode changing, I checked with FORscan that there are no active DTCs.

I also noticed that I can’t use the FordPass app to turn on the zone lights now - it worked the other day, but now when I try, it tells me to start the truck to use zone lighting.

Not quite sure what this could be. It was fine until just today.
Sponsored

C-17 Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150; 2017 Expedition EL; 2005 F-150
Have you recently received an OTA update? After my truck received 6.2.0, I noticed that my auto high beams weren't working. I had to go back into the settings and re-enable them. Worked fine after that.

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is different than the auto high beams, though I will check that later tonight - this is the rotary switch on the left hand side of the dash, when you set it to Auto there are no running lights or anything

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Went back out after dark tonight and I must be crazy, the christmas tree all lit up when I touched the handle, went for a drive, auto lamps were fine as were the auto high beams and all the zone lighting.

I don’t know what the deal is. I had it on the battery tender for a few hours, maybe it’s just getting low. It reads 12.8v when unplugged and idle, but…

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I'm not sure where the switch is on 2021. It was on dash on my 2011 and tossing a hat or something up there would cover light sensor.

Most likely low battery if you are not seeing normal things like lights working or you get battery messages on screen. "System off to save battery" or similar will show on sync screen when battery is low.

Highly recommend an H8 size battery for non-Powerboost and H7 size for Powerboost. Those are largest you can fit. Plenty of threads about it on here. Many 21 Lariat had undersized batteries from factory with an H6 when high trim should have at least an H7. I just recently put a new H8 into my truck with some random battery issues in the past month.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure where the switch is on 2021. It was on dash on my 2011 and tossing a hat or something up there would cover light sensor.

Most likely low battery if you are not seeing normal things like lights working or you get battery messages on screen. "System off to save battery" or similar will show on sync screen when battery is low.

Highly recommend an H8 size battery for non-Powerboost and H7 size for Powerboost. Those are largest you can fit. Plenty of threads about it on here. Many 21 Lariat had undersized batteries from factory with an H6 when high trim should have at least an H7. I just recently put a new H8 into my truck with some random battery issues in the past month.
Thanks for the tip! The truck has the factory battery in it but I frequently notice symptoms of it seeming too low. Hence why I always have a tender standing by, actually.

Is there anything that needs to be done when upsizing the battery configuration-wise or is it just a direct replacement with no software changes?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Thanks for the tip! The truck has the factory battery in it but I frequently notice symptoms of it seeming too low. Hence why I always have a tender standing by, actually.

Is there anything that needs to be done when upsizing the battery configuration-wise or is it just a direct replacement with no software changes?
No software changes.
Do BMS reset and that will reset the battery days in service and state of charge math the truck uses for charging.

Battery should have insulation on it for the best lifespan. You can order the larger battery insulation from Ford.

If your battery is low often do you have a short commute?
I drive 15 miles one way to work and never have issues with battery until it got cold outside then the old battery couldn't handle low temperatures well.

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No software changes.
Do BMS reset and that will reset the battery days in service and state of charge math the truck uses for charging.

Battery should have insulation on it for the best lifespan. You can order the larger battery insulation from Ford.

If your battery is low often do you have a short commute?
I drive 15 miles one way to work and never have issues with battery until it got cold outside then the old battery couldn't handle low temperatures well.
Awesome, good to know. I just replaced the battery mat in the original size as it had deteriorated, figures.

I have basically no commute, the truck sits way more than it moves. So I expect a certain amount of these problems, though I do wish there was less idle/parasitic drain than there seems to be.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Well, no driving will kill off battery life for sure. You might just need to keep it plugged in more often and not need a new battery.

Lot of debate on here but Motorcraft batteries are not favored. Many think 21 trucks in particular had bad batch that have reputation for not holding charge well.

Hard to say if it is your commute or the battery at fault in your case. Auto stores can test batteries for free if you take it in charged up. Need a ride to do that though.

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, no driving will kill off battery life for sure. You might just need to keep it plugged in more often and not need a new battery.

Lot of debate on here but Motorcraft batteries are not favored. Many think 21 trucks in particular had bad batch that have reputation for not holding charge well.

Hard to say if it is your commute or the battery at fault in your case. Auto stores can test batteries for free if you take it in charged up. Need a ride to do that though.
Thanks mate, appreciate the insights. I figured as much and will just try and keep it either plugged in or moving more often. Too many computers!

Sponsored

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For what it’s worth I went out and checked and I do have a factory Motorcraft H6 battery with the tray that has plenty of room for an upgrade, so if this keeps getting worse I will look in to an H8 upgrade (I have the 3.5 ecoboost)

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, I figured it out. I think what I am seeing is not a malfunction, but rather some new behavior that was introduced in a recent update. The lights only come on when the vehicle is in drive, not in park. And I swear there used to be an indicator at all times in the lower left corner of the dash console, but that is only present when the headlights are actually on now. The running lights do not cause that indicator to light up. And, the running lights only illuminate when the vehicle is in drive. I tested this in traffic behind a shiny black car earlier, and was very surprised.

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
You're not crazy. I noticed after the recent updates that there's no indicator unless the automatic headlights are actually on.
Edit: the new behavior actually had me worried for a little while

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're not crazy. I noticed after the recent updates that there's no indicator unless the automatic headlights are actually on.
Edit: the new behavior actually had me worried for a little while
lol, glad to hear I’m not the only one! I came to the same conclusion in my reply just above yours, but I’m glad to hear it’s not some special software lottery I won.

OP
OP

jborbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sh*t like this does make me long for real software release notes on the updates, rather than just “improved your experience” 😡
Sponsored