2 different cooling circuits

tbeneteau

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
21 PB Limited purchased used a couple months ago with ~28k miles. Just noticed that there is different color coolant in the 2 coolant bottles under the hood! Manual says both should be Yellow. The Low temp (smaller one) is yellow, and the Hi Temp cooling circuit (larger one) has orange. Anyone have any input regarding this? I DOUBT its a huge deal, but I am kinda picky on details...
Ford F-150 2 different cooling circuits IMG_0663
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Some where along the way the one was drained and refilled......did you get service or maintenance history
Color is not a key to right coolant
The different one might not be fords. But still meets speci would be concerned I knew what was done to colling system

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I think there’s a thread regarding coolant discoloration. The large reservoir is for the engine and transmission while the smaller one is for the HVB and DC/DC converter systems.
They both start off with the same color coolant and slowly the larger reservoir fluid starts looking burnt lol.

Could be it was replaced in your case, but there are discussions here amongst original owners.

OP
OP
tbeneteau

tbeneteau

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea I can't believe it came from the factory like that? And why would someone drain and refill coolant within 28000 miles? The discoloration issues some are seeing looks more brownish color. Mine looks like new orange. Ah the joys of buying a used vehicle! Probably just gonna drain and refill with Motorcraft yellow.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
All the 21 PBs I know (3) have 30-50K miles, original coolant... and coloration just like yours.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tbeneteau

tbeneteau

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks Jim; any rhyme or reason for the 2 different coolant types? Was Ford just trying to use up the old (orange) stuff!? Shortage of the new (yellow) stuff? Weird.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
It is the same coolant.... same color when brand new. The heat cycles for the engine and transmission have caused the color shift.

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A Powerboost FX4 Sport
2021 and 2022 models have leaky heat exchanger problems. Perhaps your heat exchanger was replaced and they refilled It with the newer type of coolant that s yellow.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
2021 and 2022 models have leaky heat exchanger problems. Perhaps your heat exchanger was replaced and they refilled It with the newer type of coolant that s yellow.
They both start out yellow but experience different heating cycles as noted above.
Sponsored