Sponsored

12v battery issues seem to be widespread with EV vehicles experiencing problems similar to those on the Ford PB

rockfish

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
IT Security
I understand the need for a 12v battery since so many components require 12v but why can't they just somehow provide 12v from the hybrid battery via a transformer or something? Seems like the easy way out to just put in a legacy 12v battery.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I understand the need for a 12v battery since so many components require 12v but why can't they just somehow provide 12v from the hybrid battery via a transformer or something? Seems like the easy way out to just put in a legacy 12v battery.
That is what is done, but similar to regular cars, most modules shut down after the car turns off, and only critical systems are kept online by the 12V battery. That includes the DC-DC transformer system. They need the battery to power up all the systems to allow the hybrid battery to take over. Unlike the Powerboost though, most EVs have a 12V battery you'd find in a lawnmower, so having it die, especially in extreme temps is more likely.

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
Captured this battery voltage vs time graph on my truck with a blue tooth battery monitor. On a jr. battery tender in the morning… activity from 11am to about 2pm I had it out doing errands. Back home parked and put back on the jr. tender. Not sure what is going on between 6 and 9pm… any ideas?
Ford F-150 12v battery issues seem to be widespread with EV vehicles experiencing problems similar to those on the Ford PB IMG_7590

Serjape

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Powerboost 3.5L Full Hybrid
Occupation
Senior Desktop Engineer
Updates?
Sponsored