First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 2001 F 150 XLT
Occupation
retired
I went out Saturday and truck would not turn over and dash and screen was completely black-Pushed button to start and nothing. I hooked up battery booster thinking maybe I inadvertently left something on to drain completely. Finally got started after about 15 min. While traveling to my destination the radio would function properly and dash was giving wrong info. Got to destination and let run about 15 min-started ok-got ready to leave after 2 hrs and dead-had to jump and made lots of noise under hood like relays, etc clicking and headlights stated flashing-finally started and got home-Next morning went out to start and no go. I disconnected battery and charged battery-Hooked cable back up and everything was normal-dash and radio. Drove today and no problems. Was disconnecting battery reset computers and if I take it to dealer would it show any codes to determine what happened? Thanks Tom
Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Others have had dead cells in their batteries so the the dealers replace the battery to solve the problem. You didn't mention how long you have owned your truck but if it's been for some time, the phantom drain wouldn't seem the issue or you should have seen the problem before. Some folks are also installing battery tenders that they plug in each night to make sure the truck starts the next day.

OP
OP

ttoptom1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Others have had dead cells in their batteries so the the dealers replace the battery to solve the problem. You didn't mention how long you have owned your truck but if it's been for some time, the phantom drain wouldn't seem the issue or you should have seen the problem before. Some folks are also installing battery tenders that they plug in each night to make sure the truck starts the next day.

OP
OP

ttoptom1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I bought truck in March of 2021 and haven't had any problems at all. Hope it's a freak thing. I tested battery voltage and it's hanging around 12.4-12.7 volts which seems low to me. I think should be 13 or so. Gonna talk to dealer next few days about this. Thanks for the replies.

[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
I bought truck in March of 2021 and haven't had any problems at all. Hope it's a freak thing. I tested battery voltage and it's hanging around 12.4-12.7 volts which seems low to me. I think should be 13 or so. Gonna talk to dealer next few days about this. Thanks for the replies.
[/QUOTE]
Had to have my battery replaced, truck kept going to sleep after only sitting 1 day. The dealer performed some update and replaced the battery.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I went out Saturday and truck would not turn over and dash and screen was completely black-Pushed button to start and nothing. I hooked up battery booster thinking maybe I inadvertently left something on to drain completely. Finally got started after about 15 min. While traveling to my destination the radio would function properly and dash was giving wrong info. Got to destination and let run about 15 min-started ok-got ready to leave after 2 hrs and dead-had to jump and made lots of noise under hood like relays, etc clicking and headlights stated flashing-finally started and got home-Next morning went out to start and no go. I disconnected battery and charged battery-Hooked cable back up and everything was normal-dash and radio. Drove today and no problems. Was disconnecting battery reset computers and if I take it to dealer would it show any codes to determine what happened? Thanks Tom
Hi there! Send a private message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

OP
OP

ttoptom1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Hi there! Send a private message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Reply- Went to dealer this AM and they checked battery and charging system and all was good. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens next few days. I'm hoping disconnecting and reconnecting battery reset whatever was going on. Thanks

OP
OP

ttoptom1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Went to dealer this AM and they checked battery and charging system and all was good. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens next few days. I'm hoping disconnecting and reconnecting battery reset whatever was going on. Thanks

Sponsored

Mississip150

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Executive VP of NA Ops
My '21 did something very similar in Oct. of '21. I did the same steps as you, and its been fine until last Wed. I drove the truck at lunch, it was perfectly normal. I went out to go home around 4:30 and all it would do is "click". The dash lit up, all lights worked, it just would not turn over. Put a jump pack on it, still all it would do is "click". One issue I have had previously, but not recently, is when using my bluetooth, is I received a call and hit the answer put on the screen, the instrument cluster would go black, then cycle back on. Starting to really regret all the electronics in the truck. It's a super nice truck, but the issues make me miss when vehicles weren't soo complicated. Also, just an FYI, if you ever have to use the Roadside assistance, the experience SUCKS! Customer service doesn't exist anymore. This happened last Wed. and they still haven't even looked at my truck yet.

OP
OP

ttoptom1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
My '21 did something very similar in Oct. of '21. I did the same steps as you, and its been fine until last Wed. I drove the truck at lunch, it was perfectly normal. I went out to go home around 4:30 and all it would do is "click". The dash lit up, all lights worked, it just would not turn over. Put a jump pack on it, still all it would do is "click". One issue I have had previously, but not recently, is when using my bluetooth, is I received a call and hit the answer put on the screen, the instrument cluster would go black, then cycle back on. Starting to really regret all the electronics in the truck. It's a super nice truck, but the issues make me miss when vehicles weren't soo complicated. Also, just an FYI, if you ever have to use the Roadside assistance, the experience SUCKS! Customer service doesn't exist anymore. This happened last Wed. and they still haven't even looked at my truck yet.
Still haven't had problem again but carrying wrench and boost box in truck to disconnect batt if happens again. Also removed phone charger and key fob from inside. I had been leaving fob in truck and using 9-7 to lock. May try putting it back in to see what happens.
Sponsored