• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who is installing solar as part of their Lightning purchase?

Do you plan to get solar when you get your Lightning?

• Total voters

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm just about to start looking into getting solar installed this year. It would be happening whether I got the Lightning or not but obviously it's an opportunity to see whether I can integrate into the solar system. Sunrun has horrible reviews so I probably won't use them. It will be interesting to see whether I can get another company to install the system.

Anyone out there been looking? How is the lead time/cost right now?
Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
I already have panels and powerwalls. This is part of the reason why I opted for the SR. But I will definitely be investigating what it would take to integrate Ford’s intelligent backup power with the Tesla system, if possible.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Solar is not really viable on my property due to trees and northern exposure. Maybe someday, but I do like trees, so maybe not. :)

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Solar is not really viable on my property due to trees and northern exposure. Maybe someday, but I do like trees, so maybe not. :)
I had two quotes, unfortunately neither of them made much economic sense. Based on my location and tree coverage, I was told solar would cover approximately 40% of my electricity needs. The math said I would break even in 17 years on the install costs. That means I need to be sure I will never be moving for solar to make any sense.

Just like electric cars should theoretically get cheaper once there are more suppliers and competition (unfortunately China...), I am hopeful solar moves in the same direction. I want to do more to reduce my carbon footprint, I just don't have the means to do it when it isn't at all economical.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I had two quotes, unfortunately neither of them made much economic sense. Based on my location and tree coverage, I was told solar would cover approximately 40% of my electricity needs. The math said I would break even in 17 years on the install costs. That means I need to be sure I will never be moving for solar to make any sense.

Just like electric cars should theoretically get cheaper once there are more suppliers and competition (unfortunately China...), I am hopeful solar moves in the same direction. I want to do more to reduce my carbon footprint, I just don't have the means to do it when it isn't at all economical.

A solar installation will also add to the value of the home so the pure payback analysis isn't always the best indicator. Some research has shown an average of 4% increase in sale price over comparable homes. For me, that would pay for the entire system.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Interesting that almost 50% already have solar.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

I'm afraid the majority of potential hardware cost reductions have already been achieved. The majority of a true system installation cost is not in the hardware. Panel tariffs, taxes, licensing, HOA's, permits, inspectors, insurance...

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport

Same, closer to 20yrs in my case tho. TN does not have net metering so battery packs were added to the quote and, of course, increased the price. Even with the added value to the property our uncertainty about being here for the long haul said it didn't make sense for us at this time.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
A solar installation will also add to the value of the home so the pure payback analysis isn't always the best indicator. Some research has shown an average of 4% increase in sale price over comparable homes. For me, that would pay for the entire system.
Even if I received a 4% boost to my sale cost, then I'd need to be here 10+ years to break even based on my installation quotes. The northeast is going to need some major incentives to get people to adopt solar in mass numbers.

When I hear about people generating excess power from their needs I am very jealous. People in the Midwest and west have it made when it comes to solar, I would've had it years ago if I lived in those regions.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Even if I received a 4% boost to my sale cost, then I'd need to be here 10+ years to break even based on my installation quotes. The northeast is going to need some major incentives to get people to adopt solar in mass numbers.

When I hear about people generating excess power from their needs I am very jealous. People in the Midwest and west have it made when it comes to solar, I would've had it years ago if I lived in those regions.
i have epic power bills so it should be justifiable for me but i’m going to find out soon.

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Im an energy engineer in Michigan and I just did the whole analysis. I pay $0.19/kWh and the cheapest installer I could find had a 17 year payback for a system sized to make as much energy as I use in a year. Grid-tied panels only, NO storage. So I found a place to make me a kit and give me stamped drawings to file for my own permits and interconnect agreement with the utility which brought it down to about 12 years payback INCLUDING an electric service upgrade and a new smart panel system and an electrician to install that portion of it (and financing costs). I'll be screwing the panels to the roof and running wires for that myself though.

The problem in Michigan is the solar resource. We are second only to Seattle in cloud cover here. It's awful. But I'm glad I found a way to make it work.

After my solar production, I will pay about $350/year in electric costs (connection fees, etc). Storage would not pay itself back before it was end of life, so it was a no-go for me. Somewhere like California probably could make a great deal out of it though.

I upsized my electric panel so I could double the solar backfeed in the future. I'm limited by the utility to producing only as much as I use in a year, but when I get my lightning I figure I will double my electric consumption. Once I have a year of that under my belt, I will have a new baseline and I can expand my system to cover my driving energy too. That's the plan for now anyway. Even if I don't expand later, I have capacity for the EV now, electrification of appliances or additions to the house, and I get the federal tax credit on the whole shebang.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Living in the Pacific Northwest we would have a negative return on investment if we added solar to our house. So, until the efficiency goes up a lot more, we will have to just sit on the sidelines. Sad really, as we would like to have it on our house.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
We’re @ $0.25/kWh here so it helps justify the payback.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Im an energy engineer in Michigan and I just did the whole analysis. I pay $0.19/kWh and the cheapest installer I could find had a 17 year payback for a system sized to make as much energy as I use in a year. Grid-tied panels only, NO storage. So I found a place to make me a kit and give me stamped drawings to file for my own permits and interconnect agreement with the utility which brought it down to about 12 years payback INCLUDING an electric service upgrade and a new smart panel system and an electrician to install that portion of it (and financing costs). I'll be screwing the panels to the roof and running wires for that myself though.

The problem in Michigan is the solar resource. We are second only to Seattle in cloud cover here. It's awful. But I'm glad I found a way to make it work.

After my solar production, I will pay about $350/year in electric costs (connection fees, etc). Storage would not pay itself back before it was end of life, so it was a no-go for me. Somewhere like California probably could make a great deal out of it though.

I upsized my electric panel so I could double the solar backfeed in the future. I'm limited by the utility to producing only as much as I use in a year, but when I get my lightning I figure I will double my electric consumption. Once I have a year of that under my belt, I will have a new baseline and I can expand my system to cover my driving energy too. That's the plan for now anyway. Even if I don't expand later, I have capacity for the EV now, electrification of appliances or additions to the house, and I get the federal tax credit on the whole shebang.
Did you do any sensitivity analysis on energy costs over time?
Sponsored