First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Systems Engineering Management
So, I'm a newbie; forgive me for may what seem like a dumb question, but I walked my wife out this morning as she was leaving for work. When she turned her headlights on, they shone through my grill and I noticed there were some flaps or shutters, something like blinds you can open and close in a window. I noticed these were closed, and I never noticed them before, but remember seeing the radiator behind the grill before. What are these flaps and why are they closed?
Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Called active grill shutters. Many newer vehicles have them. They open and close as needed for cooling and fuel efficiency etc.

OP
OP
4dRunningMan

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
I presume then they are 100% automatic?

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yes. There's no way (switch or button) for a driver to activate them. I guess that it's possible that there's a setting in Forscan somewhere for you to monkey with it, but I would strongly recommend against it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
4dRunningMan

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
And I just found out this morning that my headlights turn with the steering wheel! How cool is that?!?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
And I just found out this morning that my headlights turn with the steering wheel! How cool is that?!?
Those LED projectors are LOADED with technology that isn't even enabled from the factory.

First, they are putting out better light than any headlight Ford has ever equipped their trucks with.
Second, they auto-level on startup.
Third, as you discovered, they can adjust with the steering. Something really cool at low speed navigation through the woods at night. (something I experience nightly)
And finally, they have the "Anti-glare" technology that has been legal in Europe for many years, but disabled in America. The gurus over in the Forscan camp discovered the feature and the necessary settings to unlock GlareFree. For those who drive at night on very dark rural roads, it's fascinating to have the technology do its thing.

In essence, you no longer have simply High Beem/Low Beam, but rather a full range of lighting from what low beam and high beam offers. And the light can be shaped! Literally around objects. It's crazy the first time you witness it in perfect conditions.

I'm now more than 2 years into driving this computer on wheels. And perhaps I'm not as easily jaded as the younger generations might be. (no offense intended to anyone) But every single time I fetch this truck out of the barn, I am enamored with sitting in the cockpit and relishing in all that is included as a passenger.

I have other toys. Porsche, Miata, EV, motorcycles. But the 2022 KingRanch Powerboost is just beyond what I imagined I would live long enough to see. Quirky at moments, I admit, but such an amazing tool for the ranch, if you know what I mean. :)

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
So, I'm a newbie; forgive me for may what seem like a dumb question, but I walked my wife out this morning as she was leaving for work. When she turned her headlights on, they shone through my grill and I noticed there were some flaps or shutters, something like blinds you can open and close in a window. I noticed these were closed, and I never noticed them before, but remember seeing the radiator behind the grill before. What are these flaps and why are they closed?
For fuel economy when they're closed, extra cooling when they're open, and faster warm up in the morning they will stay closed. As a bonus when they're closed for fuel efficiency they also keep large bugs from denting your fins on your radiator. In the past I've always put window screen in mind to keep them from being damaged, but this is pretty helpful and seems to be working on mine so far. My only apprehension is when it's iced over are they deactivated, I don't want them to try and close or open if they're frozen. I guess time will tell. Welcome to the new truck club.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You will get a DTC if the radiator or Intercooler louvers experience any range of movement deviation from command.
Although I don't think the DTC will populate the instrument cluster. Perhaps FordPass, depending on which DTC.

I removed the Intercooler louvers and it sets a DTC every startup. But it's obviously a "soft" DTC and requires an OBD harvest of some kind to see it.

Spiffers

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat
Called active grill shutters. Many newer vehicles have them. They open and close as needed for cooling and fuel efficiency etc.
I just learned about those today too. Saw a youtube short and saw the shutters.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
You will get a DTC if the radiator or Intercooler louvers experience any range of movement deviation from command.
Although I don't think the DTC will populate the instrument cluster. Perhaps FordPass, depending on which DTC.

I removed the Intercooler louvers and it sets a DTC every startup. But it's obviously a "soft" DTC and requires an OBD harvest of some kind to see it.
I left mine in place, despite having an upgraded Livernois intercooler, on the theory that giving the truck the ability to use the turbo to warm the charge air under cold conditions isn't a bad thing. My big worry between the intercooler and the radiator louvers is that if one sticks closed, I'm stuck until I can remove the dead louvers (presuming that above a certain charge air temp, the truck will limp).
Do you know if removing the radiator louvers also throws a soft DTC?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know, but if I had to assume, I would believe that Ford used similar or identical approaches for both?

Be aware that it's highly likely your truck, as well as others, is throwing soft codes far more often than you might believe. They are very soft and come/go all the time.
Sponsored