WDH advice

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
I have a sherline tongue weigh scale myself, and every time I have encountered sway, it hasn't had much to do with the tongue weight. I'll admit, from a overall length perspective with my truck, if I have any sway issues, it has more to do with trailer length than much else. But properly setup hitches eliminate a lot of that. In the past it was more due to conditions, than length as I had a smaller rig. But the wife's vertigo has a habit of kicking in and she feels every single thing that is happening back there, so to keep my own sanity, I put a friction plate on each side.

The new one, with our new truck, and now set up correctly, I hardly hear a peep out of her.
Sponsored

SmokedHybridFX4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SQ Lariat PB FX4, 2022 VW Tiguan R-Line
Occupation
Cloud Customer Engineer
Having recently switched from a chain-style hitch to a Husky Centerline hitch, I like the Centerline way better. Handles wind and sway better, and eliminated any 'porpoising' I had on the one highway near me with bad ripple sections. I have a similar truck (2022 Powerboost Lariat, 157" wheelbase, non-max tow) and pull a Cougar 30BHS, so a bigger and heavier trailer. I've also added LT tires and Timbrens.

The Blue Ox and Husky work on the same principle, so in essence should give the same result. With proper setup and tuning, they should both give a very similar ride. I find people swear by Equalizer too, but I've never tried one, so I'm not sure what the 'secret sauce' is to them vs. other friction bar setups.

With a trailer that size (~6000 lbs), if you have to buy a new hitch, I'd be seriously looking at the Andersen. I came close to going Andersen instead of Husky, but cost played a factor (Husky was on for half price at the time).

Oilberta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A 5.0 Sport Max Tow 6.5
I love my Blue ox… Propride is the best but I’m not spending the money they want for one.

Nordkin

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Love my Blue Ox Swaypro. Once I got the link correct, I have no sway or porpoising and do not feel 18 wheelers. I am pulling a 26ft ~ 6200 lb trailer with a 21 XLT 3.5 with tow package. Currently set at link 10, but could use link 9.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Very happy with our Blue Ox.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pjstud1v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat on order
I ended up ordering the Weigh Safe. It should be here this week and I hope to test it with my new camper soon.

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Having recently switched from a chain-style hitch to a Husky Centerline hitch, I like the Centerline way better. Handles wind and sway better, and eliminated any 'porpoising' I had on the one highway near me with bad ripple sections. I have a similar truck (2022 Powerboost Lariat, 157" wheelbase, non-max tow) and pull a Cougar 30BHS, so a bigger and heavier trailer. I've also added LT tires and Timbrens.

The Blue Ox and Husky work on the same principle, so in essence should give the same result. With proper setup and tuning, they should both give a very similar ride. I find people swear by Equalizer too, but I've never tried one, so I'm not sure what the 'secret sauce' is to them vs. other friction bar setups.

With a trailer that size (~6000 lbs), if you have to buy a new hitch, I'd be seriously looking at the Andersen. I came close to going Andersen instead of Husky, but cost played a factor (Husky was on for half price at the time).
I have the husky center line as well and am happy with it. Takes time to set it up correctly though they all do. They are also very noisy but that is what you get for metal in metal.

Pro-pride is the class std but I couldn't justify the cost for the amount of towing we do. If we towed more would likely step up to that one.

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
I was towing with a Blue Ox Sway-pro and thought it was terrible for handling sway. After a specific windy white knuckle trip I moved to a Camco TR3. I like it as it's quiet and IMO much better performance than the Blue Ox. I'll be giving away the Blue Ox.

I also disagree about sway being all about tongue weight, wind plays a pretty big part.

I do miss my F350 for towing though, didn't even bother with a WD hitch.

fatBatman

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 King Ranch
I ended up ordering the Weigh Safe. It should be here this week and I hope to test it with my new camper soon.
I saw this post last night and didn't get a chance to respond but you made the correct choice and picked the hitch I would recommend. It eliminates sway AND you don't need the fancy new "Pro-Access Tailgate" to get into the bed when hooked up. The hitch sits back far enough to drop the tailgate all the way without hitting anything. Plus, it tells you the weight you have on the tongue of your truck so you can perfectly dial in the appropriate load and distribute the correct amount of weight to the front axle as well as shift any weight in the trailer if necessary. It completely takes the guess work out of setting up a WDH and to me, that's gold. On top of everything else, this hitch tows like a dream. When towing my Airstream with my '21 5.0, I saw absolutely no wiggle in the trailer and porpoising down Louisiana bridges were immediately eliminated by the hitch.

In short, this is the only WDH I'd own.

Ford F-150 WDH advice IMG_0889.JPG
Ford F-150 WDH advice FALR

OP
OP

pjstud1v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat on order
I saw this post last night and didn't get a chance to respond but you made the correct choice and picked the hitch I would recommend. It eliminates sway AND you don't need the fancy new "Pro-Access Tailgate" to get into the bed when hooked up. The hitch sits back far enough to drop the tailgate all the way without hitting anything. Plus, it tells you the weight you have on the tongue of your truck so you can perfectly dial in the appropriate load and distribute the correct amount of weight to the front axle as well as shift any weight in the trailer if necessary. It completely takes the guess work out of setting up a WDH and to me, that's gold. On top of everything else, this hitch tows like a dream. When towing my Airstream with my '21 5.0, I saw absolutely no wiggle in the trailer and porpoising down Louisiana bridges were immediately eliminated by the hitch.

In short, this is the only WDH I'd own.

IMG_0889.JPG
FALR.png
I got the middleweight. I am hoping I can open my tailgate with it. If not, I’ll live. I can always open the Retrax cover to get into the bed with the gate up.

Sponsored

Chris GTO TT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT 302a
I towed (with my old truck, 2013 F-150) my 27ft travel trailer with a Husky Centerline, and just recently ordered the weigh-safe middleweight. I haven't had a chance to tow with the middleweight, but i always felt like the centerline was always just a bit off on its adjustment. I'm looking forward to being able to really dial in the weigh-safe on my new 2023. From everything I've read the weigh-safe is really the way to go unless you're willing to spend ProPride money.

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
I am happy with my Blue Ox swaypro

z-man

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Using the Fastway e2 Weight Distribution Hitch here. No complaints.

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
@fatBatman It's definitely a great hitch but do you have any idea why it has been discontinued? Looks like the new version will be more like the middleweight.

fatBatman

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 King Ranch
@fatBatman It's definitely a great hitch but do you have any idea why it has been discontinued? Looks like the new version will be more like the middleweight.
No idea. Maybe the weight? The one I have is stupid heavy (and it should be) so maybe they put it on a diet? The 2.0 version of the heavyweight looks a little smaller and more compact but I don’t know.
Call Weigh Safe tomorrow and ask them. They are very helpful every time I’ve called them. I bet they’d tell you the difference and when you find out, post it because I’d like to know.
All I know is, if I was to buy again, that’s the only one I’d look at.
Sponsored