BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I actually bought the 16 pin adapter a while back and it works great on my 2021.
Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
What's a good camera to use?

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I’m shopping for a dash cam myself. So far the features that seem most interesting to me are:

- 4k resolution (image quality)
- good quality night recording
- wifi or Bluetooth connection for downloading of footage onto phone without fumbling with taking out the micro sd
- front and rear cameras

I’ve seen a few models with these types of features but nothing that is a brand I recognize... maybe because dash cams are just now starting to become popular in the US.

And yes, there does seem to be more morons out there now adays. Just yesterday a guy randomly slammed on his brakes in front of me in the middle of a 6 lane road and did a U-turn... completely out of nowhere. I was able to swerve around him but the guy behind me very nearly ate it.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I’m shopping for a dash cam myself. So far the features that seem most interesting to me are:

- 4k resolution (image quality)
- good quality night recording
- wifi or Bluetooth connection for downloading of footage onto phone without fumbling with taking out the micro sd
- front and rear cameras

I’ve seen a few models with these types of features but nothing that is a brand I recognize... maybe because dash cams are just now starting to become popular in the US.

And yes, there does seem to be more morons out there now adays. Just yesterday a guy randomly slammed on his brakes in front of me in the middle of a 6 lane road and did a U-turn... completely out of nowhere. I was able to swerve around him but the guy behind me very nearly ate it.
Beware of shopping based on resolution. Any camera can upscale to 4K via digital manipulation. If you want something simple, plug and play, the Garmin cameras are great (and not that expensive). If money is no object get a thinkware with a built in DVR instead of a memory card. I use a Roav C1 Pro. It works. Can read license plates. Has GPS and WiFi. Can’t complain.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Thanks! That thinkware sounds interesting but yeah it is pricy. I noticed most that use a Micro SD ask that you reformat the card monthly, what a hassle, hope thats just an overly cautious recommendation.

Decided to try out the VIOFO A129 Pro. It has an 8MP sony image sensor, wifi and GPS. Some people seem to find the app finicky but the dash cam site seemed to rate it well so we’ll see.

mattl2

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
It would be a great idea. Are there any vehicles that have this?
I know the current generation of Ram 1500s have a 12V outlet on the dash right above the infotainment screen

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
I have a thinkware F800 Pro in my Subaru. Ended up getting a VIOFO A129 Duo for the truck, they both use the same method of parking mode where there's a cutoff that detects voltage and terminates recording if the battery drops past a certain voltage.

Ended up using fuse 3 for power and fuse 35 for accessory. There's a handy bolt right in front of the fusebox that I think mounts the BCM that I used for ground.

Also, would it have killed Ford to have included one of those little plastic fuse puller things?! Didn't see one in either fusebox.

Edit: I transplanted a mirrortap for my radar detector from another vehicle, works great.

Last edited:

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402A Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
You can get either of these from: https://www.dongartechnologies.com/

cornerview_lightened.png
71zPII0BEPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Both plug into the back of the mirror so you don't have to run wires.
The Dongar dongle, has got great reviews on Amazon, but is there a real downside to having power shut off with ignition (parking mode)? Looking at a Thinkware Q1000 bundle (also good reviews) on sale at BestBuy with one of these. My other option was the Thinkware OBD II Cable but their newest ones don't have an OBD II pass-thru and don't seem to be rated as highly. Ford Accessories also markets various Thinkware dashcams, all with pass-thru OBD II included, which somewhat negates their higher price. Any thoughts appreciated.

Ford F-150 USB power ports near rear view mirror? hwk-tw01

Ford F-150 USB power ports near rear view mirror? 17049024

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Viofo are great cameras. I have them in both our vehicles (I have the two channel in the truck) and also installed them in my daughter's vehicles.
Sponsored