First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat SCrew FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
IT Director
So I’m no electrician and had a couple companies give a proposal to wire the house for a transfer switch. The bids differed substantially though both specified the same Generac switch that I’ve seen referenced here. One technician said that the switch could NOT be used with a standard portable generator, the other said it could. From what I read I believe it cannot. If not, do I trust the technician who believes it can to do the work since they had the lower bid? Both companies are well known electrical companies in my area. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
There are a few electricians on here that can chime in, but I believe if you were to use a non-bonded generator with the proper full transfer switch that cuts your neutrals and grounds over (What’s required to make the PB work) you’d lose GFCI functionality.
@Hullguy ?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It will only work safely with bonded neutral generators, which is probably most inverter generators. Non-inverter generators could be bonded or floating neutral, but there are typically instructions on how to go from one to the other.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Can the Generac transfer switch be used with a portable generator? Yes. It is a neutral switching panel. Whether the generator is portable or fixed is irrelevant. The issue to be addressed is whether the generator is a floating or bonded neutral generator. The Generac Panel is designed for a Bonded neutral generator. The underlying issue is where and how many places are the neutral and ground bonded. In your house these are bonded either in the main panel or elswhere depending on your utility provider's requirements (mine requires it at the meter box on the outside of the residence). The NEC requires only one place. If you have a bonded neutral generator you'll have this bonding in two places... The Generac Panel then effectively opens the bonding connection inside the residence allowing the bond in the generator to be the single bonding point.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Also note, if bonded/grounded in two places you get ground looping and that is the problem.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician