"Trailer Wiring Fault" & "Trailer Disconnect"

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
I've had a long-standing problem with my travel trailer. I've reviewed many of the threads related to gain insight messages "Trailer Wiring Fault" & "Trailer Disconnect". I'm hoping for some insight from anyone who knows more about F-150s than do I (that should cover just about anyone on the forum).
Below is a summary of the phenomenon.
Additionally see screenshot from Forscan Lite indicating Trailer Brake output "short to ground". Cannot seem to find the date of occurrence anywhere, but highly likely AFTER it was evaluated by local dealer.

Notes & Questions
Problem:Message: "Trailer Wiring Fault" upon connection to trailerOccurs with 7-pin connection on Travel Trailer. No message when connecting 4-pin connector on boat;
Light checkAll lights functional
Depress Brake Gain tabsMessage: "Trailer disconnected"Message received during each trailer use over 1 year; vehicle light check indicated all functional, BRAKES FUNCTIONAL when towing; Trailer D/C is now constant when BC gain activated. TRAILER BRAKES NON-FUNCTIONAL when driving
Suggests fault in brake controller function
FUSES Checked42 - Trailer Brake Module# 42 Continuity Functional;
NONE of the fuses were fully seated
Test GND ResistanceTruck power OFF, No Trailer
GND - Frame0.0 ohmsJust what I'd expect
GND - 12V328 k ohmWhy do I see these resistance values for 4 pins?
Should I not expect to see 'O.L' for all?
GND - BC Output81 k ohm
GND - R TURN76 k ohm
GND - L TURN76 k ohm
GND - Reverse'O.L'
GND - TAIL/Run'O.L'
Test Pin VoltageTruck power ON, No Trailer
GND - 12V13.3 Volts
GND - TAIL/Run12.99 Volts
GND - R TURN100 mVsignals not activated; values expected, no variation in measurment
GND - L TURN100 mV
GND - BC Output100 - 350 mVbrakes not activated; constant variance within noted range
Brake Pedal depressed
GND - BC Output6.5 VoltsShould I not expect 12 Volts for BOTH?
Test Pin VoltageBrake Gain adjustment activated
GND - BC Output8.5 Volts
Other
Pins on truck and trailer and their general fitCleaning THOROUGHLY changed nothing; no intermittent connections noted; assessed multiple times over past year
Uninstall/Reinstall Trailer ProfilesIneffective
Ford Dealer AssessmentSimulatorall the little lights come on when they are supposed to…

Ford F-150 "Trailer Wiring Fault" & "Trailer Disconnect" IMG_0792
Sponsored

chrisO2002

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Gas only V6
Occupation
engineer
I also have done a pretty extensive review of the four different forums on this topic. The only "fixes" that I have seen so far is one person had the 7 pin connector replaced and one person rewired their right side rear break light. EVERYONE is searching for answers...

Ford F-150 "Trailer Wiring Fault" & "Trailer Disconnect" 2023-06-29 14.55.13 BlueDriver

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I've had a long-standing problem with my travel trailer. I've reviewed many of the threads related to gain insight messages "Trailer Wiring Fault" & "Trailer Disconnect". I'm hoping for some insight from anyone who knows more about F-150s than do I (that should cover just about anyone on the forum).
Below is a summary of the phenomenon.
Additionally see screenshot from Forscan Lite indicating Trailer Brake output "short to ground". Cannot seem to find the date of occurrence anywhere, but highly likely AFTER it was evaluated by local dealer.

Notes & Questions
Problem:Message: "Trailer Wiring Fault" upon connection to trailerOccurs with 7-pin connection on Travel Trailer. No message when connecting 4-pin connector on boat;
Light checkAll lights functional
Depress Brake Gain tabsMessage: "Trailer disconnected"Message received during each trailer use over 1 year; vehicle light check indicated all functional, BRAKES FUNCTIONAL when towing; Trailer D/C is now constant when BC gain activated. TRAILER BRAKES NON-FUNCTIONAL when driving
NONE of the fuses were fully seated
Should I not expect to see 'O.L' for all?
GND - BC Output81 k ohm
GND - R TURN76 k ohm
GND - L TURN76 k ohm
GND - Reverse'O.L'
GND - TAIL/Run'O.L'
GND - 12V13.3 Volts
GND - TAIL/Run12.99 Volts
GND - R TURN100 mVsignals not activated; values expected, no variation in measurment
GND - L TURN100 mV
GND - BC Output100 - 350 mVbrakes not activated; constant variance within noted range
Brake Pedal depressed
GND - BC Output6.5 VoltsShould I not expect 12 Volts for BOTH?
Test Pin VoltageBrake Gain adjustment activated
GND - BC Output8.5 Volts
Other
Pins on truck and trailer and their general fitCleaning THOROUGHLY changed nothing; no intermittent connections noted; assessed multiple times over past year
Ford Dealer AssessmentSimulatorall the little lights come on when they are supposed to…

IMG_0792.jpg
Is your fault intermittent? Have you noticed that the fault occurs only when you turn a certain direction? I ask because this because when my brother in law and me were trailering north to go snowmobiling we were getting an intermittent message when we would turn a corner, can't remember which way, that the trailer was disconnected . We finally determined that the plug was partially pulling out . We solved it temporarily by using a bungee to secure it into place. It was the trailer plug that was worn and not fitting tightly. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not observed that it occurs AFTER getting underway; occurs immediately following connection.
The new thing is that in addition to "trailer wiring fault" (upon connection) I see "trailer disconnected" when pressing the BC tabs. "TWF" with functional brakes was the behavior until recently.

I will be taking my truck back to dealer tomorrow with the data gathered so as to get them focused on a potential solution.
The service tech notes from first visit indicated no related DTCs and that without assessing my trailer as well there was no means of diagnosing the fault... No way possible to get my trailer into their service area, also ignoring that there are expected outputs that can be evaluated to determine fault location.
Second visit (next day, due to dissatisfaction with another issue) shop foreman used a simulator and the lights come on as they should.
Given the low voltage when brake pedal and BC tabs are activated, it suggests the simulator is an insufficient diagnostic tool.
Given the B148A: 11-08 code I'll suggest they replace the connector.

I'll post more about any corrections. Your help is appreciated...

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Posting updated data to make the best case when I take truck back to dealer tomorrow.
GIven it was not clear if the fault was truck v. trailer, I had to start writing down my own diagnostic approach.
Happy reading; will post results soon that may help everyone.
VIN: 1FTFW1ED8NFA16722
Notes & Questions
Vehicle Light checkAll stop/turn/reverse lights functional
Cleaning/FitmentSpray electronics cleaner on male/female aspects followed by deep insertion cleaning with thin blade/cloth and light spray with CorrosionX protectant.Cleaning truck and trailer connectors THOROUGHLY on multiple occasions changed nothing; no intermittent connections noted over course of 1 year.
TWF ALWAYS occurred upon trailer connection. Cleaning connectors and manipulating connection NEVER corrected the TWF message even temporarily.
Ford Dealer Assessment 1No related DTC; DTC log cleared.
Simulator
All the little lights come on when they are supposed to…
What is the voltage threshold for the lights to turn on?
If < 6.5 Volts, simulator is insufficient diagnostic tool.
NONE of the fuses were fully seated. Removal/reseating fuses reportedly has cleared message "Trailer Brake Module… faults. No apparent faults from DTC
Should I not expect to see O.L for all?
GND - BC Output81 k ohm
GND - R TURN76 k ohm
GND - L TURN76 k ohm
GND - Reverse'O.L"
GND - TAIL/Run'O.L"
GND - 12V13.3 V
GND - TAIL/Run12.99 V
GND - R TURN100 mVTurn signals not activated; values not unexpected but less-than-ideal, no variation in measurement
GND - L TURN100 mV
GND - BC Output100 - 350 mVBrakes pedal not depressed; continuous variance within noted range; can be reasonably interpreted as shorting to GND consistent with B148A:11-08 Circuit Short to GND noted in Forscan error log
(occurred AFTER simulator assessment noted above)
Brake Pedal depressedExpected Value = 12 Volts
GND - BC Output6.5 Volts
Brake Gain adjustment activated
GND - BC Output8.5 Volts
Other
Ford Dealer Assessment 2Pending; Provided relevant Forscan log screenshots to Eddie RuizB148A:11-08 Circuit Short to GND; "Miles since DTCs cleared = 57"
Trailer has not been connected to truck in several thousand miles, thus trailer did not cause the logged fault
Preventive replacement of fuse 42
diagnose location of short and replace appropriate components

Sponsored

uk_brewer

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Have you had any success getting this diagnosed yet? I’m taking mine in for the same issue on Monday.
I get the same “trailer disconnected” error message when first connected. I can see the side marker lights are still on, my rear view camera is still functional. Will slow down and test trailer brakes manually and Those are still operational.

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The dealer replaced the connector, P/N HU5Z-14489-B "SLEEVE-WIRIN" [truncated on svc record]
Service advisor thanked me for diagnosing the fault on their behalf.

I am concluding that the lowly service tech doing the job relies heavily on TSB, SSM and WSM for actions to be taken. Recorded notes suggest restricted thinking. I would imagine that rather than ask the question "what would have to be true for this reported event to occur?" the tech simply followed the path, so to speak and since no DTC, no problem existed and couldn't be diagnosed without the trailer attached...
Not to mention the half-dozen other cars he's being asked to fix simultaneously...
My opinion is the tech should have measured resistance and voltage as I did on the first visit. I would imagine the high-resistance connection with the POWER OFF would have suggested a fault if they were thinking out-of-the-box.

Interestingly, there was also a fault in the trailer wiring (which the truck appears to have detected [Trailer Wiring Fault], but the waters were muddied by the truck fault).

Pulling the breakaway pin out, the brake wires smoked due to dead short. Short caused by the undercover panel screwed through into the wiring harness; cover has not been removed previously. Took it a year to fully short out, apparently causing the "Trailer Disconnected" message. $1200 repair.
Getting trailer back today and leaving on a 25-day trip Monday. I will post more if anything noteworthy appears.

uk_brewer

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Looks like they replaced the trailer tow wiring harness. I’ll be sure to let the service department know.
Thanks.
Sponsored