Tools Needed for 360 Camera, Lane Keep and Front Bumper Sensors Modifications

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I am looking to add 360 Camera, Lane Keep / Radar Cruise and front bumper parking sensors to a 302A XLT. In the past I did low voltage home electric work (alarms etc) and way before that i did car audio installs so I have lots of tools for running and crimping wires etc but if I have to pin connectors is there any must have tools for that task? Do I need to run mini coax where I might need to install some terminators. Any specific tools I should be looking for? Thanks
Sponsored

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I added all that except the cameras to my xlt. Used a basic pin crimper from Amazon. I ran 10 wires from the ipma to the front bumper harness connection, replaced the bumper harness and spliced into the BODY side of the connector. My only regret was the funky silicone coated wire I bought from Amazon so I had 10 different colors. Jacket was too thick and super flimsy and hard to push into the connectors. As far as pinning the connectors, providing your wire is stiff enough, you simply push them in after “unlocking” the locking feature of the connector. It would be handy to have a pin removal tool as well in case you pin them in the wrong spots.
Good luck

OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I added all that except the cameras to my xlt. Used a basic pin crimper from Amazon. I ran 10 wires from the ipma to the front bumper harness connection, replaced the bumper harness and spliced into the BODY side of the connector. My only regret was the funky silicone coated wire I bought from Amazon so I had 10 different colors. Jacket was too thick and super flimsy and hard to push into the connectors. As far as pinning the connectors, providing your wire is stiff enough, you simply push them in after “unlocking” the locking feature of the connector. It would be handy to have a pin removal tool as well in case you pin them in the wrong spots.
Good luck
Thanks.. I got burnt from cheap amazon wire before when doing a rewire on my boat trailer. Wire fell apart within two years. I was thinking same logic as you - if the bumper to IPMA path is missing any wires I need I can/should bypass the firewall connector. On day1 I will see how many wires I need and estimate length and try to find a price to buy good quality wire.

nall

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
Tinkerer
I added all that except the cameras to my xlt. Used a basic pin crimper from Amazon. I ran 10 wires from the ipma to the front bumper harness connection, replaced the bumper harness and spliced into the BODY side of the connector.
Is this mod documented anywhere? I'm interested in it as well (and will watch this thread), but would like to get a handle on part numbers and how to check if I'll need to run IPMA wires.

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Sponsored

OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I am starting to build out a part list here. It is based on Jesse's list from another thread that I was using to track my costs. Most of the cables are coming in tomorrow so I can sanity-check what I bought so far. I am $1700 in for 360 camera, laser cruise module, and some allocation toward active park assist. (harness not sensors). I have not done the job yet so I cant guarantee anything but will have a good idea once my cables come in. As far as determining what wires are needed to run - that is what I plan to make a video of once the truck comes in.

Link to google sheet - http://bit.ly/3IHRqTc. I have about $1700 into it - $1700 is a lot but 1)I couldn't get an active cruise on the 302A when I ordered 2)360 camera required tow package (which I don't need) with the total cost being $2000. 3)I had a lariat on the order that had these items for 3 months before ordering an XLT that got picked up quickly.

Last edited:

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150