2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
For real trail running nothing compares to a small pickup. I took one of my Toyota 4WD pickups over the Rubicon trail and now was would this be possible with a full size pickup. My only complaint is that Toyota over the years kept increasing horsepower of the engines to the detriment of miles per gallon. At least I used to be able to replace the factory gas tank with a Titan one and nearly double my range between fuel stops. Now that is not possible unless one goes with a diesel engine.

For going off the road into the backcountry I use a third of my fuel to reach my destination and a third to return and have a third of a tank as a safety margin as mpg decreases when one is crawling along. With the 2024 Range Raptor my range with this approach is about 100 miles off the highway. Given a choice I would rather have my bF-150 with its 36 gallon fuel tank.

I used to have racks for 5-gallon jerry cans on my Willys vehicles and it was far from ideal. When I could instead replace the factory gas tank with a larger custom tank it was a far better way to increase my driving range.