• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The Lightning Forum needs to provide member titles with verified credentials

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Too many flippant and half truths already infiltrating this forum. EVs are a different animal. The Admins need to start a vetting process to add a tag to users that are “verified experts in EVs” to sort the wheat from the chaff as they say.
Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Too many flippant and half truths already infiltrating this forum. EVs are a different animal. The Admins need to start a vetting process to add a tag to users that are “verified experts in EVs” to sort the wheat from the chaff as they say.
Heh, I can't see the admins wanting to do a vetting process, but it does get frustrating when it comes to misinformation on EVs. Even some of it that was accurate, it's about limitations from years ago that largely don't apply. Or they only focus on the negative stuff (like longer charge times on road trips compared to refueling), and not the offset positives (like starting every day with a "full tank"), not needing to stop for gas on the way to work or whatever, which offsets the time spent on roadtrips.

On the other F-150 forum, I had to just step away from the lightning thread because the anti-EV guys were just insistent on spouting half-truths or flat out incorrect information. And if I have to hear one more time about how the "grid" can't handle them I may yell. There are legitimate negatives to EVs compared to ICE, but it's an evolving technology and nobody, anywhere, is forcing you to buy a Lightning over a 5.0L or whatever. It will be decades before ICE vehicles are truly phased out, and some of these people need to chill.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
This is exactly why the lightning needs its own standalone forum.
We see the same thing in the stand-alone Mach E Forum. That's what the ignore button is for. Also wait until the Teslastans start flocking in to tell us why the Cybertruck is the best thing since bread buttered by a cyborg!

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
We see the same thing in the stand-alone Mach E Forum. That's what the ignore button is for. Also wait until the Teslastans start flocking in to tell us why the Cybertruck is the best thing since bread buttered by a cyborg!
Tesla fanbois are a surly bunch. The CT is still in the quoting phase, my company is currently quoting significant CT content. Tesla is demanding 6-9 months timing to launch and for reference, the fastest time frame done to date is 18 months on the parts we are quoting, 6-9 months in not achievable.
CT is still vapor ware and 18-24 months off from production no matter how many cut corners Tesla takes.

Ford, Hummer and Rivian all caught Tesla napping on EV trucks.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I think that this discussion forum would be the best place to dispel these myths and educate others rather than cloister yourselves in an "EV only" echo chamber where there's a danger that you might be seen by ICE owners as a bunch of arrogant twats having jerk circles over how much better you are than them rather than the more likely conversations of extending battery range/life and finding charging stations.

There's already a big enough divide between the two methods of propulsion when it involves vehicles that sometimes look very different, why make such a big deal when they share the same silhouette?

Though thanks to the distinguishing light bars front and rear, it's only a matter of time before a proud first time EV owner in his new Lightning posts to ask why he got brakechecked by a Duramax last night on the highway and the same thing happened the other day when a Cummins Ram tried running him off the road while rolling coal. Jealousy, ignorance or apathy can be lessened by embracing the similarities over the differences.

We have rednecks in California keying Teslas in front of antique shops and diesel pickup trucks already deliberately parking at charging stations because they think it's funny. The Us vs. Them mentality needs to end because it's incredibly ignorant on both sides. EV and hybrid owners aren't innocent either, I've witnessed silly behavior on that side as well. I personally was subjected to a lecture while trying to take a nap on the hood of a Chevy Suburban by two girls at Sarah Lawrence College in NY, I was there with the Suburban because I worked at an environmental non-profit and the original fleet was purchased by Jane Fonda of all people. We would load eight people into them for our environmental campaigns. I elected to just smile at them and stay silent; it was a Friday and I was done debating people for the week.

There will always be the guy who says "I won't get the Lightnin' cuz it won't tow." They're usually also the dude who says "Forget F-150, it's for women and little boys, step up to the F-250 and be a man." That individual is probably best ignored but for the people either parroting silly shit they've heard at the bar or those just a bit confused or conflating some facts; they are the ones who will benefit the most from EV discussion. They might not have made a reservation for the 2022 but they very likely will be candidates for a 2025 when they are ready for their next truck.

I think that a separate forum at this point would increase the likelihood that EV owners are perceived as elitist by regular F-150 owners, who only in 2021 have been introduced to hybrid powertrains and now are suddenly immersed in a flood of battery EV discussion with terminology alien to them. Should the forums be split at this point, I can only imagine the reasons and misinformation given after the fact.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
Brian,

With all due respect.....

what would the vetting criteria be?

1) prior ownership of an EV?
2) works in automotive field?
3)Engineering degree required?

If these are what you are thinking, your forum members who are qualified to post would be very limited.

most lightning owners would not even qualify.

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
My 2 cents.... part of the benefit Of a forum like this is reading the responses and the banter and disagreements. If someone spews out some BS then present the facts. Frankly, i read it all and figure out who is full of BS and who appears to know what they are talking about.

I think the Lighting looks good for a lot of people. I won’t be an early adopter with how I use my truck but once the charging network is more built out then Id consider it more seriously. And, I wouldn’t be caught dead driving that Cybertruck. Looks like something I drew when I was 10 years old. honestly, I thought it was some kind of joke when they revealed it. But, Im sure some people love how it looks. to Each their own.

I am trying to convince my wife to get a mustang Mach e. it is perfect for how she uses her vehicle. She is almost there.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think that this discussion forum would be the best place to dispel these myths and educate others rather than cloister yourselves in an "EV only" echo chamber where there's a danger that you might be seen by ICE owners as a bunch of arrogant twats having jerk circles over how much better you are than them rather than the more likely conversations of extending battery range/life and finding charging stations.

There's already a big enough divide between the two methods of propulsion when it involves vehicles that sometimes look very different, why make such a big deal when they share the same silhouette?

Though thanks to the distinguishing light bars front and rear, it's only a matter of time before a proud first time EV owner in his new Lightning posts to ask why he got brakechecked by a Duramax last night on the highway and the same thing happened the other day when a Cummins Ram tried running him off the road while rolling coal. Jealousy, ignorance or apathy can be lessened by embracing the similarities over the differences.

We have rednecks in California keying Teslas in front of antique shops and diesel pickup trucks already deliberately parking at charging stations because they think it's funny. The Us vs. Them mentality needs to end because it's incredibly ignorant on both sides. EV and hybrid owners aren't innocent either, I've witnessed silly behavior on that side as well. I personally was subjected to a lecture while trying to take a nap on the hood of a Chevy Suburban by two girls at Sarah Lawrence College in NY, I was there with the Suburban because I worked at an environmental non-profit and the original fleet was purchased by Jane Fonda of all people. We would load eight people into them for our environmental campaigns. I elected to just smile at them and stay silent; it was a Friday and I was done debating people for the week.

There will always be the guy who says "I won't get the Lightnin' cuz it won't tow." They're usually also the dude who says "Forget F-150, it's for women and little boys, step up to the F-250 and be a man." That individual is probably best ignored but for the people either parroting silly shit they've heard at the bar or those just a bit confused or conflating some facts; they are the ones who will benefit the most from EV discussion. They might not have made a reservation for the 2022 but they very likely will be candidates for a 2025 when they are ready for their next truck.

I think that a separate forum at this point would increase the likelihood that EV owners are perceived as elitist by regular F-150 owners, who only in 2021 have been introduced to hybrid powertrains and now are suddenly immersed in a flood of battery EV discussion with terminology alien to them. Should the forums be split at this point, I can only imagine the reasons and misinformation given after the fact.
I totally agree, on everything. I voted that it should just be a subtopic, like the Raptor or PowerBoost. I have no problem discussing EVs and the pros/cons, I think it's just repeating myself that gets old. On the other thread I mentioned, the same talking points kept coming up. "The range won't work for someone that drives 800 miles a day!", "The grid will fail, look at California!", "Why do I have to subsidize this technology with tax dollars if it's so great?!" (Definitely don't want to discuss the tens of billions in tax breaks the energy sector gets to keep fuel prices low).

Every topic just gets off topic in minutes as we start having to dive into things like, why our grid shouldn't be so fragile that some EVs bring it down, and that's a good sign we have work to do. And then it's not about the vehicle.

So i don't want an echo chamber, but there may need to be a slightly heavier amount of moderation if someone is taking things a little too off the topic, as it often eventually seems to go into the extreme weeds of political affiliation and name calling real fast when you talk about alternative energy.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
I agree with most of the above.

If you like the lightning by all means buy it and enjoy it for what it is.

Unfortunately EV is super political in nature and that is where the lines get drawn. Just how the country is right now.

Having owned an EV, it served its purpose, enjoyed the experience. I got “coal rolled” a few times and understood it. I got “ ICE’d” at public chargers and understood it. I took crap from coworkers when my company offered free charging spots and I understood it.

Buy it and enjoy it, but understand there will always be something to deal with. It’s just the reality.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
In California our grid isn’t failing due to EV’s... its failing due to power company greed and gov officials failing to do their oversight. There are also other factors such as energy sources being used, conflicting regulations, etc.... I hadn’t heard that EV’s were to blame before but yeah, not really a factor.

As for nobody is forcing you to buy an EV over your 5.0...I actually think that one is a myth as that is exactly what they are doing in CA... granted its a decade or two out but it’s already signed into law, there is a point where I am going to be forced to buy an EV.... as such I get to complain about any limitations so that manufactures can address them before that day comes where I no longer have a choice and make an EV that will work for how I choose to travel.

edit:
To be clear I am not anti-EV... The tech is cool and I am excited to see it improving. I like hearing about it and I like that the EV folks are a part of our forum. I just want EV to be at the point where I really want it before I get forced into it.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In California our grid isn’t failing due to EV’s... its failing due to power company greed and gov officials failing to do their oversight. There are also other factors such as energy sources being used, conflicting regulations, etc.... I hadn’t heard that EV’s were to blame before but yeah, not really a factor.

As for nobody is forcing you to buy an EV over your 5.0...I actually think that one is a myth as that is exactly what they are doing in CA... granted its a decade or two out but it’s already signed into law, there is a point where I am going to be forced to buy an EV.... as such I get to complain about any limitations so that manufactures can address them before that day comes where I no longer have a choice and make an EV that will work for how I choose to travel.

edit:
To be clear I am not anti-EV... The tech is cool and I am excited to see it improving. I like hearing about it and I like that the EV folks are a part of our forum. I just want EV to be at the point where I really want it before I get forced into it.
Yeah I love your post, it's where things should be. I have probably come off as an EV fanboi or something, but it's not because I think they are without flaw, I am WELL aware of their flaws, I just end up dealing with information that is just clearly wrong. I also agree before we talk about dumping ICE vehicles we need to be sure nobody is being left out by going to EV. I appreciate though that action is being taken, and have no doubt things will get pushed out if we get to that point and things aren't ready.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
I am interested in what information are you dealing with that is wrong?

let’s just vet the information directly versus vetting for only experts.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The grid argument, while false, is at least based in reality. The ones that hurt my head are the batshit crazy arguments that fake environmental groups funded through oil and gas companies and also supported by NIMBYs use against wind energy. The best is 'Shadow Flicker' then there's low frequency hum and other nonsense that I can't remember that the writers of the X-Files probably wished that they had thought of. That is all while there are perfectly valid arguments against wind turbines which already exist, like whether or not they're actually sustainable or their danger to birds. Though, instead of looking at spreadsheets and monitoring avian populations, how about we talk about how EMF will eventually turn us all into flesh eating zombies!

I see that Ford has been using their press releases to quietly avert some of the grid arguments, like how you can use the Lightning's battery during peak energy hours to save surcharges or power your house during rolling blackouts. Though, I think that it's been quiet because it's not going to power a heck of a lot. Since the only solution is using less energy. For places that no longer allow grid-tied solar, the Lightning is an excellent alternative or enhancement to large battery walls if the usage is compatible.

Making EVs political fodder was the biggest mistake and having people like Ed Begley Jr. champion them did more harm than good, practically playing into the whole plot of GM sabotaging their EV1. Before the EV1, I subscribed to the Electrifying Times magazine and talked about it with my car enthusiast acquaintances and we all agreed how awesome it would be to build an electric drag racer and all the performance benefits of an electric drivetrain. depressingly, lead-acid deep cycle batteries were the only attainable option for the average person and the only people that converted their cars to electric were extreme enthusiasts or outré dudes with wizard beards, beer bellies and recumbent bicycles.

One thing that needs to be explained to those getting triggered anytime an EV is mentioned is that the Lightning and Mach-E are now the best friends of the V8 and with CAFE numbers going ever upward, no ICE vehicles including a reimagined Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift or Ford Festiva can save the V8s better than a battery electric vehicle.

For the EV owners clutching their pearls when a poster says the government can take a 5.0 or Ecoboost from their cold dead hands; you need to ask yourselves if you would be able to make due with public transport, ride sharing or work from home car free solutions. Then all of a sudden, you'll find yourselves making the same justifications the guys with guilty consciences are making in regards to the Lightning.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
The Admins need to start a vetting process to add a tag to users that are “verified experts in EVs” to sort the wheat from the chaff as they say.
Well then they need to do the same for this forum. Typical internet chat forums, tons of bad info, lots of guessing, people think its FB and just love to post anything just to be posting. This will never change as there are very few "verified experts" in the first place and probably none on here.
Sponsored