Sponsored

SOLVED - Any idea why Google Maps is not loading in Android Auto?

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I believe it used to at some point, now I don't see it among the apps that do load, only Waze does.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Maybe Waze is set as default. Any way to change that?

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe Waze is set as default. Any way to change that?
Well, you can't really set Waze or google maps as default, but since you raised this possibility I did check both apps and discovered that Google Maps was disabled on the phone for some reason (even though I launched it on the phone all the time, including in the truck when the phone was connected to AA) 🤷‍♂️.

I think I know when I disabled it though: I had some kind of a "GO" or "Drive" version of Google Maps (can't even find it now) and if I'm not mistaken, Google Maps disappeared from AA right after I installed that version, so earlier today I tried to uninstall it but all I could do was to Disable it, so perhaps I disabled the entire Google Maps app and not just that part of it. Perhaps it was even some kind of Google Map Widget, not a stand alone app, but I am 99% confident that this prevented Google Maps from AA.

So thank you for that idea :)

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
It usually defaults to the last map app open. So, when you hold the speak button down and ask it to navigate to a location, it uses the last map app.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It usually defaults to the last map app open. So, when you hold the speak button down and ask it to navigate to a location, it uses the last map app.

I am not able to "tell" SYNC to use any navigation other than the built-in, and the built-in navigation sucks.
The AA Waze version also sucks, you cannot talk to it, you cannot add stops to a route, it always stops seconds after I start a route for an unknow reason.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I am not able to "tell" SYNC to use any navigation other than the built-in, and the built-in navigation sucks.
The AA Waze version also sucks, you cannot talk to it, you cannot add stops to a route, it always stops seconds after I start a route for an unknow reason.
If you want to use Google assistant, hold down the talk button instead of just pressing it and letting go.

Short press - ford's voice recognition
press and hold - Siri/Google assistant

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you want to use Google assistant, hold down the talk button instead of just pressing it and letting go.

Short press - ford's voice recognition
press and hold - Siri/Google assistant

Yes, I am aware of that, but I am wondering how can I "activate" a route in Waze for example. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Google Assistant will open Waze and/or if it opens it, it will accept a dictated "drive to".

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yes, I am aware of that, but I am wondering how can I "activate" a route in Waze for example. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Google Assistant will open Waze and/or if it opens it, it will accept a dictated "drive to".
Gotcha. I misunderstood. You should be able to change the default app that Google assistant uses for navigation.

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6291190?hl=en#zippy=,android-version

Btw, just in case you didn't know, Google owns Waze.

edit: link for Samsung phones in particular: https://www.samsung.com/my/support/mobile-devices/how-to-change-default-navigation-app/

Reactions: sbi

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Not sure, I have no issues with my Pixel 6.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gotcha. I misunderstood. You should be able to change the default app that Google assistant uses for navigation.

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6291190?hl=en#zippy=,android-version

Btw, just in case you didn't know, Google owns Waze.

edit: link for Samsung phones in particular: https://www.samsung.com/my/support/mobile-devices/how-to-change-default-navigation-app/
Doesn't work :censored:

This article is from 2020, not sure if they changed anything in Android 12 or if it's my phone (it's an international version phone with dual SIM), but I cannot clear defaults - or set default - for either Google Maps or Waze, it is grayed out:

Ford F-150 SOLVED - Any idea why Google Maps is not loading in Android Auto? Screenshot_20220615-093028_Settings

Ford F-150 SOLVED - Any idea why Google Maps is not loading in Android Auto? Screenshot_20220615-093036_Settings (2)

And funny enough, both apps show "Open by Default":

Ford F-150 SOLVED - Any idea why Google Maps is not loading in Android Auto? Screenshot_20220615-093532_Settings

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Sorry, @sbi. I guess you're right and something has changed in android 12. That sucks

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, @sbi. I guess you're right and something has changed in android 12. That sucks
🤷‍♂️

But if you have the newest Pixel, this should also have Android 12, no? that's the latest Android version.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
🤷‍♂️

But if you have the newest Pixel, this should also have Android 12, no? that's the latest Android version.
Yes, but I use google maps :) They bake in some of the Waze stuff. I tried it for a bit a while ago, but never got hooked on it.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
@sbi, I did spend some time trying to get waze to be default and couldn't. I haven't messed with defaults in Android 12 very much. Seems like Google did their Google thing and removed or broke something that people actually use.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: sbi