Sponsored

Sanity Check on F150 Order Process

Dirrby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Excursion, Maverick
My local dealership placed an order on my behalf for a 2023 F150 Powerboost without discussing any details with me. Is that normal?

Late last week I contacted my local Ford dealer expressing interest in custom ordering an XL Powerboost F150 when order banks open. I provided a build sheet from the 2022 Build tool and they made a copy of my license. This was on Thursday. I fully expected a follow up meeting to go over 2023 pricing and build options but they submitted an order on my behalf without any further discussion. I wasn't even aware until I received an email from Ford that my order had been received.

Today I drove to the dealership to get answers. Their position is that I can work out all of the details and make changes in about a week with no consequences. Essentially, they did me a favor by submitting my order right away to secure a better position in line.

I asked about price protection and locking in Fords 2.9% 60 month APR (secured for 6 months) and one guy told me that "this isn't a mortgage.. you don't lock in your interested rate". They assured me I'll be price protected with no explanation how that actually works. "Just come back in a week and we'll figure it all out".

Just looking for some input and guidance from those who are more familiar with the process. It may be the times, but this just feels off. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JoshuaL450

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 6.5' 302A Package Black
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My local dealership placed an order on my behalf for a 2023 F150 Powerboost without discussing any details with me. Is that normal?

Late last week I contacted my local Ford dealer expressing interest in custom ordering an XL Powerboost F150 when order banks open. I provided a build sheet from the 2022 Build tool and they made a copy of my license. This was on Thursday. I fully expected a follow up meeting to go over 2023 pricing and build options but they submitted an order on my behalf without any further discussion. I wasn't even aware until I received an email from Ford that my order had been received.

Today I drove to the dealership to get answers. Their position is that I can work out all of the details and make changes in about a week with no consequences. Essentially, they did me a favor by submitting my order right away to secure a better position in line.

I asked about price protection and locking in Fords 2.9% 60 month APR (secured for 6 months) and one guy told me that "this isn't a mortgage.. you don't lock in your interested rate". They assured me I'll be price protected with no explanation how that actually works. "Just come back in a week and we'll figure it all out".

Just looking for some input and guidance from those who are more familiar with the process. It may be the times, but this just feels off. Thanks in advance.
Seems fishy but did you pay them any money?

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
Modifications can be done till order goes to plant. So your dealer did a favor to you by placing the order on time.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I agree that it is good to get an order in if you want a 2023. How much of a "place in line" this is is questionable at best. Ford determines the scheduling and the date when you placed the order is low on the criteria for scheduling. Many other factors come first, but this is good.

You should stay on this and do what they say to go back early to finalize the details. The details are everything when you order. Waiting another week is nothing in the ordering game, but at some point soon you need to wrap up the details.

What is the price protection based on. The best dealers base it on date of order. This is especially important if the pricing is based on invoice price. If it based on MSRP at the time of order that is good too but significantly less good than based on invoice pricing.

Locking in financing rates is not something that is uncommon, but they may do it. Since rates can swing regularly, and especially lately, most are reluctant to lock that in.

If you are speaking with this dealer and they are speaking the cost of the truck based on MSRP, please understand that you can save thousands, big thousands, if you do not mind traveling. In Iowa there is a dealer Granger that posts on this forum regularly and you can get a deal based on invoice pricing, not sticker price MSRP. This is certainly not as convenient as buying locally but saving $6+k is nothing to sneeze at.

Good luck with your dealings and keep us posted.

Last edited:

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Well, if you refuse to purchase the truck then the dealer has one to put on their lot in the future. Would I be correct in thinking this way? Also--- I ordered an F250 in 1984 and the truck came in about a month later because the dealer had ordered a base optioned truck that they could add options to at a later date. I specified my options and they were added to that truck. My truck was in the 'system' even before I ordered it.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
@Dirrby - suggestions / comments for your consideration ....

First, about specifying your vehicle: Now that the Order Guide and MSRP/Invoice price lists for 2023 are posted on this forum I'd focus on careful study of those documents and assembling a list of 2023 Order Guide codes that describe the exact truck you want. There are some likely significant differences between what you ran with the 2022 B&P tool and what's actually in place for 2023, depending on the trim-level and options you are aiming for. I'd forget the 2022 B&P and use the 2023 Order Guide data for all further discussions with the dealer about what they enter in their WBDO system for your order. Get a print-out of your 'final' WBDO order page and make sure that is exaclty what you want before you sign a Purchase Agreement.

Yes, spec changes can be made until much later in this process but some types of changes will trigger a 'reset' of your order and price-protection date. I urge that you be very careful and dilligent to get your final spec correct from the start and never change that - by doing so you will avoid any possibility of fututre complications or surprises.

Second, about financing 'lock-in': It is correct that Ford will not 'lock-in' a particular rate for you at this time, that because there are too many months before delivery when you will actually buy the vehicle and your financial situation insofar as credit-worthiness (your ability to actually qualify for a particular rate/terms) may change in that period. IOW, your ability to qualify for a loan at particular rates/terms will be based on a credit application made within a very short period at time of actual delivery of the truck and execution of loan documents.

BUT, it is also correct that when you do finally close the deal you will have a choice between the Ford financing terms in place at time of order OR terms in place at time of delivery to the extent you qualify for those terms when the loan is made months from now. So, IMO, it's very worthwhile to get the dealer to look in 'Smart VIncent' system they have linked to Ford and print-out the financing options that are available at the time of Order just for future reference.

Third, about sales price: This is a matter between you and the dealer separate from Ford price protection. Dealers are not obligated to pass-through Ford Price protection to retail buyers. Once you have a spec nailed down and can see the MSRP/Invoice price you need to have the discussion with the dealer about what they will agree to sell the vehicle for and whether or not that is a firm-fixed price based on price protection or is subject to change based on any MSRP increases between time of order and time of delivery. Granger Ford, just as one example, will agree to a firm fixed price based on a % below Invoice at time of Order and pass through of price-protection; other dealers will not. Do not sign a Purchase Agreement until those terms are resolved to your satisfaction, but definitely do get a Purchase Agreement signed by both you and the dealer if/when you do get acceptable terms.

IMO there's nothing that's happened so far that suggests this dealer is out to screw you, but IF that comes to light during the follow-up discussions in the next short period of time while you are trying to nail-down this deal, just walk away and find another dealer that's willing to meet your needs better. Don't worry about whatever the dealer has 'ordered in your name', that likely can't be cancelled with Ford, it'll just become part of that dealer's inventory for sale when eventually delivered. You can still have another 'order in your name' in Ford's system, no problem.

Again, just for your consideration, good luck!

Last edited:

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
my "order" yesterday went down about the same way. they used the 2022 build sheet at the sales desk, then he walked it to the order person to supposedly enter it in the 2023 system.
they took a copy of my drivers license, was told they have to show Ford they really have a fish on the hook and not just buying for their own inventory.

also, no money down, nothing locked in and no hard confirmation I have to buy it, but I suposse that also means my order could just be smoke and mirrors too.

and I have a few changes I want to make as well. I suspect I have plenty of time to do that or stress the details.

since I am driving a new Ranger I am not too worried if it happens or not.
Sponsored