Sponsored

Roll-n-lock A XT VS. RetraxPro XR

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
My experience is that the Retrax keeps the bed dry. I might get a trickle at the tailgate going through the car wash, but not enough to notice.
Living in the PNW it didn’t take long to see water in the bed. I’m not referring to the tailgate corners. I had water come in through the side tracks. Water makes its way into the tracks where it can migrate across the bottom of the cover. I spoke with ReTrax CS about this and they acknowledged that there is nothing to stop water from coming in. Of course, the canister box has two tubes to empty water that accumulates when the over is opened. YMMV.
Sponsored

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Living in the PNW it didn’t take long to see water in the bed. I’m not referring to the tailgate corners. I had water come in through the side tracks. Water makes its way into the tracks where it can migrate across the bottom of the cover. I spoke with ReTrax CS about this and they acknowledged that there is nothing to stop water from coming in. Of course, the canister box has two tubes to empty water that accumulates when the over is opened. YMMV.
I, too, live in the PNW and my truck lives outside 100% of the time.
I can't speak to your experience with water coming in through the side rails, I can only speak to my own -which is that I've seen very, very little water intrusion through a RetraxPro XR, sidewalls or elsewhere.
I don't doubt your experiences with the cover at all, just saying that my experience has been much different.

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I really like my Roll n Lock A XT but I'm sure you cant go wrong with either. Install was a breeze. I'd say my only gripe is the rope used to extend the cover can be cumbersome and get in the way sometimes. I believe you grab the Retrax from the side which can be advantageous, unless you are shorter or have a lift.
I have a powerboost and wondered if I could slip an rv power cord out of the bed without opening the R&L 1/3 of the way.

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I would be happy to answer any technical questions if you have any!
thanks! Curious if the rollnlock can be locked with a slight gap at the tailgate. I have a powerboost and would like to power my camper, but need to keep things in the bed secure. The power cable is about 1/2” thick.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I just put a retrax one XR on last week after 3 years with some $150 Amazon roll up cover. Was easy to install and way better than the roll up since it actually stays latched and doesn’t have a big gash where someone cut it open a few years ago.

After some crazy wind the other week blew it up and broken the latches completely had take it for and really should have done this earlier. Feel really lucky no damage was done to the truck when probably 60-70 mile an hour winds ripped it off and it smashed first the side of the truck and then blew up and came down on the sun roof… should have done this years ago…

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I’ve had Retrax on 2 trucks since 2013. Love them. Not waterproof but very little water gets in.

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I have the roll n lock (without the slotted rails) and love it. Been on the truck for maybe 3 months and is very water tight. Minimal water at the tailgate corners Only
I have a powerboost and wondered if I could slip an rv power cord out of the bed without opening the R&L 1/3 of the way. What do you think?

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I really like my Roll n Lock A XT but I'm sure you cant go wrong with either. Install was a breeze. I'd say my only gripe is the rope used to extend the cover can be cumbersome and get in the way sometimes. I believe you grab the Retrax from the side which can be advantageous, unless you are shorter or have a lift.
is there a way to open it just a crack so an extension cord could pass by?

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
thanks! Curious if the rollnlock can be locked with a slight gap at the tailgate. I have a powerboost and would like to power my camper, but need to keep things in the bed secure. The power cable is about 1/2” thick.
The only Roll N Lock model that can stop anywhere along the rails will be the Electric model E-series. The manual Roll N Locks will only stop in 3 places along the bed

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
is there a way to open it just a crack so an extension cord could pass by?
Yes, you can open it as little as you want and lock it in place. If you leave it cracked open, someone could easily pry it open further with a pry bar, but that would not be a simple task. I had a back flip and now have the Retrax XR. I think the Retrax is great and like being able to close it most of the way with lumber or other things in the back.

Sponsored

Cfribs

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
Construction
I have a Truck Cover USA, https://www.truckcoversusa.com/. It is great, I had the first one on my Ram for 5 years and now another one for 1.5 years on my f150. You can add a rack system. They are tough, I work in construction and open it at least 5 times a day and no problems. Many other guys at my company use them as well. You can use a key to open or open the tailgate and pull the release and it lock about every 1 foot. It only has some water dripping on the corners but not enough to get anything soaked. I will not buy any other brand.

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I have a Truck Cover USA, https://www.truckcoversusa.com/. It is great, I had the first one on my Ram for 5 years and now another one for 1.5 years on my f150. You can add a rack system. They are tough, I work in construction and open it at least 5 times a day and no problems. Many other guys at my company use them as well. You can use a key to open or open the tailgate and pull the release and it lock about every 1 foot. It only has some water dripping on the corners but not enough to get anything soaked. I will not buy any other brand.
thank you for the recommendation! Hadn’t heard of this one. I really like the features but it’s quite a bit more expensive than the other 2 at $2700.

Every 12 inches locking and keyless opening are two features that would be really nice.

Cfribs

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
Construction
Yes the cost is a downside but it will last for years. Good luck, I'll be interested to find out what you decide on. I would suggest Retrax several guys have it and it is much more solid that the roll-n-lock, IMO the Retrax is more tamper resistant and look better.

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
Yes the cost is a downside but it will last for years. Good luck, I'll be interested to find out what you decide on. I would suggest Retrax several guys have it and it is much more solid that the roll-n-lock, IMO the Retrax is more tamper resistant and look better.
the only reason I am hesitating on the retrax is the size of canister, but that one will probably what I land on as I can lock it with a 1 inch gap for power cords.
Sponsored