Sponsored

Replacing front driver handle lock with a rear!

Vick!

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Yes, my buddy's 2018 F150 was broken in through the driver-side door handle lock, and when he took it to the dealership to get it fixed, they recommended replacing it with a rear door handle, which worked great and eliminated the next DA thief. Should I be worried about someone doing this to my 2022 F150 XLT, or should I do the same as him? Has anyone else done this in 2022?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The 14th gen door handles were redesigned. Did Ford make them so they cannot be broken into like the last gen? Not sure, but probably still can be broken in from the driver's handle. You can swap out the front driver's handle with a non keyed one fairly easily. There are videos on how to pull the handle off the door in a couple minutes. Just need to order a passenger side handle with the right options on it and get it painted. Would recommend also installing a capped 12v connector to the battery that can be accessed from under the front fender. This way in the event the 12v battery dies you can connect a 12v power source to it and supply enough power so the door locks will function from the fob. There is a backup gel battery in the back of the cab but not sure if it will supply power to the door locks if the primary battery were to go dead on you.

OP
OP
Vick!

Vick!

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
The 14th gen door handles were redesigned. Did Ford make them so they cannot be broken into like the last gen? Not sure, but probably still can be broken in from the driver's handle. You can swap out the front driver's handle with a non keyed one fairly easily. There are videos on how to pull the handle off the door in a couple minutes. Just need to order a passenger side handle with the right options on it and get it painted. Would recommend also installing a capped 12v connector to the battery that can be accessed from under the front fender. This way in the event the 12v battery dies you can connect a 12v power source to it and supply enough power so the door locks will function from the fob. There is a backup gel battery in the back of the cab but not sure if it will supply power to the door locks if the primary battery were to go dead on you.
Thank you for the information. I was also told that we could jump the starter to give it enough juice for it to unlock the door.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
with f150 being the #3 most stolen vehicle right now, trailing behind silverado and honda

new jersey seems to be the worst, and of course colorado, new mex etc

i am re looking at a few hidden options to keep truck at location, unless thieves bring a tow truck.
Sponsored