Sponsored

Range Indicator Bleeding

BoilerUp95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Hey everyone,

I've had my 2021 Lariat Powerboost for about 2 months now, and I've filled the tank up twice. Both times I've filled up, the range indicator has behaved normally for about 2 days, and then the range estimate has started bleeding miles. For example, this morning when I left for work, my range indicator showed 536 miles until empty. When I got home, it showed 488 miles until empty. My round-trip commute is 12 miles, and I did about 3 of those in electric mode. When I got to work/got home and shut the truck off, the trip summary screen on the dash showed a realistic MPG of about 20. Leaving work today, 3 miles bled off the range indicator in the 1 minute that it took me to get out of the parking lot and onto the main road. It does behave more normally once I get up to speed in 9th and 10th gear, but it's still dropping unrealistically fast. I did not encounter this issue with the first tank of gas that the vehicle was filled up with when I picked it up from the dealer. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. The first time it happened, I thought it might just be a one-off, and it did revert to normal behavior after about 2 days of this bleeding issue, but I was disheartened to see it happening again.
Sponsored

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
That kinda sounds right. If you fill up and it shows say 600 miles and you drive in slow stop and go traffic it is going to drop the (available miles at current tank usage rate) accordingly. when you drive stop and go in electric the miles will stay high but as soon as the ICE kicks in the computer will begin to calculate based on the mileage on THIS TANK (which are so far only stop and go for this scenario). It constantly does this and updates the reading. If you fill up and hit the highway on a flat grade with a tail wind for 400 miles it may calculate 100 miles left at CURRENT USAGE but if you hook up a 13k lb trailer and haul it up Pikes Peak your not going to get that last 100 miles.
Make sense?

Darrell

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
When I filled up my tank on my Powerboost last time it only indicated an estimated 653 miles til empty instead of about 734 (30.6 gallon tank x 24mpg (hwy/city/combined).

I wonder if Ford installed a non Powerboost math chip due to the chip shortage. ? My trip gauge for the last tank used showed 23.4 mpg. I was always in normal mode, not tow mode or anything like that. Something doesn't add up :unsure:

Last edited:
OP
OP

BoilerUp95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
That kinda sounds right. If you fill up and it shows say 600 miles and you drive in slow stop and go traffic it is going to drop the (available miles at current tank usage rate) accordingly. when you drive stop and go in electric the miles will stay high but as soon as the ICE kicks in the computer will begin to calculate based on the mileage on THIS TANK (which are so far only stop and go for this scenario). It constantly does this and updates the reading. If you fill up and hit the highway on a flat grade with a tail wind for 400 miles it may calculate 100 miles left at CURRENT USAGE but if you hook up a 13k lb trailer and haul it up Pikes Peak your not going to get that last 100 miles.
Make sense?

Darrell
Totally makes sense, I just think it's kind of odd that the computer is recalculating every time I fill up and that the range estimate is changing so quickly. My 2016 with the 2.7 would make the same adjustments based off of whether or not I was towing, etc., but the behavior I'm seeing with this one is definitely different.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I’ve actually seen my range indicator go UP while I was driving.

Sponsored

catfishkid1986

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 Lariat, 2005 F150 XL, 2021 F150 PB Laria
Occupation
Material Handler
I’ve actually seen my range indicator go UP while I was driving.
I had the same thing happen after my first 2 tanks. This full up, in seeing the same thing as the OP. I'm wondering if it's due to the cold weather. It seems to drop fast, and the instant fuel economy display shows below 15mpg, eco mode, relatively flat and very slow acceleration. When cold at 55 and flat, I don't even see 20mpg in mine.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
DTE is one of the dumbest readings to pay attention to. All it is doing is looking at the last 50 miles or something like that. @Vulnox or @Pioneer74 know the formula and are probably tired of chiming in on these weekly new "my DTE isn't right" threads that pop up and explain the uselessness of that reading.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
DTE is one of the dumbest readings to pay attention to. All it is doing is looking at the last 50 miles or something like that. @Vulnox or @Pioneer74 know the formula and are probably tired of chiming in on these weekly new "my DTE isn't right" threads that pop up and explain the uselessness of that reading.
Ha, yeah. People just need to step back and think it through logically. The truck can't tell the future, so DTE is an estimate based on history. That history is constantly changing based on the actions you took in the past.

If you go from traffic light to traffic light flooring it, your DTE will drop like a rock. But if you then get on the freeway and drive a friendly 65 MPH, you will watch your DTE either increase, or stay at the same number for 20+ miles, and think your truck is broken. But the DTE is based on the average of your last 50 miles or so of instant MPG readings. It's a first in first out system, so as you replace the oldest data with your new 24 MPG @ 65 MPH data, the overall average changes.

If the average increases at the same rate you consume fuel, then the DTE will remain static. If the average increases at a greater rate, your DTE will increase as you drive, against every law of thermodynamics.

So just ignore it and base your refilling choices on the state of the fuel gauge.
Sponsored