Sponsored

Range fluctuating on same tank of gas

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
I’m still on the initial tank of gas from the dealer. But I’ve noticed the range would decrease and increase daily, by about 5 miles or so. Is this normal? So far we’ve only done street driving. I’ve never seen range goes up before.
Sponsored

Bob Violence

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A FX4 Powerboost
The distance-to-empty number will adjust in real-ish time automagically. I have personally filled my tank, then driven several miles, and seen the number increase.

Keep in mind those "several miles" were probably driven at just the right speed where my MPG was increasing. On the other side, if I filled up and drove like a bat outta hell, my DTE would most likely go down.

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
It has to do with your mpg. It takes an average over so long and uses that to calculate how far you should be able to go and as that changes with your driving so will the range.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Exactly; the computer extrapolates range from the present MPG.

So if you have been driving aggressively, it will assume that the whole tank will be at that MPG.

If you have been driving 10mph under the speed limit on the highway like there’s a brick under the accelerator pedal; it will adjust accordingly.

So be careful if you’re on a trip with flat ground and a long climb into high elevation toward the end of the fuel tank. You might not have as many miles between refilling as you thought! Same for heavy stop and go city traffic where you are idling for extended periods getting zero MPG.

Good luck with your truck truck and enjoy!

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Fun fact, it will show you the MPG number it is using to calculate your range…if you start the ignition while holding “OK” on the wheel, you’ll go into engineering test mode. Then there’s a screen like this in there that says something like “MPG for DTE calculation: XX mpg”

Anyways, normal for it to fluctuate as your miles to empty depends on how much fuel you use every mile

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
In my observation, the calcualted Miles to Empty goes up & down depending on hills, load, headwinds, etc. Once the MTE gets down to less than 200 miles, I find it stays pretty right on.

Bettermoa

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150, 21 Accord, 72 Monte
Occupation
Operating Engineer
That’s cause every test drive prior to you driving like it’s your and not the dealers, it’s average mpg before was very low since many test drives are not always driving miss daisy, while your driving is at times more civilized, hence your improving the overall average, as stated by many above, should be easy to get near or between 600-650 / tank down below 65 dte, if flat ground and easy driving over 700 can be had, yet takes the fun away

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
The majority of my driving is short trips, but recently went on a 300 mile-ish trip. I showed the same DTE for about 150 miles of the trip before it finally started dropping..
Sponsored