First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Network admin
Since I took delivery of this amazing platinum truck yesterday I haven’t had a chance to play around with everything but I did notice a strange issue with my power tailgate.

I was showing my neighbor the power tailgate and I go to hit the button on the tailgate and it doesn’t open just beeps 3x. Now I look Iike a fool with a brand new truck that isn’t working how I want it to. So then I gave up and went to dinner and came back to try the tailgate and it opens up fine. Then I close it and few hours try it again and it won’t open and beeps 3x. I looked in the manual but didn’t find anything related to it. I’m thinking it’s from it detecting some type of obstruction but there’s literally nothing around it. Anyone experience this at all?
Sponsored

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I don't know if this is the reason or not, but you can turn off the power tailgate, so if in your settings it's turned off the beeps might be letting you know that. Unless of course it was working before then I have no idea.

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
I don't know if this is the reason or not, but you can turn off the power tailgate, so if in your settings it's turned off the beeps might be letting you know that. Unless of course it was working before then I have no idea.
Yeah verified it’s set to power in the settings.
everytime I go up to the tailgate now I’m like will it open or not

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You could try cleaning the sensors on the tailgate. If I didn't read the entire post my bad, it was a late night and I'm just getting my coffee.

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
You could try cleaning the sensors on the tailgate. If I didn't read the entire post my bad, it was a late night and I'm just getting my coffee.
I’ll give that a shot. Are the sensors easily located? It’s not the bumper sensors right?

Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I would think the manual has something in it that describes why you’re getting the 3 beeps.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll give that a shot. Are the sensors easily located? It’s not the bumper sensors right?
They're the little disc type indents in the bumper. Might as well make sure the camera on the tailgate is clean too. Could be a safety catch for if you have a trailer hooked up, if it's not that then I don't know.

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Do you have a weight-distributing hitch ball in the receiver? Prev posts have mentioned some hitches will get sensed by the bumper sensor as a blockage.

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
Do you have a weight-distributing hitch ball in the receiver? Prev posts have mentioned some hitches will get sensed by the bumper sensor as a blockage.
nothing on the hitch. I can get it to open sometimes from the inside button, remote fob, or tailgate button. However when I do get it open it will never shut on its own or you know when you start to shut it that it takes over and does it for you but that never happens. Something seems wrong internal of the tailgate.

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
Agreed!!

I noticed from other videos no one beeps at all when they open? Mine beeps all the time lol. So frustrating

I really hate going to the dealer but I suspect this one is going to require it.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Do you have a tonneau cover? It may be putting too much pressure on the tailgate. It might be to be adjusted.

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
Do you have a tonneau cover? It may be putting too much pressure on the tailgate. It might be to be adjusted.
no cover. I picked the truck up yesterday brand new. She’s so clean right now I can eat off of it lol

the other issue is it will never auto close so a cover wouldn’t cause that. There’s something not engaging with trying to close. It’s like manual mode but the touchscreen says it’s in power mode.

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
So I see a warning on the instrument cluster when I try and shut the tailgate via the button it says switches inhibited by security mode?

OP
OP
Way2qk4u2c

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network admin
That warning on the dash lead me to the setting on the touchscreen. I turned the switch inhibit off and the tailgate seems to perform now. Very interesting.
Sponsored