Sponsored

Power Mirrors: Don't open when you turn the Lariat on?

SurJones

First Name
Sur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I love the Power Mirrors, but this sucks having to remember to hit the dang button right off the bat. lol
Sponsored

OP
OP

SurJones

First Name
Sur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Hmm - you know that sounds good - Well what about folding in on shutoff?

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer
From the owners manual:
"The exterior mirrors fold when you lock your vehicle and unfold when you unlock your vehicle."

Autofold can be disabled.

See page 140 of the manual.

farmeric

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
farming
Staying folded is good for me backing out of my garage.
Agree--over the past 10 years, I had to replace 2 mirrors for this reason--about $450-500 per time. First time I did it, PU didn't have power fold mirrors, 2nd time it did, I just didn't fold them in. Now I do every time!

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I think someone posted something out of the owner's manual on another thread stating that if you use the buttons to fold the mirrors in, say before you pull into your garage, then pull in and shut the truck off, when you restart the truck the mirrors will stay folded in until you use the buttons to un-fold them.

If you do not use the buttons to fold the mirrors in, and rather let the auto-fold feature fold them in then the auto-fold feature will unfold them automatically.

I've never had these auto-folding mirrors before, but since I ordered the huge trailer mirrors I am glad they will fold in and not just be hanging out in the breeze to be knocked off. I figure there will be some learning to adjust to how and when they fold/unfold once the truck is delivered.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

OP
OP

SurJones

First Name
Sur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
If you do not use the buttons to fold the mirrors in, and rather let the auto-fold feature fold them in then the auto-fold feature will unfold them automatically.
So are you saying that the mirror should fold and unfold Automatically?

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
FOLDING THE EXTERIOR MIRRORS - VEHICLES WITH: POWER FOLDING MIRRORS
The exterior mirrors fold when you lock your vehicle and unfold when you unlock your vehicle.
For tight parking conditions, press the control to fold the mirrors.
Press the control switch again to unfold the mirrors.
Note: Do not stop the mirrors midway through their movement. Wait until the mirrors stop moving and press the control again.
The left-hand and right-hand mirrors move at different rates. For example, one mirror may stop while the other one continues to move. This is normal.
If you press the control switch to fold in the mirrors with auto-fold on, the mirrors do not unfold when you unlock your vehicle.
Note: The power folding mirrors operate with the ignition on, and for several minutes after you switch the ignition off.
Note: If you fold and unfold the mirrors several times within one minute, the power fold function may turn off to protect the motors from overheating.
Switching Auto-fold On and Off
1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
2. Press Vehicle Settings.
3. Press Mirrors.
4. Switch Autofold on or off.
Loose Mirror
If your power-folding mirrors are manually folded, they may not work properly even after you re-position them. You need to reset them if:
• The mirrors vibrate when you drive.
• The mirrors feel loose.
• The mirrors do not stay in the folded or unfolded position.
• One of the mirrors is not in its normal driving position.
To reset the mirrors perform the following steps:
1. By hand, fold or retract both mirrors.
2. Using the power folding/power telescoping mirror control switch, operate the mirrors until you hear an audible click.
3. Operate the power folding or power telescoping mirrors an additional 3 to 4 times to synchronize the mirrors.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I think someone posted something out of the owner's manual on another thread stating that if you use the buttons to fold the mirrors in, say before you pull into your garage, then pull in and shut the truck off, when you restart the truck the mirrors will stay folded in until you use the buttons to un-fold them.

I've never had these auto-folding mirrors before, but since I ordered the huge trailer mirrors I am glad they will fold in and not just be hanging out in the breeze to be knocked off. I figure there will be some learning to adjust to how and when they fold/unfold once the truck is delivered.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Do we know if the Tow mirrors do the same thing?

Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
From the owners manual:
"The exterior mirrors fold when you lock your vehicle and unfold when you unlock your vehicle."

Autofold can be disabled.

See page 140 of the manual.
I wounder if My lariat has that, because it would be next level cool if it does. its a 501A under mirrors I see:
Sideview Power-Folding, Power Glass Mirrors with Heat,Turn Signal, Memory, Auto-Dimming Feature, High Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps and Body-Color Skull Caps

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/pages/tracker/?VIN=1FTFW1E50MKD36681

OP
OP

SurJones

First Name
Sur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
So I got them working on the Auto Portion. BUT based on what the Settings Says, it only closes when the truck is Locked. Haven't checked on a approach and unlock, or an Start to see if they Auto Unfold. - UPDATE: Even though the Settings says, LOCK, it does work on on unlock and unfolds. It's great!

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I definitely want to do it manually! I need them to fold when I enter my garage (by my choice) and not unfold until I back out (manually again).

We just did an entire 2 days of emptying our 3rd stall in the garage to get all 3 cars, thinking my wife can take the stall on the right here. I folded my mirror and parked as far left as I could, she parked as far right as possible using her 360 camera. Her driver door can't even open to the first stable position without hitting me!

So we have to put my daughter's ranger on the right and the wife continues to take the shallow stall which she complains about daily (not pictured). Anyway, you can see I will be folding in my tow mirrors (on my 2021 F150) just to squeak in and out of my garage so we don't start getting fines from our HOA.

Ford F-150 Power Mirrors: Don't open when you turn the Lariat on? 1608872747888
Sponsored