Powerboost Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hi-

I recently picked up a new 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost. 3rd F150 and 5th Ford and really loving the truck. Except….. after going through the car wash with 1,400 miles on the truck, it started to display an error: “Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power”. As a result, the truck won’t come back down onto the electric motor at low speeds and instead utilizes the gas motor the entire time.

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue on this truck, but I’ve seen little resolution discussed. The dealership has never seen this before and can’t find any guidance from Ford.

Anyone experienced this error or issueand been able to resolve it? Any insight or guidance is tremendously appreciated!
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi-

I recently picked up a new 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost. 3rd F150 and 5th Ford and really loving the truck. Except….. after going through the car wash with 1,400 miles on the truck, it started to display an error: “Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power”. As a result, the truck won’t come back down onto the electric motor at low speeds and instead utilizes the gas motor the entire time.

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue on this truck, but I’ve seen little resolution discussed. The dealership has never seen this before and can’t find any guidance from Ford.

Anyone experienced this error or issueand been able to resolve it? Any insight or guidance is tremendously appreciated!
Hello, Nick! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this Powertrain Malfunction concern. Thanks!

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hello, Nick! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this Powertrain Malfunction concern. Thanks!
Thank you! I am sending over my information now.

gonzf150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am sending you a private message as well. Same issue here with more interesting details.

Mauimaikai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 2.7 F-150 XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew
I have also had this issue but with a non powerboost 2.7. It happened two times this past winter, (about 2 weeks from each other) when I REALLY needed 4x4 in the snow. It happened when I was trying to use the "snow" mode, when this error showed up on both occasions, effectively disabling the 4 wheel drive. After shutting off the vehicle the error would go away but then come back on when using the "snow" mode. I turned off the vehicle and restarted it so the error was gone and instead just pushed the 4H button and it worked just fine. I took it in to the dealer the day after it happened the first time and they said they could not find anything wrong and no reports from the truck, my only evidence is in the app. So they did nothing and the problem fixed itself and hasn't occurred since and I've used my 4x4 many times since without issue. I wish I could have offered a fix but all I can share is my experience with this issue

Sponsored

ronaldfreemanjr

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Well. I guess I will join this club now. It started last week when I got a P0AA6 DTC; Hybrid/ EV Battery Pack A System Isolation Fault along with the powertrain malfunction/ reduced power message in fordpass. It came and went a few times. I called the dealer to get the truck in for service and was to drop it off this morning. To my luck, the truck would not start this morning; I received the "stop safely now" message and the shifter was locked. Now, I'm waiting on a tow truck.....ugh.....

ronaldfreemanjr

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, so after being towed to the dealer they state that the initial findings are that the hybrid batteries and hybrid battery monitor need to be replaced. However, they only have one technician certified to work on the hybrid systems. They wont be able to strip everything down and diagnose the problem until the 26th and 27th of this month. State the diagnosis is 2 full days of labor. :cautious:

gonzf150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Ok, so after being towed to the dealer they state that the initial findings are that the hybrid batteries and hybrid battery monitor need to be replaced. However, they only have one technician certified to work on the hybrid systems. They wont be able to strip everything down and diagnose the problem until the 26th and 27th of this month. State the diagnosis is 2 full days of labor. :cautious:
I would definitely engage @Ford Motor Company . they were very responsive and supportive. Followed up with me till my truck was fixed (Service had to replace auxiliary battery isolator module). Thanks Ford for the follow up!

TreyBilly85

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales
Hello All,

New to the forum, but was curious if there was any update @ronaldfreemanjr? I recently picked up my '22 Platinum PB and at about the 200 mile mark my dash lit-up like a Christmas Tree. I was sent nine alerts and faults. Powertrain control module fault, communication errors, Instrument cluster failure, ProPower ground fault, High voltage system fault, body control module lost connection, the list goes on. The dash instrument cluster and touch panel both blacked-out. The start-up video on the dash flashed and replayed numerous times.

My local dealer said to reset the breaker in the bed of the truck for the ProPower, which seemed to reset most of the errors, but they came back after a short drive. I had to take it to the local dealer, but they are experiencing staffing issues until next week.

Fingers crossed it is a simple loose fuse (which I just read after dropping it off.. shoot!) or easy module swap. Still really love the truck, just a bummer after waiting over 10 months for the delivery and then only driving it for a week...

ronaldfreemanjr

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hello All,

New to the forum, but was curious if there was any update @ronaldfreemanjr? I recently picked up my '22 Platinum PB and at about the 200 mile mark my dash lit-up like a Christmas Tree. I was sent nine alerts and faults. Powertrain control module fault, communication errors, Instrument cluster failure, ProPower ground fault, High voltage system fault, body control module lost connection, the list goes on. The dash instrument cluster and touch panel both blacked-out. The start-up video on the dash flashed and replayed numerous times.

My local dealer said to reset the breaker in the bed of the truck for the ProPower, which seemed to reset most of the errors, but they came back after a short drive. I had to take it to the local dealer, but they are experiencing staffing issues until next week.

Fingers crossed it is a simple loose fuse (which I just read after dropping it off.. shoot!) or easy module swap. Still really love the truck, just a bummer after waiting over 10 months for the delivery and then only driving it for a week...
My truck is still in the shop. Dealership claims they only have one tech certified for hybrids. They traced it down to what they believe is the high voltage battery module. They state the part is 3-4 days out.

Sponsored

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
Is this just a PB issue? I’m just wondering if any 21-22 non PB owners have any malfunctions similar to these. Thanks. 175 miles on my 22 PB 🤞😂

TreyBilly85

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
@Dave541 - So far what i have read is that it is a PB issue. The other trucks are having some 12v battery leaks, but those all sound temporary and remedied easily at the dealerships.

@ronaldfreemanjr, Thanks for the update!

That doesn't sound too bad as long as the part is available and accessible. The tech this morning told me that basically everything runs off of the Hybrid battery on the powerboost models, so if there is anything wrong with that the whole truck goes crazy.

Again, thanks for giving some piece of mind that I may have the truck back soon :)

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Hello All,

When you picked up your truck, did you check all the fuses, making sure all were seated properly? On my truck, nearly half needed to be pushed in further.

TreyBilly85

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
@ Atlee,

Unfortunately not. Having had to maintain my own vehicles in my younger years, I should have started there (Start with the cheap stuff first!). I was just so frustrated and bummed that I just called the dealer. It is there now, but it would be a beautiful thing if that was the issue. Thanks for the recommendation, hopefully that may help the next sap and save them some trouble.

msteppe91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
When you picked up your truck, did you check all the fuses, making sure all were seated properly? On my truck, nearly half needed to be pushed in further.
What a great suggestion! I am having the same issue as the author of this thread and am in the process of debugging this myself. I just checked my fuse box and, like you, half of mine weren't fully seated. Fingers crossed it was as simple as that to fix!

I'll try and remember to post back here if I no longer get the failure to start message so others can see this as a possible solution. Certainly won't hurt to seat those fuses more!
Sponsored