Sponsored

Powertrain malfunction/reduced power

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT 2.7, 2022 F150 Platinum
It is indeed both a starter and also an alternator. Here’s a printout from my dealer with the part number (it’s on a national backorder with no ETA from the supplier per a call with Ford CS this morning)

Ford F-150 Powertrain malfunction/reduced power Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 3.13.32 PM
Sponsored

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
The Powerboost does not have an alternator.
I can understand the term being used by someone that is not well versed in the Powerboost, but it's a bit worrisome if it's the technician using the terminology.
And I admit that Ford is very guilty of brutalizing the English language with their poor wordsmithing in their official documentation. 🙄😜

The traditional belt driven alternator is not present on the 3.5 Ecoboost engine in the Powerboost. Instead, there is a electronic converter that converts the ~300V Hybrid battery current to low voltage current for the 12V system.
You do not even have to start the truck to enable the "digital alternator". Accessory Mode enables it and so we KNOW the engine isn't even running, yet the necessary current is being provided.

20240131_133331.jpg

20 seconds later

20240131_133440.jpg
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this one. I was told alternator as well, but I appreciate the correction of the terminology and the info you shared. This is great and helps me understand a little more why it has an adverse impact on powertrain or reducing power. Honestly, I am more excited to know that this "alternator" will be replaced which will hopefully improve performance. Thanks @Snakebitten!

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is indeed both a starter and also an alternator. Here’s a printout from my dealer with the part number (it’s on a national backorder with no ETA from the supplier per a call with Ford CS this morning)

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 3.13.32 PM.png
Thanks for sharing the part number. This is very helpful.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for sharing the part number. This is very helpful.
No problem. The Ford CS rep was very nice and helpful on the phone and reached out to the dealership to assist them in marking the part “priority/emergency” and said that she would give me weekly updates.

We will see…..best of luck to you guys also having the same issue!

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No problem. The Ford CS rep was very nice and helpful on the phone and reached out to the dealership to assist them in marking the part “priority/emergency” and said that she would give me weekly updates.

We will see…..best of luck to you guys also having the same issue!
I was told February 19th availability and to expect delivery one week later. Best of luck to you as well.

Sponsored

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was told February 19th availability and to expect delivery one week later. Best of luck to you as well.
That is the first time I’ve heard a date at all - so thank YOU!

The dealer did drop off a 2023 Explorer XLT AWD with 12 miles on it in my driveway. Still has plastic on the rear seats lol. Nice and zippy but like all rentals, it makes you want your truck back!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 3.13.32 PM.png
I would love to see definitive evidence that on the Powerboost it is used for anything beyond a BIS, if you know what I mean.

In the traditional use of a BISG, it IS the alternator on the vehicle.
On the Powerboost, it most certainly is not. So if it is ever used as a source for current, rather than a consumer of current, I can't figure out what circumstance it would be.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would love to see definitive evidence that on the Powerboost it is used for anything beyond a BIS, if you know what I mean.

In the traditional use of a BISG, it IS the alternator on the vehicle.
On the Powerboost, it most certainly is not. So if it is ever used as a source for current, rather than a consumer of current, I can't figure out what circumstance it would be.

I see where you are going with this and I agree….how is this providing any substantial power for the EV side of things when you have regen and the electric motor itself in the trans...

Maybe it functions like an alternator for the 12V system? Also, this infographic talks about it running the water pump as well. Must serve as “redundancy” for another system somehow if it didn’t leave me stranded.

Ford F-150 Powertrain malfunction/reduced power f-150-powerboost-diagram-2092210195

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That's exactly what I mean by Ford butchering the English Language

Ford F-150 Powertrain malfunction/reduced power 1000020514

The 3.5 Ecoboost in the Powerboost only has 2 components with a belt. And each component has its own belt connected to the crankshaft pully.

1 is the water pump (#4 in image)
The other is the Belt starter motor (BISG) to start the ICE. (#3)
(The traditional bendix/flywheel starter is only for coldstart/remote start)
The extraordinary idler mechanism for the belt on the BISG is necessary for the belt to transfer the necessary torque to the crankshaft to spool the ICE up.

Ford F-150 Powertrain malfunction/reduced power Screenshot_20231126_180455_OneDrive

Sponsored

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20222 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Electrician
Sn
I meant no disparagment of you or anyone who posted here. I assure you.
And I really would like to know what component(s) are being ordered and replaced.

The BISG (Ford's acronym for the "Belt Integrated Starter Generator) has been being mentioned in various threads as being replaced on folks trucks.
I personally believe that the warning Stop Safely Now, or Power Train Malfunction, are both generic in the sense that multiple things can trigger those alerts. Neither the remedy or the cause will always be the same.
Snke your awesome! Love passing this knowledge around.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I looked up the part number ML3Z-11A213-B at fordpartsonsale.com
Of note this part with final letter B according to their website is for the powerboost truck and replaces the same part with final letter A.
I wonder if this change from part ending in A to part ending in B signifies a change to design?
This isn’t the Ford direct site which says they are back ordered but according to this site they have them in stock. Not sure if that helps you.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked up the part number ML3Z-11A213-B at fordpartsonsale.com
Of note this part with final letter B according to their website is for the powerboost truck and replaces the same part with final letter A.
I wonder if this change from part ending in A to part ending in B signifies a change to design?
This isn’t the Ford direct site which says they are back ordered but according to this site they have them in stock. Not sure if that helps you.
Thanks…if I could buy it and put it myself I would! Dealer told me I am looking at late March to get my truck back. 5 other PB trucks came into my dealer for this exact issue after I dropped mine off according to my service advisor.
Sponsored