Sponsored

Options for max payload in a PowerBoost 4x4 truck with 6.5' bed, 7.2kW PP, 360 cameras, adaptive cruise, tow tech pkg??

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Eventually) an F-150 PowerBoost
I've been reading a lot about the payload ratings for the PowerBoost (tech specs pdf, forum posts), and the number I see for a 4x4 with a 6.5' bed, at least at base trim, is 1,810 pounds. I'd like to have a few options on any such base truck, as quality of life improvements to drag a travel trailer around.

- 7.2kw Pro Power Onboard
- 360-degree cameras, with optional external camera mounted on trailer.
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Tow Technology Package

Could I still maintain a payload rating of 1,810 pounds with that? If not, what would likely be my actual payload with those options?

I wish Ford had an interactive payload and towing calculator on the build and price site that gave a live view as you added/removed/changed options.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can search this thread and see if you can find something close. These are real payload #s (per the stickers).

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2021-f-150-payload-stickers.595/
Yeah, I found that thread and looked at it already, but it's not easy to decode and read 10 pages of unorganized mess, including random useless conversation. It would be nice if the site has something like a user-editable wiki post in the beginning where we could make up a nice organized summary list.

The lowest I found in there so far was a payload rating of 1,328 pounds, but of course I have no way to know if it would line up with the exact options I want and don't want.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
it's not easy to decode and read 10 pages of unorganized mess, including random useless conversation.
Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of threads like that. Make some popcorn, get comfortable, and enjoy our mess. Sounds like you've nominated yourself for forum archivist. :)

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I have a 157” fx4 Lariat 502a with all of the options you listed plus moonroof and I think mine is only 890. Currently out of town and will confirm when I get home. I know it was under a 1,000 when I checked it to see if I could go pickup a pallet of wood flooring.

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of threads like that. Make some popcorn, get comfortable, and enjoy our mess. Sounds like you've nominated yourself for forum archivist. :)
If it were possible to organize the relevant data in a thread like that, I would gladly kick in some time to do so. The problem is that even if I did, the post would be buried, as opposed to being put at the top of the relevant thread in an editable wiki-like format.

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a 157” fx4 Lariat 502a with all of the options you listed plus moonroof and I think mine is only 890. Currently out of town and will confirm when I get home. I know it was under a 1,000 when I checked it to see if I could go pickup a pallet of wood flooring.
890?!

That's an embarrassingly low and insulting payload rating. Ford really need to up their game so to speak.

Hell, a full load of just people - never mind any gear or towing - could max that out.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
C&A
Yea, I was expecting to something in the 1200-1400 on range, I was blown away.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Mine came in at 1,366 lbs. and I was hoping for something above 1,400. Unfortunately there's only so much a loaded half ton can carry.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yea, I was expecting to something in the 1200-1400 on range, I was blown away.
I didn't think that was possible?? You should have a 7350# GVWR and a curb weight around 6k. Even with factory liner and factory tonneau, the lowest I think I've ever seen (fully loaded) was around 1200#. I wonder if you're yellow sticker has a typo!!

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
C&A
It will be Friday before I can grab a picture.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
I have the PB with the 6.5 bed and the 7.2 KW. My sticker is at 1576 pounds

GagnonM

First Name
MarieChristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2014
Occupation
Senior Project Manager
Yves,
Which trim do you have? I have ordered an XLT in order to get 1630lbs.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've been reading a lot about the payload ratings for the PowerBoost (tech specs pdf, forum posts), and the number I see for a 4x4 with a 6.5' bed, at least at base trim, is 1,810 pounds. I'd like to have a few options on any such base truck, as quality of life improvements to drag a travel trailer around.

- 7.2kw Pro Power Onboard
- 360-degree cameras, with optional external camera mounted on trailer.
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Tow Technology Package

Could I still maintain a payload rating of 1,810 pounds with that? If not, what would likely be my actual payload with those options?

I wish Ford had an interactive payload and towing calculator on the build and price site that gave a live view as you added/removed/changed options.
I think that if you get the minimum trim XLT that allows the maximum tech for 360 cameras and copilot assist 2.0 (to get the adaptive cruise), you may be able to approach 1600#. You will need to get standard tailgate (no work surface, no step), no FX4, no moonroof, no spray liner and no tonneau. Of course adding liner and tonneau afterward won't update your payload as you have to keep track of that yourself.

The debatable ones are FX4 and Max Tow. With FX4 the weight added are mainly the mats and skid plates. However, if you are adding mats anyway (weathertech or husky) that is half the FX4 adder anyway (other being skid plates). For Max Tow the beefier axle and stabalizer and below sprung weight, so it is debatable whether it truly hurts your capability by 20# (or whatever the number was), or is just an artifact of the way the yellow sticker is calculated (full GVWR minus factory curb weight off the line).

There are PB lariat 4x4's with >1500 payloads out there, and I think if you can get XLT it is a little lighter (less tech, cloth weighs less than leather).
Sponsored