First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys… I will be installing my amps/zen/speaker upgrades in the next week or two, and I was just wondering how you guys mounted the new tweeters in the stock locations? Crutchfield suggested hot glue or silicone, but I thought maybe there was a cleaner/better way to do it in these pillars. Thanks for any help. I have the JL C2 component set going in, fyi. Also, I have the 8 speaker B&O
Sponsored

sippy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 platinum
If you use a 1" 28 mm tweeter it will be an exact fit in stock a-pillar. Plus in a two way system a bigger tweter will pay dividends.

JL C2 tweeter= .75 "
JL C3 tweeter= 1.0"

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
… but I don’t have a 1” tweeter…. Lol

Any suggestions for what I have?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
mutilate the factory tweeter
🤔 what are you saying? Are you saying the cover/grill of the stock tweeter comes off with the tweeter, and you have to chop it up to use that factory tweeter grill?

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's factory F150...

Ford F-150 Tweeter mounting? 1680143810039

W/ 1" tweeter installed in place of grill
Ford F-150 Tweeter mounting? 1680143845619

Grille and tweeter are 2 separate but nesting parts. You'll have to remove the tweeter from its mounting assembly.

Tweeter is in a mounting bracket that holds in the grille. You will need to remove the factory tweeter from its mount and modify that mount to hold your replacement
Ford F-150 Tweeter mounting? 1680144031389

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
Ok. So the factory tweeter will come out of the grill, but you need to mutilate the factory grill/mount to make the .75” tweeter inside it? So I’ll still see the factory grill, but my .75” c2 tweeters will be mounted behind the factory grill… right

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
I know you’re probably getting frustrated with me not catching on, but I don’t see where it says how the modifications were done… just that he did it. I’ll try to explain my question better, I think I suck at wording things sometimes.

When I remove the pillar, I think I saw that there are a couple screws that hold the tweeter in the pillar. When I remove the screws, does the grill stay in the pillar when I remove the tweeter, or does it come out with the tweeter… leaving an open hole in the pillar? If the grill stays in the pillar, do I just find a way to secure the JL tweeter into the pillar, behind the factory grill? Like you literally just set the tweeter against the back of the remaining grill, and hot glue the tweeter sides to the pillar? Maybe I’ve seen videos of a different tweeter setup, and this one doesn’t just screw out, like the ones I’ve seen 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
Ok.... I took the pillar off and looked... and now I understand exactly what you're saying. I guess I should've looked at it before I asked. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I half want to upgrade to the c3 tweeter, because the install is so clean looking, but I plan on using the C2 mid-woofer and the C2 X-overs. I don't know how well the C2 X-over will work with the C3 tweets... would it limit the power I can run to the tweets, and will the X-over be at the wrong frequency for a larger tweeter, defeating the purpose of having the larger tweeter. hmmmmm

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok.... I took the pillar off and looked... and now I understand exactly what you're saying. I guess I should've looked at it before I asked. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I half want to upgrade to the c3 tweeter, because the install is so clean looking, but I plan on using the C2 mid-woofer and the C2 X-overs. I don't know how well the C2 X-over will work with the C3 tweets... would it limit the power I can run to the tweets, and will the X-over be at the wrong frequency for a larger tweeter, defeating the purpose of having the larger tweeter. hmmmmm
Since I'm using a DSP amp, I bought the C3s which come w/ tweeter protectors and can tie right in w/ a door coaxial. I then found a 6x9 woofer and put it in it. The C3s are bright enough that connected on the same channel as the woofer, highs can be pulled out w/ the DSP. The C3s w/ their 3500hz crossover protector are $199 for the pair. If you're not going to use a DSP, I suggest them on their own channel so you can control gain.

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
So, I finally got around to getting my system installed last Saturday, and I have the results for the tweeter fab. It ended up being much easier than shown in previous responses. Once you remove the pillar and take the tweeter/mount out, you can simply pull out in 3 tabs that secure the tweeter into the mount, and the stock tweeter will come out of the mount. At that point, you can decide if you want to put the bare tweeter in the mount like the stock one was, and fill up the looseness with glue/silicone, or what I did, was slide the mounting cup into the tweeter mount and run a bead of glue along the back to hold the tweeter in the mount. It was honestly very simple, and once you have it in your hand, it’ll make perfect sense. I’ll slap a couple pics up, but any questions, feel free to ask away.

This was with JL audio C2 component tweeters

Ford F-150 Tweeter mounting? CFFBE366-DEE2-4BB8-A86C-0D1BAB8EEDA4

Ford F-150 Tweeter mounting? 0BEEAACB-C64A-4557-BF15-D501CF9A42B3

Ford F-150 Tweeter mounting? AA8B4581-E16C-4816-BCAC-B9406898A9B8
Sponsored