Sponsored

Mirror power connector no longer working

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
So I’ve been running a Dongar Tech adapter for a dash cam in my truck for awhile.
One day my camera failed to start up when I started the truck up. The camera still works on USB power on other ports in the truck but it won’t run when connected up to the mirror with the adapter.

Ordered a new adapter and the issue is the same. Have tried multiple power cables as well. Camera fails to start up when connected to the mirror adapter.

Is it possible for the actual power cable for the mirror itself to go bad? It’s the only other thing I can think of. Tried to search past threads but came up empty.
Anyone else encounter this issue?
Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Does your mirror still auto dim?

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No idea lol, I’m not even sure how to test that function.
Start your truck and make sure your headlights are on (just turn them manually to on), cover the little sensor on the front of your mirror toward the windshield with your finger (it's a little square indentation toward the driver's side), once you have that covered, shine a light into the mirror (as if bright lights are coming up behind you). Sounds complicated but really takes about 20 seconds to check.

If you mirror doesn't dim, check fuse F36 in the interior fuse panel (passenger kick panel) and it is a 15 Amp fuse.

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Start your truck and make sure your headlights are on (just turn them manually to on), cover the little sensor on the front of your mirror toward the windshield with your finger (it's a little square indentation toward the driver's side), once you have that covered, shine a light into the mirror (as if bright lights are coming up behind you). Sounds complicated but really takes about 20 seconds to check.

If you mirror doesn't dim, check fuse F36 in the interior fuse panel (passenger kick panel) and it is a 15 Amp fuse.
I confirmed that the mirror isn’t dimming like it should. Kind of weird because the other functions that are on fuse 36 are all still working. Is it possible to have an issue with just one component like that in the case of a bad fuse?

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I confirmed that the mirror isn’t dimming like it should. Kind of weird because the other functions that are on fuse 36 are all still working. Is it possible to have an issue with just one component like that in the case of a bad fuse?
No, it should effect everything else on that circuit. Your rear heated seats work?

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
No, it should effect everything else on that circuit. Your rear heated seats work?
Yes they do. But the auto dimming function on the mirror definitely doesn’t work.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes they do. But the auto dimming function on the mirror definitely doesn’t work.
Ugh. When you tried the mirror do you still have the adapter plugged in? If so, try it without the adapter at all. If it wasn't connected to start with and the mirror didn't work, I would look at all those pins and make sure one isn't recessed or bent inside the connector.

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Ugh. When you tried the mirror do you still have the adapter plugged in? If so, try it without the adapter at all. If it wasn't connected to start with and the mirror didn't work, I would look at all those pins and make sure one isn't recessed or bent inside the connector.
No adapter plugged in currently. Going to test again when I get home shortly.

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Kind of a false alarm. The auto dimming function IS working as it should. I didn’t have a bright enough light to get it to trigger properly. Thinking that it’s the camera that has gone bad. Going to test shortly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
So I got it fixed. Turns out it was the old adapter that went bad. And there was a pin on the new one that was misaligned and the plug wasn’t seated correctly as a result. All working as it should now. Thanks for the help!

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew

Good tip. Works!
Sponsored