Looking for advice on seat modification for lower back pain

chumpygrumps

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering Antimatter Blue F150 XLT, PB, FX4
Hello all - I know most people find the F-150 seats somewhere between comfortable and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, I'm in the small set of people where the exact shape of the seat causes me lower back pain (2022 XLT 302A, PB, FX4). I had a similar issue with a Toyota Tacoma a number of years ago. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has themselves or through a vehicle upholstery company to improve the seat comfort.

To give more detail on my issue, there are a couple areas:
  • First, the bolsters on the bottom cushion are so high and firm that they press against my hips, activating my sciatica. I took the cushion cover off and trimmed down the bolstering near the rear of the seat and that issue is resolved.
  • Second, the angle of the seat cushions where the bottom cushion means the back creates a cavity that I believe causes my hips to tilt too much, which compresses nerves, overextends muscles, etc. I can hold a position that I can tell is "better", but holding it against gravity causes my back muscles to get sore, after only 15 minutes in the seat. I have tried adjusting the lumbar support - but it is too high to be useful for this specific issue (8-way adjustable seats, so I cannot move up/down). I have looked at my other vehicles that are comfortable for me, and in those the back of the seat cushion raises higher, and in the F-150 it is slopes down, and I believe this to be related to the root of my issue.
I have seen on other forums that people have experienced this since the MY 15 onwards, even in some cases before, and all those threads are 90% "but the seats are comfortable for me!" and not a lot of solutions. Does anyone have experience with this in the 2021/2022 MY F-150? I'm iterating through different cushions to help, but looking for any concrete experience solving this kind of problem for anyone.
Sponsored

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
I would suggest before making major changes to get some other cushions or lumbar support pads to try different things. I would hate to do something expensive then figure out I made my problem worse

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Hello all - I know most people find the F-150 seats somewhere between comfortable and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, I'm in the small set of people where the exact shape of the seat causes me lower back pain (2022 XLT 302A, PB, FX4). I had a similar issue with a Toyota Tacoma a number of years ago. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has themselves or through a vehicle upholstery company to improve the seat comfort.

To give more detail on my issue, there are a couple areas:
  • First, the bolsters on the bottom cushion are so high and firm that they press against my hips, activating my sciatica. I took the cushion cover off and trimmed down the bolstering near the rear of the seat and that issue is resolved.
  • Second, the angle of the seat cushions where the bottom cushion means the back creates a cavity that I believe causes my hips to tilt too much, which compresses nerves, overextends muscles, etc. I can hold a position that I can tell is "better", but holding it against gravity causes my back muscles to get sore, after only 15 minutes in the seat. I have tried adjusting the lumbar support - but it is too high to be useful for this specific issue (8-way adjustable seats, so I cannot move up/down). I have looked at my other vehicles that are comfortable for me, and in those the back of the seat cushion raises higher, and in the F-150 it is slopes down, and I believe this to be related to the root of my issue.
I have seen on other forums that people have experienced this since the MY 15 onwards, even in some cases before, and all those threads are 90% "but the seats are comfortable for me!" and not a lot of solutions. Does anyone have experience with this in the 2021/2022 MY F-150? I'm iterating through different cushions to help, but looking for any concrete experience solving this kind of problem for anyone.
Iam having the same problem with my 23 platinum. Never had this problem with any of my other ford trucks. Not sure what Iam going to do to fix this.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
One thing you can do it fiddle with the lumbar support. If that gives me too much "lumbar" my back hurts over time. I usually move it all the way back making the seat back more "flatter". This helps me tremendously.

Sponsored

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Yeah Iam thinking of do that for know. Till maybe I can figure something else out. Thinking of going to upholstery place and see what they suggest.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Yeah I’ve been messing with it every which way. And nothing.
Bummer.

Memory Foam like they use for mattresses and mattress toppers might be nice. You could get a 2 inch memory foam topper and cut it up until you find something that helps, hopefully anyway. If you give this a try look for the better ones that are all memory foam. Some of the cheap ones give a small layer of memory foam and then the rest some cheap foam. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
My wife uses a seat cushion for her sciatica while driving. I know they also make a complementary one for the back as well. She did have to buy several and return all but the one that worked for her. Not all of these seat cushions are made the same for everyone.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Yeah, I’ll probably use a seat cushion for now if it works and then talk to somebody in an upholstery place and see about maybe changing the seat cushions or seeing if I can get the ones from my 2017 that I had work in the 23 shouldn’t have to do that with brand new truck but I highly doubt Ford will work with you or do anything unless I can get the cushions out, maybe an XLT or something else for a raptor see if they are any better
Sponsored