First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
The temperature here in Texas has started to climb (80* today). I'm wondering if it's a good (or bad) idea to remove the active shutter system in front of the LTR? I imagine the same question applies to either a supercharger or turbo setup.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
During the summer the shutters never close on mine. So not much point in disabling them. Even when it was 18 degrees last winter I only saw them partially close up. Makes me wonder what it really takes to get them to close up completely.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I don't see need to remove them. I believe the threads where that was done it was to make room for lights.

OP
OP
TexasTruck

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Thanks guys… that makes sense… I was thinking it might help keep intake air temps as cool as possible. Then again the tuning probably considers all that in the fuel mapping. Thanks again!

Sponsored

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
The temperature here in Texas has started to climb (80* today). I'm wondering if it's a good (or bad) idea to remove the active shutter system in front of the LTR? I imagine the same question applies to either a supercharger or turbo setup.

Thoughts?
Roush instructions say to remove the shutter blades.

Ford F-150 Keep or remove the active shutters? IMG_3314

OP
OP
TexasTruck

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Roush instructions say to remove the shutter blades.
Interesting…. Thanks, I can understand their purpose but I would think boosted applications need all the air flow they can get. I did check in with Whipple but no response….. I’ve watched my IAT (unsure how accurate it is or where the value comes from) fluctuate quite a bit. The difference between actual air temperature and IAT is usually around 15 to 20 degrees. I've seen it as high as 35 degrees difference at slower speeds. When I check the shutters at those times they look like they’re 50% open. I bet those times when the difference is less the shutters are open…..

🙂 what AI says about active shutters…
The Ford F150's active grille shutters, also known as active shutters, automatically open and close to improve fuel efficiency and aerodynamics. The shutters are located in front of the radiator in the front grille and redirect air away from the engine compartment at high speeds. This helps the engine warm up faster, which is important because engines run best when they reach a certain temperature. The shutters also help with aerodynamics by redirecting air around the vehicle.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
On my sons 2017 F150 you can watch transmission temperatures lower by turning on the AC. Turning on the AC opens the shutters some amount.
I have never noticed any benefit in having the shutters. I don’t live in a cold climate either so i don’t have any issues with the engine getting up to temp.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
It's all about radiator and nothing to do with air intake. There are some aftermarket options on that but they all follow the same path Ford designed for getting the air in. I do think some of them look cool, but only when hood is open so haven't opened up my wallet for something I'll rarely see.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
It's all about radiator and nothing to do with air intake. There are some aftermarket options on that but they all follow the same path Ford designed for getting the air in. I do think some of them look cool, but only when hood is open so haven't opened up my wallet for something I'll rarely see.
Intercooler?
Sponsored