First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Can anyone tell me how to get this off? I normally have chrome wheel and I can polish stuff like this out. I've tried scrubbing it off with a soft cloth but no luck. I'm scared polish would leave a shiny spot on the wheel.

I have no idea what left the mark.
Ford F-150 Help removing spot on rim PXL_20220610_141121960
Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
If it's not a scratch try a clay bar
What a great idea! I will try that thanks!

And it doesn't look like a scratch. It is either something on the surface or a discoloration. Hopefully not the latter

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
If its just debris or some sort of substance like he said clay bar or WD-40. Can you feel the spot to see if it is on the surface or actually a scratch below the the surface?. Your wheel is a painted wheel wit a clear type powder coating to protect the paint

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Clay bar didn't work. You can feel it being raised up. I think it's a discoloration ☹

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
So after staring at this for way too long, I think what it is is a scuff on the satin clearcoat.

I have no idea how to repair it. Getting it "wet" and it goes away. It's on the passenger side for now so I may just try and forget it. my first painted wheels and I'm seeing now how Chrome is probably easier to take care of...LOL

I'm wondering if some kind of "wax" will lessen the appearance. I don't think it's worth taking to a wheel repair place to get it repaired at this point.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
So after staring at this for way too long, I think what it is is a scuff on the satin clearcoat.

I have no idea how to repair it. Getting it "wet" and it goes away. It's on the passenger side for now so I may just try and forget it. my first painted wheels and I'm seeing now how Chrome is probably easier to take care of...LOL

I'm wondering if some kind of "wax" will lessen the appearance. I don't think it's worth taking to a wheel repair place to get it repaired at this point.
Even the chrome wheels nowadays have a clearcoat powder coating on them. If you can get come clearcoat touchup paint in a tube and put just a dab or two on it ,it will be less visable

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Even the chrome wheels nowadays have a clearcoat powder coating on them. If you can get come clearcoat touchup paint in a tube and put just a dab or two on it ,it will be less visable
Good idea I'll see if I can find some satin clear coat touchup.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Mine had grease pencil marks on the wheel, I think they’re still there but I usually try WD-40, PB Blaster or vodka on a rag/shop towel if spit and my thumb doesn’t work. The last thing that I will try is any kind of polishing compound but that’s what I wound up doing with my chrome bumper, as there was some kind of baked on grime near the fog lights.

I remember when I had fancy painted wheels and Simple Green was what everyone used for normal cleaning.

If you have a real digital camera, try using Macro mode for a good closeup, it’s almost as good as a low powered microscope on some cameras. I’ve even used that feature for removing tiny cactus spines that I can’t see.

My mother swears by the clear Krylon, since that’s what they used on stuff at the museum she worked at. Just test on an inconspicuous area first!

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I'll try the WD40, PB, etc. I'm concerned about polishing compound because the rims are satin and if I polish it out, you will see a change in sheen which I think will look worse.

I do have a digital camera so I'll give that a try too. Thanks for the suggestions :)
Sponsored