First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I was at my dealer the other day and one of the technicians and I talked about the current shortages. He told me right now if one dealer has a vehicle another dealer wants they will have to buy it and at a price higher than sticker. He said this higher price is passed on to the customers. So if you know someone wanting to buy now tell them they may want to wait.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I was at my dealer the other day and one of the technicians and I talked about the current shortages. He told me right now if one dealer has a vehicle another dealer wants they will have to buy it and at a price higher than sticker. He said this higher price is passed on to the customers. So if you know someone wanting to buy now tell them they may want to wait.

Good insider intelligence, thank you.

I'd say this is common place though, especially if the dealers don't "play nice" with each other.

Back when my wife and I were buying a new vehicle in 2016, I wanted a very specific combination of the color and option packages. From what my dealer said "there were only two vehicles in the entire state of Florida" matching what I wanted. Both were at different dealers, one in Punta Gorda, one in the Miami area. They could have been saying that just to make it seem rarer and push the sale for all I know. However, the dealer we purchased the from said they would only make efforts to get the one from Punta Gorda because they didn't get along with the Miami dealer. So even though this tactic is probably more prominent now in this market, dealers were doing these shadow games even back in 2016!

Don't even get me started on how they DROVE the vehicle we were purchasing from Punta Gorda to my dealer rather than shipping it!

Last edited: