First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Yeah I’ve done a ton of research on this. Was having a hard time verifying if the 2.7 payload package adds a heavy duty frame or changes the leaf spring set up. Just wanted to see ur thoughts.
I’ve been wondering the same thing, but I don’t need to tow over 7700 so I didn’t look too much into it. All I can see is that it comes with the 3.73 rear axle.
Sponsored

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
I’ve been wondering the same thing, but I don’t need to tow over 7700 so I didn’t look too much into it. All I can see is that it comes with the 3.73 rear axle.
I wanted the 3.73 ELA so I got the payload package because it just added an extra 220 bucks roughly. Not sure what it goes to but figured it was worth it.

TXAGENT

First Name
Law
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 5.0 FX4 Screw
Occupation
Bullshit Detector
order timeframe:
Ordered 10/30/2020, arrived to dealer on 1/28/202 so about 3 months total and the dealer had me at priority 11 on retail order. It took 2 weeks from build date to arrival at dealer (Dearborn to NC).

Pricing:
I had A-plan price, so truck was 61.5k MSRP, A-plan was 55K, and had $2000 in rebates bringing it down to 53k ($1000 ford credit, $500 incentive, $500 military). Final OTD price was 55.7K with tax title fees everything (no trade-in, I sold my car private party for cash a week prior).

Initial impressions:
1. the red/brown lariat sport interior trim is much darker in person than in photos and online, initially I didn’t want it but now it has grown on me.
2. this is my first truck and it rides much smoother than I thought.
3. The 360 camera is extremely helpful when parking, I originally ordered a 2020 and decided not to get it, but since I switched to a 2021 and have it, I would have been disappointed without it.
4. This truck is SMART! Everything is so automated and intuitive, I’ve never driven anything this techy before.

what’s next:
1. Line-X
2. Ceramic window tint
3. Powder coat 18” sport wheels black
3. Wheel well liners, floor mats
4. Hard Bed cover
5. Extended warranty

regrets:
I got the tow tech package instead of trailer tow package to get the 360 camera included and save some money. Had I known this would max me out at 6,000lbs towing I wouldn’t have done it, I was hoping for the published 7700lbs towing. It will work for now but I am considering upgrading the front stabilizer bar in the future if I start towing near my limit. the payload is still pretty good at 1417 lbs shown in the door jam.

Questions:
1. Maybe I’m not doing it right, but I cannot for the life of me get the box link cleats in. I followed the directions and managed to get 1 of the 4 installed, but no matter how hard I pull up and wiggle it I cannot get any of the other in. Does anyone have experience with these getting stuck?

2A47612D-8633-4375-B10D-9D8E0B2EEFCB.jpeg
Did you ever get the box link cleats installed?

I tried all 4, no luck. I’m not sure where the binding is taking place, but suspect the plastic channel.

Ritchie457

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
yea I made sure to get the 18” wheels instead of paying extra for the 20”, so that was a win win. I love the 2.7 so far, it can tow anything I would need to, costs less up front, and get better gas mileage which is key for me since I’m using this as my daily driver and it will be the primary vehicle for long road trips with the family.

the more I read about how the 2.7 was designed and engineered, and how it seems to have fewer problems with than the 3.5 the more I’m convinced I made the right choice. I’m more confident I can get over 250,000 miles in the 2.7.

in my opinion, if you do heavy towing you’ll want the 3.5, but if you plan to do light towing like myself, then the 2.7 will get you better reliability and gas mileage. A good compromise between the two would be the 2.7 with the HDPP.
This is exactly the same reason that I chose the 2.7. My Lariat will replace a 20 year old Tacoma AND a 2003 BMW. I can haul small stuff and be comfortable on long family trips. I think I've made the correct choice.

OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Did you ever get the box link cleats installed?

I tried all 4, no luck. I’m not sure where the binding is taking place, but suspect the plastic channel.
Yes finally! The trick was you have to hold it angled inwards towards the center of the bed, while still wiggling it up into the bracket. Kind of like pushing down and pulling up at the same time. That still wasn’t enough on one of them and I used sand paper to open it up just a little bit. Was way tougher than I anticipated.

Sponsored

TXAGENT

First Name
Law
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 5.0 FX4 Screw
Occupation
Bullshit Detector
Yes finally! The trick was you have to hold it angled inwards towards the center of the bed, while still wiggling it up into the bracket. Kind of like pushing down and pulling up at the same time. That still wasn’t enough on one of them and I used sand paper to open it up just a little bit. Was way tougher than I anticipated.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that method.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I wanted the 3.73 ELA so I got the payload package because it just added an extra 220 bucks roughly. Not sure what it goes to but figured it was worth it.
I wanted the 3.73 ELA, too. That’s why I have the FX4.
Sponsored