Drive Line Vibration @ 75MPH+

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 501A
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
So i have 2022 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and i have a slight but constant vibration at or above 75MPH. I know the first thing people will say is tires. Well that's another story too...i' put BFG KO2 on at 2,000 miles and i drove on them for about 15,000 miles before i decided to start looking into possible issue with tires vibrating. I found out that one of the BFG tires road force balanced marginal. BFG would not do anything so i sold them to a co worker who was aware of the issue with the one tire and i bought a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W. The vibration was still there but worse...long story short ended up going through 7 Falken tires before we got 4 to pass a road force balance but there was still a slight vibration. Ended up returning the Falken tires while i could still get my money back and put a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT G015's on today. Things are better but there is still a slight vibration enough to make a car seat in the back rattle at times. Tire shop is saying that the Yokohamas all balanced out good with the highest having 15lbs of road force and the lowest being 10lbs of road force. Tire shop is telling me to go see Ford about potential driveline issue causing vibration. I haven't research road force balancing enough yet to be able to interpret the lbs of force to whether or not the tires are good and properly balanced. I've spent a bunch of time and quite a bit of money over the past few weeks trying to get the vibration gone thinking it is the tires but i'm beginning to believe it may be something in the driveline. I feel like Ford is going to blame aftermarket tires and the tire shop is going to blame Ford and i'll just be stuck in the middle running back and forth. Anyone else experience a similar situation or can shed some light on the road force numbers that they provided me? Thanks in advance!

Forgot to mention it seems to smooth out a little bit when letting off the gas and then vibrates again once i'm back on the gas pedal or using cruise now that the Yokohama tires are on there. This to me would suggest powertrain (engine/transmission) issues and not the tires. I did have TSB 22-2224 performed yesterday at the dealer to try and take care of low speed low rpm vibration/shudder.
Sponsored

Csvt18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 SCEW (current), 2022 f150 (ordered)
A lot of us have this. Some after market tires some not. I do have slight vibration in steering wheel. I have 305/70 tires. All balanced. Weird thing is, on newly paved roads around my city it goes away. So I’m not sure if these new trucks just feel the road way more especially with bigger tires or what.

it’s puzzling. Especially since mine goes away at times.

OP
OP

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
Yeah it seems to be pretty common after doing some looking around…maybe I’m just not used to feeling much at all since I recently had a Ram 1500 Laramie. I never on my years would have thought I’d say it but that was the smoothest riding truck and the smoothest engine transmission combo with the 5.7 and 8 speed that I’ve ever had. If I had bought this ford to keep for a long time I would be pretty pissed about it. Luckily I’ll only keep it for another year or so and trade it off to something else because it’s a work truck.

Capecod

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 Max Tow
Occupation
retired
So i have 2022 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and i have a slight but constant vibration at or above 75MPH. I know the first thing people will say is tires. Well that's another story too...i' put BFG KO2 on at 2,000 miles and i drove on them for about 15,000 miles before i decided to start looking into possible issue with tires vibrating. I found out that one of the BFG tires road force balanced marginal. BFG would not do anything so i sold them to a co worker who was aware of the issue with the one tire and i bought a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W. The vibration was still there but worse...long story short ended up going through 7 Falken tires before we got 4 to pass a road force balance but there was still a slight vibration. Ended up returning the Falken tires while i could still get my money back and put a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT G015's on today. Things are better but there is still a slight vibration enough to make a car seat in the back rattle at times. Tire shop is saying that the Yokohamas all balanced out good with the highest having 15lbs of road force and the lowest being 10lbs of road force. Tire shop is telling me to go see Ford about potential driveline issue causing vibration. I haven't research road force balancing enough yet to be able to interpret the lbs of force to whether or not the tires are good and properly balanced. I've spent a bunch of time and quite a bit of money over the past few weeks trying to get the vibration gone thinking it is the tires but i'm beginning to believe it may be something in the driveline. I feel like Ford is going to blame aftermarket tires and the tire shop is going to blame Ford and i'll just be stuck in the middle running back and forth. Anyone else experience a similar situation or can shed some light on the road force numbers that they provided me? Thanks in advance!

Forgot to mention it seems to smooth out a little bit when letting off the gas and then vibrates again once i'm back on the gas pedal or using cruise now that the Yokohama tires are on there. This to me would suggest powertrain (engine/transmission) issues and not the tires. I did have TSB 22-2224 performed yesterday at the dealer to try and take care of low speed low rpm vibration/shudder.
Brand New 2022 F150 Noticed day of delivery. Highway speed vibration /drone in cab. Most noticeable 67 mph and up. 3.5 eco boost. Dealer replaced driveshaft and reports improved but still an issue. Waiting for phone call so I can road test. Not sure what the next step will be.

Capecod

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 Max Tow
Occupation
retired

My 2022 3.5 Eco F150 4x4 also smooths out letting off the gas or shifting to neutral and coasting at 65 plus MPH. Accelerate and issue is back. Less than 500 miles. New F150 should be very smooth and ride like a Caddy !

Sponsored

OP
OP

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
My 2022 3.5 Eco F150 4x4 also smooths out letting off the gas or shifting to neutral and coasting at 65 plus MPH. Accelerate and issue is back. Less than 500 miles. New F150 should be very smooth and ride like a Caddy !
I haven’t had mine back in yet but planning to touch base with my dealer about any updates when I’m due for service in a few weeks. The service manager told me to check back with him periodically and that he thinks Ford is working on another software update to try to help with the shudder/vibration that a lot of people are experiencing. I’ve come to think that it’s more of a miss fire than a transmission or torque converter issue but I could be wrong. Whatever it is I hope they get it fixed. I’m going to be in the market to trade by the end of 2023 and at this point I don’t know which brand I’m going to go with. There are negatives to all of them and Ford is by far the most expensive of them all at the moment.

Capecod

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 Max Tow
Occupation
retired
Thanks so much for your reply. Let's hope Ford gets really serious about fixing folks issues with these trucks. They are losing customers. BUT you are correct. All brands have negatives. Disappointed with the whole situation.

Capecod

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 Max Tow
Occupation
retired
I haven’t had mine back in yet but planning to touch base with my dealer about any updates when I’m due for service in a few weeks. The service manager told me to check back with him periodically and that he thinks Ford is working on another software update to try to help with the shudder/vibration that a lot of people are experiencing. I’ve come to think that it’s more of a miss fire than a transmission or torque converter issue but I could be wrong. Whatever it is I hope they get it fixed. I’m going to be in the market to trade by the end of 2023 and at this point I don’t know which brand I’m going to go with. There are negatives to all of them and Ford is by far the most expensive of them all at the moment.
Happy to report a new driveshaft solved the droning /rumbling/vibration issues above 67mph on my brand new 2022 super cab 4x4.
Sponsored