Sponsored

Ceramic Paint Coating - school me

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
I think that I need to be schooled on Ceramic Paint Coating. A friend just told me that he dropped $1800.00 having his truck detailed & Ceramic Coated. He was telling me what a great value that it.

Is this a process that I should consider? What is the benefit? Is it too late to do it to a truck that has been in use for 12k miles & 6 months. I would really appreciate it if some of you folks who know about this process can fill me in.
Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Nope, you can do anytime. But Ive had two done, 392 Charger and wifes new Black Highlander...looks super slick, paint looks so deep, and so easy to keep clean. Cleaning now is a breeze!

Ford F-150 Ceramic Paint Coating - school me IMG_20221112_131729_resized

Ford F-150 Ceramic Paint Coating - school me 38171735_240512819925057_6510560221847355392_n

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I've been thinking about PPF and ceramic. Recently went down a youtube hole. Here are some good ones to watch.

Domsz

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Welder
Hmmm good questions, I’m wondering what would be better PPF or ceramic paint coating ?

Willis494

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F350 Superduty Platinum,2010 Ford Expedition
I had a Ceramic Pro coating done on my 2018 black superduty and the local ceramic pro installer had 3 seperate packages availabl.Not all places are the same and dont do any paint correction and pre work to get the best surface prep BEFORE applying the ceramic coating and also how many layers of ceramic coating they apply.
I get so many comments of how deep and mirror like the truck looks to this day even after all the salt they use all winter in wisconsin that for me it was worth the $2000 for the silver package with a 5 year warrenty and hand washing is a breeze.if you look up Carisma Customs in Pewaukee,wisconsin their website has a whole section about ceramic coating and paint protection films..One thing to stress is once a good ceramic coating is applied any scratches will be very difficult to remove.IS it a necessity No but for some a good investment.

Sponsored

Dunthupl

First Name
Hunt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Hmmm good questions, I’m wondering what would be better PPF or ceramic paint coating ?
PPF is more durable/resilient. You're still going to be compound/polishing before PPF installation, the difference is a polymer* that is 0.10 - 0.30 thick vs +/- 20 microns. Some PPF have self-healing properties when exposed to heat. Ceramic coating also sits on top of perfected paint, but not going to stop a rock from chipping.

@MJ Heat $1800 is low to median (locally), just know what you're getting. A one-step polish with a ton of fillers will make anyone look good in 75% less time...when all those swirls miraculous appear a short time later, you'll know why it was so affordable. Similar to top tier gas, I'd suggest sticking with top tier coating manufactures. If you can't find it on top 10 most popular on Autogeek.com or similar, I'd avoid it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...s-cons-worth-the-investment.14171/post-289888

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
PPF on front, painted areas...ceramic rest.

Wifes Highlander is PPF on front and hood from factory.
Wished I had done it on my F150 painted bumpers.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
They dont compare. One is a film applied to protect from rock chips, the other is a "better wax" that does not protect from rock chips.

I do both on my vehicles (I dont pay thousands to have someone else do the ceramic coating, but rather use Adams Graphene Ceramic Spray myself for $50). This particular DIY ceramic will not last nearly as long as some of the professional jobs, but I do it when I first get the vehicle so very little paint correction needs to be done, and then do it yearly. But the PPF always goes on before even leaving the dealership so that I mitigate rock chips. The ceramic coating helps the car stay cleaner longer, makes it easier to clean, and makes it look awesome when clean (as pics above show).

Roush Auto Detailing

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A XLT PowerStroke
Occupation
Manufacturing Team Lead, Professional Auto Detailer
't
I think that I need to be schooled on Ceramic Paint Coating. A friend just told me that he dropped $1800.00 having his truck detailed & Ceramic Coated. He was telling me what a great value that it.!

Is this a process that I should consider? What is the benefit? Is it too late to do it to a truck that has been in use for 12k miles & 6 months. I would really appreciate it if some of you folks who know about this process can fill me in.
You can't go wrong with a ceramic coating. In my opinion, it is the best paint protection. As a few people have stated already, it will not protect against rock chip. Most PPFs wont either when you are going highway speeds and they are a pain to keep protected and glossy. Often times they become chalky (can't really fix that) and cracked. When they do crack, It is very expensive to remove and replace.

$1,800 is not too bad depending on the quality and lifespan of the coating. Be sure ask the detailer questions such as their process and products and level of paint correction that is included. Most detailers will ask you how much of the swirls you want removed. Also ask if they will be applying a ceramic to the textured black plastics or even wheels! You need to know what you are paying for so you are not disappointed with the service. The most important thing in the entire process is the coating itself. There are so many different coatings and levels of them out there. My particular company I am certified in (System X) has 4 different automotive coatings. 2 of which are lifetime warrantied. That does not mean they will last for 40 years, but they will be warrantied for life with annual inspections. When the coating fails, yes it WILL fail, the company will pay the installer to do apply it again.

The benefit of getting a ceramic is that they paint looks SO deep, glossy, feels super slick, and is unbelievably hydrophobic. The levels of these traits vary by the manufacture and longevity of the coating. It will also add resale value to any vehicle because the car will look newer and better kept.

You can do a ceramic at any date. Of course the sooner you do it the cheaper it will be because of the costs of paint correction or enhancement needed/desired by the client. I have a little bit of info on this my website, here. Feel free to check it out and ask any questions you may have! My ceramic coating company is also linked there to check out their info and products as well.

I also have a comment on the link shared by Dunthupl.

I hope you do decide to go the route of ceramics!
Sponsored