Sponsored

Can you remove the Partitioned Lockable Storage?

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
So I'm a little late to the party, put an order in for a Platinum with most of the options about a week ago, however one item I don't want is the lockable storage underneath the rear seats as I want the flat floor for my dogs to lay down on when we go on road trips.

Is this something that can be removed without the load floor looking awful? I ask because there's an almost exact retail order on the lot of a local dealer that I could snag right away, but as my Dogs are my kids... their comfort is paramount!
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
So I'm a little late to the party, put an order in for a Platinum with most of the options about a week ago, however one item I don't want is the lockable storage underneath the rear seats as I want the flat floor for my dogs to lay down on when we go on road trips.

Is this something that can be removed without the load floor looking awful? I ask because there's an almost exact retail order on the lot of a local dealer that I could snag right away, but as my Dogs are my kids... their comfort is paramount!
This is a guess but I think because the locking component is actually built into the seat that the actual storage parts are attached to the floor itself. As with anything I’m sure you could rip it out. But it’s not going back in!

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
I’ll take a look at my truck in the morning for you. I’d imagine it’s an accessory item, but I’ll try to confirm.

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
This image here makes the seat and the storage appear as two separate component assemblies, not an integrated one. But my concern is with how its potentially secured to the load floor, and what damage may have been caused to the carpeting upon installation.

Ford F-150 Can you remove the Partitioned Lockable Storage? 2021 F-150 underseat lock box bin 2

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Wouldn't it be easier to find a pad of some sort that is the approximate thickness of the folded storage unit and put it alongside the stowed storage unit so that the floor is essentially flat again for your dogs? Then you would have options depending on whether your kids were with you or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Wouldn't it be easier to find a pad of some sort that is the approximate thickness of the folded storage unit and put it alongside the stowed storage unit so that the floor is essentially flat again for your dogs? Then you would have options depending on whether your kids were with you or not.
I mean that would certainly be an alternative option, the question then is... where do I store a big ol' piece of foam when we're not road trippin' haha

Scrbumm11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Air Force
Don't they fold into the floor and go flat?

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Don't they fold into the floor and go flat?
They're not quite flat unfortunately. When folded they still stick up about 3/4" - 1".
So I suppose a more apt name would be "Foldable Nearly-Flat Lockable Storage"

Scrbumm11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Air Force
They're not quite flat unfortunately. When folded they still stick up about 3/4" - 1".
So I suppose a more apt name would be "Foldable Nearly-Flat Lockable Storage"
Ah okay, flat enough to put a dog bed or blankets on top I bet

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
@Chewza Being a mass produced vehicle, every single truck should have the mounting studs in the floor underneath the carpet. For that matter, every single truck likely gets the same carpet package and the screws that hold in the lockable partition storage are just pushed through the carpet or they use a punch to clear the holes prior to screwing down. Here is a video of the fold-flat storage removal on an F-250. Looks nearly identical to what comes in the 2021 F-150.

Last edited:

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Looking at video, the partitioned storage is easily removeable *but* leaves some holes in the carpet with (very much ? not dog friendly) threaded bolts. So, if you have partitioned storage and want a nice flat floor for your dogs, probably better dropping a dog bed on top of what is there - or buying the Ford full floor rear rubber mat and placing that on top of the existing half rubber mat / half storage to provide a flat floor?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Personally I hate the way dog hair just never ever fully comes out of car carpet so I would do this: 1) Now that you can see it is removable, snag the one on the lot that is available, 2) remove the partition storage, 3) get an FX4/weathertech/husky rear floor liner that would cover the carpet holes anyway (and take the bolts out with the partition storage and sell it?)

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Thanks for that video, and I'm starting to lean towards @daemonic3 's suggestion of getting a full rear floor mat in the event I nab the retail Platty and remove the lockable storage.

I've got a lease that's ending April 12th, and it's highly unlikely my truck will be built and delivered in time given what I'm seeing posted here about delays and people's wait times on these things.

The one downside about the Platty that's on the lot is that it doesn't have the Tow Mirrors, and it isn't Antimatter Blue.

SO... the question is, do I need the tow mirrors (I don't travel with a travel trailer frequently, however I did notice that the standard mirrors appeared less than ideal compared to my GC), and am I good with Carbonized Grey vs Antimatter Blue :p

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for that video, and I'm starting to lean towards @daemonic3 's suggestion of getting a full rear floor mat in the event I nab the retail Platty and remove the lockable storage.

I've got a lease that's ending April 12th, and it's highly unlikely my truck will be built and delivered in time given what I'm seeing posted here about delays and people's wait times on these things.

The one downside about the Platty that's on the lot is that it doesn't have the Tow Mirrors, and it isn't Antimatter Blue.

SO... the question is, do I need the tow mirrors (I don't travel with a travel trailer frequently, however I did notice that the standard mirrors appeared less than ideal compared to my GC), and am I good with Carbonized Grey vs Antimatter Blue :p
Oh man!! I want my tow mirrors so badly, and it was only a $250 option, compared to doing it aftermarket where I've seen some mention $1k. There are lots of folks that say once you go tow mirrors you will never want regular ones again. On flip side the regular mirrors when they match body color look pretty sweet (can't remember if Plat does that).

I would be so excited to get my truck immediately off the lot I don't know what I'd do in your sitch now (mirrors ? )

Lastly, unrelated to any purchase decisions, I was thinking about dogs in the cabin as well. Our trims will be leather so no permanent dog hairs trapped, and I will have a vinyl floor mat. But the underside of the rear seats is that short pile carpet! It's gonna be a dog hair magnet again. Have you thought about any way to cover it? Normally I'm gonna tether the dogs in the bed but if there is ever some rainy day and I have a vet appointment, that will permanently put dog hair in my cabin due to that underbelly carpet. If there is a velcro attach non-fabric liner I would absolutely buy one to block that carpet!

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
I don't carry the dogs often, but when we do it's typically for an extended period of time.

One option I thought about is trying to find a hook and loop Velcro that secures to that short pile carpet under the rear seats and attach that to a piece of fabric as a potential solution.

The other alternative might be to just place a bedsheet over the folded up rear seats when we travel to limit that.

But I've also found that a suction powered rotating vacuum head hooked up to my shop vac, coupled with a squeegee works wonders on my short pile carpet in the Grand Cherokee for getting the dog hair out.
Sponsored