Sponsored

Calling all AMB Color Owners: To Auto Car Wash or To Not Auto Car Wash

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
I have a 2023 AMB Tremor (v8 of course, thank you for asking), that is coming up on its one year anniversary.

So far she’s never seen an automatic car wash (the kind with the spinning brushes). Or put another way, I’m the guy with a great looking truck that is usually dirty.

I don’t have the time, or inclination to hand wash her very frequently. It’s not just lethargy, it’s also cold here a lot. Given this, I take her to the touchless car wash bays, which do an “okay” job.

However, my first wife has a membership to the local chain of Gas & Washes, so she takes her SUV in about once a week, or at least 3 times a month. So her ride is always looking great. Her SUV is silver, and I think metallic, but I don’t notice any swirl marks…..I only notice a great looking clean ride. I’m jealous.

So have any of my AMB brethren frequented these spinning brushes of doom? If so, whats your finish looking like? Still happy with the way things look? Any regrets?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Don't do it!!! You will regret it. It will swirl the FFF out of your beautiful paint.

spireland

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (planned), C8
Occupation
Medical Equipment
Lighter the color, harder it is to see swirls. Other than white, silver is one of the hardest colors to see swirls on. Dark colors like AMB or black are swirl magnets.

If you like clean, the way to do it easily is put a ceramic coating on it. Takes a weekend to do, and it will make the car/truck super hydrophobic so you can just take a pressure washer and dirt melts off of it. You can also use a less permanent coating like a high quality ceramic wax, they even come in sprays. Put a couple of coats on every few months and dirt will have a hard time sticking.

If you don't care, swirl installation machines are okay. Most people don't care. I like to treat the second most expensive thing I own well.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Lighter the color, harder it is to see swirls. Other than white, silver is one of the hardest colors to see swirls on. Dark colors like AMB or black are swirl magnets.
True, ^this^, IMO / IME.

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter

If you like clean, the way to do it easily is put a ceramic coating on it. Takes a weekend to do, and it will make the car/truck super hydrophobic so you can just take a pressure washer and dirt melts off of it. You can also use a less permanent coating like a high quality ceramic wax, they even come in sprays. Put a couple of coats on every few months and dirt will have a hard time sticking.

If you don't care, swirl installation machines are okay. Most people don't care. I like to treat the second most expensive thing I own well.
Nothing like a good quality ceramic coating. I had mine professionally installed. It wasn't cheap but neither was my truck. So much easier and faster to wash now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Ugh….I know you guys are right. New trucks are great….but old trucks come with less hassle. :sneaky:

A buddy of mine has an F250 Tremor in Blue Jeans….awesome color, and I think I like it more than AMB…..and it’s also metallic. He takes his through auto brushy car washes all the time and I can’t see swirl marks in his paint.

But yet, I still have reservations.

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
The previous owner had the truck detailed before I took possession of it. Not a mark! Also AMB.

I use a touch car wash. Touchless around me just doesn't get the vehicle all that clean. And honestly, it's a vehicle. It's going to get scratched, dented, etc. I have swirl marks, rock chips, door dings, etc. It sucks, but it is the way it is.

With that said, this was my first and last dark colored vehicle for numerous reasons.

Last edited:

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I have a 21 AMB platinum and it sees an automatic brush type wash at least a few times a year, mostly in the winter. The finish doesn't look bad after 2 winters, but then I'm not as picky as some people.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat 3.5L, 19 Ranger (previous)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Here's my routine. In my opinion it's a good compromise between a quality hand wash and a quick car wash.

This is all using the hand bay at the car wash. I usually try to go during off peak hours so the attendant doesn't fuss at me for hand washing in the bay. (I'm not...really)
  • Wet down with soap spray
  • Rub down with my car wash mitt from home (I throw it in the laundry between uses)
  • Spray wax
  • Spot free rinse

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
hand wash only here. not just my AMB truck either.
the micro swirls are visible over time on any color. you just don’t notice until they have gotten bad.
diy ceramic coatings aren’t difficult. you could even use the spray ones from any auto parts store. It does make a difference.

Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
If you get a ceramic coating it will help reduce swirl marks from the car wash. Not 100% protection but it helps.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
@WalterMitty I have had mine since May 2021 and go through every few weeks. Here is 7 weeks ago.

Ford F-150 Calling all AMB Color Owners:  To Auto Car Wash or To Not Auto Car Wash 2021 F150 Driver's Side 2 22_07 29

Ford F-150 Calling all AMB Color Owners:  To Auto Car Wash or To Not Auto Car Wash 2021 F150 Front - 23_09 11

Ford F-150 Calling all AMB Color Owners:  To Auto Car Wash or To Not Auto Car Wash 2021 F150 Passenger's Side - 23_09 11

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Here's my routine. In my opinion it's a good compromise between a quality hand wash and a quick car wash.

This is all using the hand bay at the car wash. I usually try to go during off peak hours so the attendant doesn't fuss at me for hand washing in the bay. (I'm not...really)
  • Wet down with soap spray
  • Rub down with my car wash mitt from home (I throw it in the laundry between uses)
  • Spray wax
  • Spot free rinse
That might be a good move….I might give that one a try tomorrow.

Out of curiosity what mitt do you use?

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat 3.5L, 19 Ranger (previous)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer