BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside

kgpuzio

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost XLT Max Tow
Last week, I installed the BAK X4S rolling tunneau on my 2022 F150. When I rolled the tunneau toward the cab, I noticed some divots on the aluminum on the underside of the cover. Some are small and some are large. When I called BAK Customer Service, they said, "this is how it's made in the factory" ... "most owners don't care about this" ... and "we can send you some touchup paint if you want."

Does this look normal to you? Do other folks have these divots?

FYI - The end caps also came broken and the passenger rail was not engaging/closing correctly. As they should, BAK customer service is sending me replacement parts.

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2950

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2951

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2931 (2)

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2941 (1)

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2928 (1)

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2927 (2)

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_2948 (2)
Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
No that's not normal by any means. It looks like the tool that created them was mis-aligned or something and punched the aluminum. I have the exact same bed cover and I don't have those "factory made" divots.

OP
OP
kgpuzio

kgpuzio

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No that's not normal by any means. It looks like the tool that created them was mis-aligned or something and punched the aluminum. I have the exact same bed cover and I don't have those "factory made" divots.
speedracrjr, would you be willing to send me a couple pictures of the underside of your cover -- zoomed int? i'd like to contact BAK customer service again and tell them this is not "normal"

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
It looks like a tooling issue like @speedracercjr said. I’ll have to check the one on my wife’s truck. I just received mine and I’ll open it up later to inspect it. I’ll let you know what I see.

Sponsored

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
That is exactly how my Revolver X4s looks. I had not noticed it before, as it is on the bottom of the cover & up inside the hinge sections. Mine went on with no problems & works exactly like I expected.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I'll check again, but I'm almost certain my X4S doesn't look like that on the bottom either.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
One of the corner end caps was broken when I received my X4S too. Super cheap/brittle plastic for such a high use location. I told them that and they sent me two per corner because I think they'll keep breaking. Otherwise, mine has held up and functioned well in ~10 months.

Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
speedracrjr, would you be willing to send me a couple pictures of the underside of your cover -- zoomed int? i'd like to contact BAK customer service again and tell them this is not "normal"

So here's what I got. The left side, it has the divots but they are not anything close to what you got
Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_3164
:

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_3163

And here is the right side. It does have some exposed aluminum, again nothing like yours though. I never noticed the raw aluminum before today though.

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_3165
Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside IMG_3166

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I have divots in mine too, but not raw metal.

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside 1000004029

Ford F-150 BAK X4S Rolling Tonneau - Divots in Aluminum Underside 1000004030

OP
OP
kgpuzio

kgpuzio

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you all for the comments and especially the pictures. @imnuts @speedracercjr

I would prefer not to have this exposed metal divots, but I'm going to accept the divots as a manufacturing flaw ... but not a major one that would affect the performance of the cover in any significant way. The vendor I bought this from -- RealTruck -- offered me the ability to return this, but it doesn't seem worth uninstalling the whole unit and waiting 2 weeks (or more) for another one.

On the good side, BAK shipped me 4 end caps and some paint. The end caps fit on perfectly.

I also figured out why passenger side rail was not closing correctly. When the end cap broke (during shipment), there was a very small piece of plastic that found its way into the passenger side rail. This probably happened when I unrolled the cover the first time -- during installation. The small piece of plastic was difficult to see and find, but very easy to remove after I saw it.
Sponsored