Sponsored

Anyone planning on adding a Catch Can on their Ecoboost or Powerboost engine?

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I have never owned a truck with an Ecoboost engine. There are a lot of posts touting the addition of a Catch Can to help keep the back of the valves clean. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’ve seen this mentioned a few times as well. Can those who know explain what a “catch can” is and does?

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve seen this mentioned a few times as well. Can those who know explain what a “catch can” is and does?
It's late, I'm tired, so I'll try to explain it in simple terms, but I may get some of this a little mixed up...

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System is a breather system that keeps the oil pan from being pressurized, but rather than venting to the atmosphere through a small breather filter on the valve cover like in the old days, the PCV system routes those gasses and oil vapors back through to the intake do to modern emissions standards.

The OEM PCV systems on naturally aspirated engines are typically adequate. On any turbo or supercharged engines the OEM PCV systems are typically inadequate, and they end up routing those oil vapors, water vapors, and gasoline vapors back through the intake and intercooler piping where they coat everything with an oily film, decreasing the heat transfer efficiency of the intercooler.

Catch cans essentially catch all that crap before it gets back to your intake system. Properly plumbed catch can systems can be complex, and they vent to the atmosphere and never go back into the intake so they are not emissions compliant. But they are pretty much a necessary mod if you want to get maximum efficiency out of your intercooler, want to keep your throttle body clean, and don't want to force all that crap through the compressor of your turbos.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
As of 2018 Ford updated the 2.7 to include both port and direct injection. You do not need a catch can for anything newer than 2018.
Was the 3.5 included in the update? If so, this is great news!

Sponsored

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
Also make sure you use an SN+ or better motor oil. It has a higher temperature tolerance and therefore does not vaporize as easily.

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
If you read forums you'll go crazy with worry about all the different problems your truck will have . My advice is don't stress about any of it, as you simply cannot predict which problem(s) your truck will or will not have. And as an all new model, it could easily have none of the ones described so far and a bunch of new ones nobody knows about yet! So, take it one day at a time, don't try to fix things that you don't know are broken yet. Just my 2c. I'm not worried about any of it, and if there are issues, that's what the warranty is for. My only hope is I don't get a lemon that's constantly in for repairs.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
The direct and port injection keeps us from having to have the valves nut blasted every 60k-80k miles, which is great. I wouldn't be considering an engine with DI only for that alone. But, port injection does not make a catch can unnecessary or obsolete. Not having a catch can on an engine with DI only can make the valve problem worse, but this is not the only reason for catch cans.

If you want to keep all that crap out of your intake, turbo compressors, and the intercooler and piping, you still need catch cans. Intercoolers coated in oil are not efficient, and throttle bodies and sensors fouled with that junk have to be cleaned much more often.

No one ever said catch cans have to be installed on day one if you don't want your truck to blow up. But if you are into modifications, a good catch can system is a great first mod, and I would never upgrade the intake or intercooler system without adding a catch can too.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did some research with all this catch can talk. This is a video thats pretty informative and simplifies it.

I wouldn’t mind adding one, but I’m worried about how it will affect the warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
If you read forums you'll go crazy with worry about all the different problems your truck will have . My advice is don't stress about any of it, as you simply cannot predict which problem(s) your truck will or will not have. And as an all new model, it could easily have none of the ones described so far and a bunch of new ones nobody knows about yet! So, take it one day at a time, don't try to fix things that you don't know are broken yet. Just my 2c. I'm not worried about any of it, and if there are issues, that's what the warranty is for. My only hope is I don't get a lemon that's constantly in for repairs.
You ever wonder about all the people that just buy a vehicle and drive it, without ever going on a Forum? Seems crazy :D I’m thinking less than 5% of people that buy cars actually research them.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Also make sure you use an SN+ or better motor oil. It has a higher temperature tolerance and therefore does not vaporize as easily.
The recommended oil in the owners manual is a SP specifiction.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great. Now you all have got me catch can crazy!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Great. Now you all have got me catch can crazy!
The best thing you can do for your engine is use a Top Tier fuel which has the higher detergent levels to help keep you intake and valves clean. The is tons of information on which gas brands are rated TT fuel.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/top-tier-gas-medicine-engine

https://thenewswheel.com/what-is-top-tier-detergent-gasoline-and-why-is-it-better-for-your-car/

List of TT fuel stations

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea, I’m pretty big about using quality gasoline. I also add a fuel injector cleaner every few thousand miles, so hopefully that will help.
Sponsored