Sponsored

Anyone else want to see Ford drop 6.8L V8 in the F150?

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I never understood why they chose the Predator in the Raptor R. I mean I understand, since it was already developed. But people seem to say the 7.3 is extremely robust internally, and can easily handle boost. Why not strap the s/c on that and easily surpass the 700/640 rating of the R
What would be the weight difference of a Godzilla and a supercharge and the predator?
Sponsored

Texas8709

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4
What would be the weight difference of a Godzilla and a supercharge and the predator?
Ford Performance Parts lists the Godzilla crate at 580lbs, and I've found some sources saying the Predator weighs around 530lbs. Obviously that's the Godzilla weight without a supercharger and the related accessories to that. But maybe that adds 100lbs. So it's about 150lbs more. Not ideal obviously, but that still brings it in a couple hundred pounds lighter than a TRX.
The first rumors of this new 6.8L v8 said that it would be based off the Godzilla, but with an aluminum block. That would have been a great platform as well, probably negate any weight disadvantage to the 5.2.

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
The first rumors of this new 6.8L v8 said that it would be based off the Godzilla, but with an aluminum block. That would have been a great platform as well, probably negate any weight disadvantage to the 5.2.
Aluminum block hey? What are the heads made from? Didn't GM suffer an issue with an aluminum block and some kind of head made from a different material that caused warpage? Common issue with mixed metal engines, no?

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I think bias on the nose is more an issue than overall weight for the application. For high speed off-road you really need that nose up.

Texas8709

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4
Aluminum block hey? What are the heads made from? Didn't GM suffer an issue with an aluminum block and some kind of head made from a different material that caused warpage? Common issue with mixed metal engines, no?
I'm not sure. The 7.3 (and 6.8 im assuming) are cast iron blocks with aluminum heads. I assumed these aluminum-blocked 6.8 rumors implied it'd be an all aluminum engine like the coyote and 5.2.
Even the 6.7 Powerstroke since 2011 has been graphite-iron block with aluminum heads. so if there were some issues with different metals for the block and heads, it seems they have it figured out

Sponsored

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Id love to see an all-aluminum 6.8L in the F-150. Sadly, I don't think it'll happen.

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Every few years you see something crazy like this and you have to laugh . First it was the mustang guys who swore they are getting the 6.8 and now everyone is like please put in the F150. Guys every Manufacture is under same pressure to go smaller . It makes sense in a SD because i think HD trucks are counted differently when it comes to emissions but the F150 is not getting a 6.8 or 7.3 . Makes absolutely zero sense. Heck they god rid of the 6.2 that was 411/434 and now the 6.8 making 405/445 , just don't see it in a F150 ? Those days are long gone .

OP
OP

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
Every few years you see something crazy like this and you have to laugh . First it was the mustang guys who swore they are getting the 6.8 and now everyone is like please put in the F150. Guys every Manufacture is under same pressure to go smaller . It makes sense in a SD because i think HD trucks are counted differently when it comes to emissions but the F150 is not getting a 6.8 or 7.3 . Makes absolutely zero sense. Heck they god rid of the 6.2 that was 411/434 and now the 6.8 making 405/445 , just don't see it in a F150 ? Those days are long gone .
Like i said in the first line of my post “I know it’s a pipe dream”. I never said I thought they would. Current market trends make that an impossibility. I was just asking if anyone else would like to see that because I sure as hell would.

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Like i said in the first line of my post “I know it’s a pipe dream”. I never said I thought they would. Current market trends make that an impossibility. I was just asking if anyone else would like to see that because I sure as hell would.
Much rather have a smaller turbo V8 if we are going for pipe dreams. :) 600/600 easily with a warranty.

waphilips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 502A, 5.0
I know it’s a pipe dream but does anyone else want to see Ford drop that 6.8L V8 in the F150? I’d love to have a pushrod V8 with no cylinder deactivation in a half ton again.
NO

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
Much rather have a smaller turbo V8 if we are going for pipe dreams. :) 600/600 easily with a warranty.
this ….
Sponsored