Sponsored

Anyone else find the pedal feel frustrating?

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
I've had a 2.0 EcoBoost in an Escape, a 3.5 EcoBoost in an Explorer Sport, and now the 3.5 PowerBoost in the F150. All of these engines have had turbo lag issues. At least that's my guess going from naturally aspirated vehicles the whole give it gas and it goes but in 1-second it goes like you wanted it to. Just a bit sluggish at the initial hit of the throttle. I just assumed this was turbo.

But.

I've driven my brother-in-laws F150 with the 2.7EB, and my wife just got a 2022 Ranger with the 2.3EB. Both of those engines have that "instant" hit low end torque that I miss. Sure my car after 1-second has much more power but initially there's a bit of a lag. This is in Normal mode on my PowerBoost, and in Sport sure things are a bit more lively but from an idle it just doesn't seem to respond and it carries the RPM's higher which the other two engines don't do. They just have a better low end responsiveness. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there something I can do to fix it? I can't believe these two smaller engines (with 2-less cylinders) feel more responsive than this "top of the line" engine.

Also.

The brakes. They are quite touchy. VERY touchy actually. It's clear they're not mechanical as in the traditional hydraulic brakes, they are electric and have a very slight strange, or unnatural, feel to them. Also, if I'm pulling in a parking spot for instance, and I want to creep forward 6" to get closer to the car in front, that is darn near impossible. In a "normal" car I would just let off the brake slightly and it would slowly creep up then stop when I'm ready. This you let off brake slowly nothing happens then electric motor kicks in and it lurches 6"-12". This is unnerving as this truck is long and I need to pull in FULLY to all spaces so I'm not hanging out but I'm afraid to get too close because you can't easily just pull forward 3" or something. There's also some kind of "emergency" logic *I think*. What do I mean? I've hit the brake kinda quickly and the minimal amount I hit it created a very fast reduction in speed (more than what I was expecting) whereas if I'm kinda slow on it the same level of "tap" would slow down more predictably.

I"m not sure if any of this makes sense, but there's some odd-ness in the pedal feel. The lag I noticed in my 2.0EB, 3.5EB and in the 3.5PB but the 2.3EB and 2.7EB did not have it. Has anyone else noticed any of this? Are there any suggestions? Maybe after market tunes? Though I'm hesitant to mess with my (extended) warranty I really would like to eliminate the lag if possible. Thanks
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Sorry for your experience. Personally I never liked the feel of the turbocharger. But the brakes on non-hybrid kinda suck too.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Brakes.. Sounds like you have autohold on. I had a similar problem and turned off autohold. Much better.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Make sure you do NOT have Active Hold ON, this is a setting in Sync, under Settings, Vehicle.

This will basically act like your foot is on the brake after you stop, until you punch the accelerator a little. Works great when in traffic, you come to a stop (at a light or stopped traffic) and you do NOT have to keep your foot on the brake.

However, when pulling into a tight fit (like a garage that you have to snug up to wall or cabinets in the front of the truck) it will make it, if not impossible, at least very scary, as you have to hit the acclerator, and then quickly slam the brakes to avoid going more than a couple of inches.

Pg 297 of the 2022 Owners Manual.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
to help the pedal, look at a Pedal Commander. want a more sensitive pedal, increase settings, or want less, take it down to Eco. Makes the driving experience much better, 5 minute install.

Sponsored

DEWAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT FX4 POWERBOOST
I thought I was the only one!
What I have also noticed - on certain days the trucks general "feel" is not the same as it was the day before... If that makes sense.

Some days the truck will move effortlessly with the lightest pedal application - other days its like driving a bus.

OP
OP

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
I do not have auto on, but will have to check to verify. If I let off the brake, it will roll forward (on elec or gas). But the threshold for going seems to be high, and once it does go it’s not necessarily the slow lurch I was wanting. It’s like at some point the elec motor kicks on and it “jumps”. Not feet, but if trying to “inch closer” to something and snug up as someone else stated, it is very scary and I’m sure sooner or later I’m hitting that pole, wall or whatever.

I thought about a tune, or pedal commander, but am worried about the effects on a warranty. Mind you the pedal feels good in “sport mode” but I don’t like how it runs the revs so high. Obviously to get a hybrid then drive it like I stole it doesn’t make sense. Should have opted for the 5.0 in that case.

But also, the lag and general lack of linear responsiveness off the line that I feel in this truck is similar to my 3.5EB explorer sport just more pronounced. My 2.0EB escape was similar. But I’ve noticed my brother in-laws 2.7 f-150 and my wife’s 2.3 ranger are all very responsive and linear off the line, if that makes sense. None of that “lag” but both are EB motors. What gives? Also, my wife’s ranger has a payload rating within 100lbs of mine. I have 1588lb in a F-150 fx4 crew cab with max tow packages. She has 14xx-lb in her fx4 lariat ranger (I forget exact think like 1460lb or so). Both crew cabs. Given that payload/tongue weight is my restriction for towing seems the F-150 in my case was only marginally more capable. I would talk about her better MPG too but let’s be honest, she’d probably be one that gets 24+ mpg in my truck because she’s a lot lighter on the pedal.

I’m still happy with my truck but I’m now starting to notice these quirks and I wish they weren’t here. But I did get 21.5mpg on the way in this morning.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I do not have auto on, but will have to check to verify. If I let off the brake, it will roll forward (on elec or gas). But the threshold for going seems to be high, and once it does go it’s not necessarily the slow lurch I was wanting. It’s like at some point the elec motor kicks on and it “jumps”. Not feet, but if trying to “inch closer” to something and snug up as someone else stated, it is very scary and I’m sure sooner or later I’m hitting that pole, wall or whatever.

I thought about a tune, or pedal commander, but am worried about the effects on a warranty. Mind you the pedal feels good in “sport mode” but I don’t like how it runs the revs so high. Obviously to get a hybrid then drive it like I stole it doesn’t make sense. Should have opted for the 5.0 in that case.

But also, the lag and general lack of linear responsiveness off the line that I feel in this truck is similar to my 3.5EB explorer sport just more pronounced. My 2.0EB escape was similar. But I’ve noticed my brother in-laws 2.7 f-150 and my wife’s 2.3 ranger are all very responsive and linear off the line, if that makes sense. None of that “lag” but both are EB motors. What gives? Also, my wife’s ranger has a payload rating within 100lbs of mine. I have 1588lb in a F-150 fx4 crew cab with max tow packages. She has 14xx-lb in her fx4 lariat ranger (I forget exact think like 1460lb or so). Both crew cabs. Given that payload/tongue weight is my restriction for towing seems the F-150 in my case was only marginally more capable. I would talk about her better MPG too but let’s be honest, she’d probably be one that gets 24+ mpg in my truck because she’s a lot lighter on the pedal.

I’m still happy with my truck but I’m now starting to notice these quirks and I wish they weren’t here. But I did get 21.5mpg on the way in this morning.
I can't comment on the brakes because I have a non powerboost 3.5 and I have no problem parking and easing up to a wall, however I can comment on your turbo lag. I have owned turbo charged Volvos for years and the lag in F150 is slightly more pronounced than my Volvo's . I believe it is because Volvo tuned the turbos to build boost earlier. My Volvos were rated full boost by 1800-2000 rpm. My sister in laws 2020 escape with the 2.0l eco boost does seem more lively off the line, but then again there is probably a 2000 lb difference. Unfortunately turbo lag is a problem due to its very nature.
Sponsored