Any Need for SAE Tools?

syne7

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost (Hybrid)
I am putting together some wrenches and sockets to keep in the truck. Is there any reason to put any SAE sized tools in there? Or are they truly all metric at this point.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My guess is that only the spark plug socket is in fractional inches.

Don’t forget some Torx sockets, extensions, swivels and maybe some deep offset wrenches.

I really wish that they would offer metric sets with 1/4”, 1/2” and 3/8” for the times that you need to deal with some random fasteners.

OP
OP
syne7

syne7

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost (Hybrid)
My guess is that only the spark plug socket is in fractional inches.

Don’t forget some Torx sockets, extensions, swivels and maybe some deep offset wrenches.

I really wish that they would offer metric sets with 1/4”, 1/2” and 3/8” for the times that you need to deal with some random fasteners.
Thanks. Are hex sockets needed too or just torx?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
That’s a good question, though a set of hex keys are always of value. My stepfather is always losing the correct SAE key for some set screw on one of his bench tools.

I was looking under the dashboard last night trying to answer someone else’s question and the thought occurred to me that you are probably just as likely to need a laptop, OBD cable and software to fix a new truck as a socket set.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
When I'm traveling I carry a tool set with both along with allens and torx. Plus battery operated impact and regular drill. It's not just for my vehicle which usually doesn't need anything, it's for where I end up. Never fails I'm always needing tools for something or someone.
Sponsored