Sponsored

Any harm to engine by disabling cylinder deactivation?

wizardfitz

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat superb 4x4
Occupation
driver
any harm to the engine disabling it?
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That's a very good question.

As I understand it, CD works by using oil pressure. Oil is pumped through a manifold that sits on top of the valvetrain. When the computer tells it to, it deactivates the valves for half the cylinders (presumably 2 in each bank). At the same time, the fuel injectors for those cylinders are shut down.

I suspect that "deactivating deactivation" could harm the engine if it is ever reactivated, when the ancient and crusty oil in the oil manifold is released back into circulation.

Depending on how it works, it seems like there could be a risk of starving other components of oil.

Better minds than I may disagree or have a better idea.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Not sure if it Rousch or Whipple, but one or both deactivate this system when a supercharger is installed (best of my recollection).
I believe the auto start/stop is shut down as well

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
From what I have seen and read about other manufacturer's cylinder deactivation; if anything, disabling it is better for the engine!
It may be! But we don't have a lot of information on how it works. I believe oil starvation was the cause of problems with GM motors, but that was a different design.
I'm going to do some research.

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Not sure if it Rousch or Whipple, but one or both deactivate this system when a supercharger is installed (best of my recollection).
I believe the auto start/stop is shut down as well
Whipple does, and mine came without the Stop/start...they billed me $50 on the window sticker, I was like...Ok...LOL

koalabob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 Screw Lariat 501A
Occupation
Retired
Look more closely at your window sticker....the $50.00 is a DEDUCTION they gave you for not having the function. Personally, I'd pay double that not to have it!
Sponsored